TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

hehe dont we all! as well as im hitting hybrids - i dont think ill bag a 3 or 4 iron. But i love the idea of building a combo set with these.

Maybe....
MB - PW;
MC - 7,8,9;
CB - 4,5,6

just a thought - i havent even hit them yet.

While at the Kingdom we noticed that some of the TMag guys had a variety of irons in their bags. I think some had a mix set of CB,MC, and MB's. I didn't personally get to ask them why they went with different clubs in their bags. But many of them, and others on this forum seemed to like the versatility of having different forged irons in their bags.

Ok so I went and hit the MC and MB today to reafirm that I made the right choice. The CB have grown more and more on me. I am happy that I decided to stick with a set with AW. That thing is money. I loved my R9 AW as I could drop it in from anywhere in 100, I love this AW. Aside from that, sometimes my hands hurt after hitting a few hosel rockets from the MB, very few from the MC. The CB's offer that level of forgiveness I like (MC arent bad ether). Some folks have noticed that the CB get the ball up. If I were to guess, my ball flight is negliable between the CB and MC, maybe a little higher in the CB. I get a little bit more distance with these with less effort than the MC's. I could game both, but my game will evolve with these for awhile.

Range numbers today with frozen, crappy range balls.

4i- 215 ish, straight mid ball flight. The ball wants to go. Did not mishit any today. WOO
5- Around 200. same as above.
6- 175 ish, I missed a couple, didnt bother looking where they ended up. Club told me bad swing Mark
7- 160 ish. dead straight with a little higher flight
PW- 120 ish nice and high, ball just dropped and stopped.
AW- wherever I wanted within 90. Nice and high, drop and stop.

These clubs seems to be working excellent for me. I have gained a lot of confidence as a results of the club telling me bad shot. I feel that these emplor you to hit well and reward you when you do. I also love what I see and hear when struck good. It is like butter getting thwacked. I am very happy as stated with these.

Questions regarding these pretty ladies, just ask
Cheers

Had a good round with the CB's today. Turf interaction was good considering I came in steep and too far behind the ball on a lot of shots where I kept thinking 'ball first' but still managed to hit a straight shot albeit shorter than what the shot called for. It was pretty cold out there today and these irons definitely let me know where I was mis hitting on the club face when I did manage to catch a shot clean without a chunk of grass between the ball and my club. I don't find these overly long for me and I miss some of that distance but the ball gets up in the air pretty quick and had a nice high flight with soft landings whenever possible. The feeling that these clubs give you on a pured shot is like an instant high and lasts until the ball lands where it's supposed to (or not) Not very forgiving on the toe which is my common miss but on shots where I leave the clubface open too much coming through the ball the feeling is the same but obviously the results are not. Except for fatted shots, these irons make you not hate your mistakes too much. Even thinned shots seem to hold their line well in the air. These irons are interesting to say the least

Had a good round with the CB's today. Turf interaction was good considering I came in steep and too far behind the ball on a lot of shots where I kept thinking 'ball first' but still managed to hit a straight shot albeit shorter than what the shot called for. It was pretty cold out there today and these irons definitely let me know where I was mis hitting on the club face when I did manage to catch a shot clean without a chunk of grass between the ball and my club. I don't find these overly long for me and I miss some of that distance but the ball gets up in the air pretty quick and had a nice high flight with soft landings whenever possible. The feeling that these clubs give you on a pured shot is like an instant high and lasts until the ball lands where it's supposed to (or not) Not very forgiving on the toe which is my common miss but on shots where I leave the clubface open too much coming through the ball the feeling is the same but obviously the results are not. Except for fatted shots, these irons make you not hate your mistakes too much. Even thinned shots seem to hold their line well in the air. These irons are interesting to say the least

I find a good heel shot when I get em are killers. As for distance, there are longer clubs, I should have hit some 2.0's to compare. Hanks, you found the ball goes high (as did some others), which is subjective, do you mean ballon high? I think the flight is awesome. I still believe these are point and shoot, mix in what you want (for a latter and better testing day). I have the same handicap by the way...lol

Definitely not baloon high, just a high trajectory that gives a nice soft landing. The CB's really get the ball in the air quickly and they stay there until they come down. I agree with you about the heel misses, I wish I had more of those as opposed to the toe misses which is where shots go to die on the face of these. However, these are pretty straight and accurate whn you're hitting them well. Right now I don't hit them as well as I did when I first got them for testing.
I find a good heel shot when I get em are killers. As for distance, there are longer clubs, I should have hit some 2.0's to compare. Hanks, you found the ball goes high (as did some others), which is subjective, do you mean ballon high? I think the flight is awesome. I still believe these are point and shoot, mix in what you want (for a latter and better testing day). I have the same handicap by the way...lol

