TaylorMade SuperLaunch Hybrid Review

Jake is a big hitter who likes big hits
WAIT!! Your hitting 215-230 with the 21*? Holy crap. I thought that was with the 18*

So the 18* model doesn't have you a bit curious at all?
Nah, I was worried all along that the 18* would be too close to my 3 wood so the fact that with the 21* in there I see very little gaps now makes me happy.

WAIT!! Your hitting 215-230 with the 21*? Holy crap. I thought that was with the 18*
I used both for review, but the shot on that par 5 and the on course stuff was the 21* yes.

Nah, I was worried all along that the 18* would be too close to my 3 wood so the fact that with the 21* in there I see very little gaps now makes me happy.

I used both for review, but the shot on that par 5 and the on course stuff was the 21* yes.

Ahh ok. Well now you have me in a tough spot. Was going to grab this to compare it to the mashie and Like you I will be going from 3w (15*) and need a hybrid to fill in between the 3w and 4i (21*) hmmm. Go 21* to get close to the 4i, or go 18* to have an extra club to tee off with and hit into par 5s.

Ahh ok. Well now you have me in a tough spot. Was going to grab this to compare it to the mashie and Like you I will be going from 3w (15*) and need a hybrid to fill in between the 3w and 4i (21*) hmmm. Go 21* to get close to the 4i, or go 18* to have an extra club to tee off with and hit into par 5s.
You'll hit the 21* hybrid further than you will the 21* 4i because of the mass alone. The biggest thing that scared me about the 18* was the difference between that and my 4i would have been around 20 yards or more and that's with taking some off the 18* so for me it was much more seamless to go with the 21*. If I have say 245 yards in and I'm afraid that's a little too short for my 3 wood and maybe a little too much for my hybrid then I would at a spot to be laying up to a good solid # anyway. Or in reality I'd hit 3 wood because most of the time unless I really completely crush it I won't go too much past that distance anyway.

To me it boils down to more of a comfort level for the club, if I know I can for sure hit it 210 to 220 and most of the time consistent then I'd rather have that over one that I just couldn't 100% count on when I really need it. A hybrid is definitely one of those clubs that you really need to be able to trust and execute with in my opinion.

exactly! If I'm not having a good day on the tees with the driver, I'll use a hybrid almost exclusively. less distance but at least I'm outta the trees
A hybrid is definitely one of those clubs that you really need to be able to trust and execute with in my opinion.

You'll hit the 21* hybrid further than you will the 21* 4i because of the mass alone. The biggest thing that scared me about the 18* was the difference between that and my 4i would have been around 20 yards or more and that's with taking some off the 18* so for me it was much more seamless to go with the 21*. If I have say 245 yards in and I'm afraid that's a little too short for my 3 wood and maybe a little too much for my hybrid then I would at a spot to be laying up to a good solid # anyway. Or in reality I'd hit 3 wood because most of the time unless I really completely crush it I won't go too much past that distance anyway.

To me it boils down to more of a comfort level for the club, if I know I can for sure hit it 210 to 220 and most of the time consistent then I'd rather have that over one that I just couldn't 100% count on when I really need it. A hybrid is definitely one of those clubs that you really need to be able to trust and execute with in my opinion.

Great points! Also, I guess if I decided to drop the 4i, it would not be that big of a deal, since the 4 hybrid would be close enough to that were I would not lose anything. If mashie comes around for me to then I could have M2 and SuperLaunch 4 in the bag and just drop the 4i. Only thing im worried about is that I need at least get 10-15 yards more in the 21* 4 hybrid over the 21* 4 iron or there would be basically no point in buying the 4 hybrid.

To be honest, 4i is just kind of in the bag for low stingers, punch shots and the occasional hit, maybe use it actually to hit into a green 1 time every 2-3 rounds. I guess its more of a tough situation club for me so I can get out of bad spots, but still would like to get 10-15 more yards out of the 4 hybrid. I need a 210-225 yard club.

Jake, are you more consistent with this hybrid than you are your 3wood?

you could use your 5i for this too...just move the ball back in your stance a bit
Great points! Also, I guess if I decided to drop the 4i, it would not be that big of a deal, since the 4 hybrid would be close enough to that were I would not lose anything. If mashie comes around for me to then I could have M2 and SuperLaunch 4 in the bag and just drop the 4i. Only thing im worried about is that I need at least get 10-15 yards more in the 21* 4 hybrid over the 21* 4 iron or there would be basically no point in buying the 4 hybrid.

To be honest, 4i is just kind of in the bag for low stingers, punch shots and the occasional hit, maybe use it actually to hit into a green 1 time every 2-3 rounds. I guess its more of a tough situation club for me so I can get out of bad spots, but still would like to get 10-15 more yards out of the 4 hybrid. I need a 210-225 yard club.

Got mine in about an hour ago. Looking forward to taking it out for a spin tomorrow.

I didnt really look at it that well earlier, just a glance then stuck it in the bag....

I have to give props to global golf here. This is my 6th club bought from them and they go off a "New, Mint, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair" rating system. I bought it in "very good" condition at a super low price ($80 including shipping) and there very good is usually most peoples excellent, but I was just shocked when I looked at it. This club is spotless, doesnt look like a single ball has touched the face. I mean it can almost pass as new. Needless to say, im extremely happy and cant wait to hit it.

Mini first impressions review

Mini first impressions review

TaylorMade SuperLaunch 3h (18*)-stiff

Little comparison to the mashie of what Im seeing so far.
Have hit this on the range a couple of times now and seeing what it has to offer, I can easily say that its a beast of a club. Its a little longer than the mashie but doesnt feel as good nor has the shaft like the miyazaki in the mashie. The sound is also completley different. Mashie has the more iron like sound were the SuperLaunch is your fairway wood or driver like "ping" sound. I also think the SuperLaunch might be lighter, its hard to tell though without actually having them both in hand. It just felt a little lighter to me.

First range session was just terrible, I had to put it in the bag after 5 shots and decide I would just come back the next day. Ya, it was that bad.

When I got to the range for the second time the conditions were perfect. Little wind and about 70 degrees. First few shots were all hooks, and I thought oh man here we go again just like I did with the mashie. Next few big draws then all of a sudden something just clicked. I finally realized that I could make just a simple tweak in my hands in my swing to open up the face just a little, in other words, try to hit a fade, and it worked out perfect. After that, ball after ball just flew off the face straight down the range with either a baby draw or slight fade.

I did have a hard time keeping it low on shots that I would hit on windy days as with the mashie it was really easy and i think that has everything to do with the shaft. The RE AX 60 gram shaft is high launching and I noticed I hit it quite a bit higher than the mashie. Which isnt a bad thing since it would land soft going into greens. However, I would love to put the Miyazaki Hybrid shaft in it to see what it did.

So far, Im impressed of what it has to offer and hopefully it continues.

Back