Good update Hanks. I think the CBs give the best combination of feel and forgiveness available out there from all the irons I've tested. They do launch the ball high, in comparison to say the MCs (and I'm sure the MBs), but not outrageously high from my experience. I've said this before and I'll say it again... in my perfect world where money is no object, I would switch out my MC 5 and 4 iron for the CBs for that added forgiveness and higher ball flight in those specific irons. Where I typically struggle with too high of a ball flight in the scoring irons, the MCs launch it perfectly for me. But when I hit Hank's CBs a couple weeks ago, they weren't ballooning out of control either. These are just good all around irons.

Definitely not baloon high, just a high trajectory that gives a nice soft landing. The CB's really get the ball in the air quickly and they stay there until they come down. I agree with you about the heel misses, I wish I had more of those as opposed to the toe misses which is where shots go to die on the face of these. However, these are pretty straight and accurate whn you're hitting them well. Right now I don't hit them as well as I did when I first got them for testing.

Hanks, do you feel the ball flight and trajectory compare to the 2.0s at all? When I hit the CBs I thought the scoring irons were spot on in getting the ball up in a hurry, but 4-6 had a lower ball flight. Thoughts...???

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Both are different in their own ways...how's that? lol The 2.0's are longer and high but penetrating where I think the CB's go high but not with a penetrating flight at all, especially in the 7-PW clubs. The 2.0's are more forgiving as well I think.

Hanks, do you feel the ball flight and trajectory compare to the 2.0s at all? When I hit the CBs I thought the scoring irons were spot on in getting the ball up in a hurry, but 4-6 had a lower ball flight. Thoughts...???

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I have only played one round with these and they felt so natural. Like a better R9 TP. My yardages pretty much stayed the same and the DG XP's are a great light weight shaft option. Just the right amount of offset. They look great at address. I also found them to have great feel and have to be the most forgiving forged club I have ever hit. My problem with the MP-53's was that they lost forgiveness moving toward the toe. Not the case with these, a miss to the toe side of the sweet spot still stayed on line and lost little distance.Thanks to all the reviews from the testers here at THP. It helped me narrow down my options and I couldn't be happier. These are a great set irons.

i dont think this set would have these type of features, what type of irons are you looking for? blade, forged etc.

The new TMs look good, maybe the CB or MC. I would love to have forged irons but a little concerned about durability since I play 225-275 rounds per year. I may splurge one time on forged to see how they hold up.

Played with these today and really enjoyed them. The impact sound leaves you wanting to hit them more and more and it gives the perception of an incredible feel. I had really good success with these today and it was a great day to test irons. No real wind in the early AM, and working on just hitting at greens. What I found is an iron that really suits my game in terms of feel, look, sound and playability. It is not the most forgiving iron out there, but at the same time, it is not supposed to be.

These are causing me to ponder just a little bit...:act-up:

hah! those cg16 have made a home in that bag of yours :)

Played with these today and really enjoyed them. The impact sound leaves you wanting to hit them more and more and it gives the perception of an incredible feel. I had really good success with these today and it was a great day to test irons. No real wind in the early AM, and working on just hitting at greens. What I found is an iron that really suits my game in terms of feel, look, sound and playability. It is not the most forgiving iron out there, but at the same time, it is not supposed to be.

Oh oh (waving hand in the air), what are you pondering. I really like these clubs. I agree that they are not the most forgiving, but the sound and feel is intoxicating. Did you find distance and accuracy to be surprising? Did you like the stock set up?

I had about 2 minutes in the golf store to look at the CBs and MCs (and MBs for that matter). The muscle backs.......wow, just beautiful blades. Then I looked at the irons I can actually game. The CBs have a thicker top line and a little more offset than my current irons. It's kind of weird to look at. One thing I liked about the CBs was that despite a substantial cavity (compared to my current irons at least), the two tone back gives the illusion of a more shallow cavity. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to hit them, only one simulator was up, and some junior higher was going crazy in it.

It's going to be a really tough decision. I hit my irons well now, they're just old, and these seem to be the first TM iron that make me think, 'I could buy these and play them for 10 years.' What's really going to be tough is deciding between the MCs and the CBs. I need to set my ego aside and choose the club that I play the best, not just what the pros play best with.

Speaking of pros, I spent 5 minutes replaying a shot from Bay Hill in slow motion. I think it was KJ Choi, but I could have swore he was hitting a TM TP CB iron? I've seen plenty of pros hitting the MCs and MBs, but I haven't seen the CBs out there yet.

I'm jealous, but glad to hear that you enjoyed them so much.

I played yesterday and today and really had the exact opposite conditions, which made testing these very difficult. It didn't get above 35° either day and the winds were in the 20-25mph range. Really, just ridiculous and I don't think I'm playing in conditions like that again. They sort of take the fun out of everything.

Anyway, to the CB's. I'm still loving the feel and ballflight on well struck shots. I'm not loving the level of forgiveness and distance right now. Today was one of those days where nothing much went right and these irons certainly magnified the issues I was having. I was doing well with the 7-PW (when I didn't chunk the ball), but the 5 and 6 irons were not working very well for me. I was having issues with losing the ball right with both irons. Not saying that I would have not had similar issues with any other iron, but we have to share the good and the bad. I was losing anywhere from 2-4 clubs due to the freezing temps and wind and I was having a very tough time getting the ball to go anywhere. Nicely struck shots looked awesome, but they were dropping some times as much as 20-30 yards short after they got caught up in the wind. I would have loved a longer set of irons this weekend. Yes, I know I should have picked a different club, but then I would have just been playing driver/Mashie golf. That said, I know that my results this weekend are not in any way typical, but it was tough to come away loving these guys today.

So I finally got to spend some real good time with these clubs today. While I was at the Kingdom I was able to hit these a little bit, but there was so much to hit I didn't dedicate enough time with them. I went to a local TM demo day today and hit the TM 2.0s and CB's. I really wanted to compare the ball flight, distance, and consistency of each club. The wind was blowing kind of hard today. It may have affected the ball flight a little bit but not much. I started off with the TM 2.0's and right away I really liked the distance I was seeing. The ball was "clicking" off of the face and creating great ball flight but I wasn't a huge fan of the stock shaft. Some of my mishits ballooned into slices. I then switched to the 6 iron CB and right away the club started talking to me. The ball flight was amazing, the feel was extraordinary. The ball burst through the air and was consistently straight. The ball was doing everything I wanted it to do with such ease. After demoing each club I hit some FW's and rescues and talked myself into being fitted for the CB's and 2.0's. This was my first time being fitted for irons and I was very excited but I was very educated on the process, after reading so many forum post about fitting.

My pro shop fitter was very thorough. He let me warm up by hitting about 10-15 balls with each club. He asked me what I was looking for in a club and what I wanted my clubs to do for me. After hitting the 2.0's, I explained to him that distance wasn't a big factor for me, rather accuracy and consistency. He handed me the CB's and after the first three balls, he told me the CBs just looked so much crisp than the 2.0's. My ball flight was great, the distance was slightly less than the 2.0's, but my shots were consistent and straight.

My fitter went back and forth making me hit the 2.0 and the CB. At the end of hitting a slew of balls and the 5,6,7,8 irons, I decided that the CB was the new club for me. We went through the rest of the fitting process and we discovered that I was a stiff flex (I've always assumed I was a regular), and a +1/2 length, and a +2 degree lie angle.

In a head to head comparison the 2.0's were excellent, they did what they were built for, but in the end I personally did not feel like they were the clubs for me. The CB's felt like an extension of my body and we so fluid and smooth. I've been reading the preaching of getting fit for clubs on the forum for quite some time now and now after going through the Kingdom driver fitting and now my own iron fitting I will be preaching the praises of club fitting as well. AMEN!

I know these clubs will drastically change my game for the better. Thanks to all of the reviewers of the CB's for helping to put these clubs on my radar.

great thoughts Hawk and Mardin

Wow, Mardin! That's too cool buddy. I can't wait to great how they work for you when you get them in your hands. Congrats dude!

So I finally got to spend some real good time with these clubs today. While I was at the Kingdom I was able to hit these a little bit, but there was so much to hit I didn't dedicate enough time with them. I went to a local TM demo day today and hit the TM 2.0s and CB's. I really wanted to compare the ball flight, distance, and consistency of each club. The wind was blowing kind of hard today. It may have affected the ball flight a little bit but not much. I started off with the TM 2.0's and right away I really liked the distance I was seeing. The ball was "clicking" off of the face and creating great ball flight but I wasn't a huge fan of the stock shaft. Some of my mishits ballooned into slices. I then switched to the 6 iron CB and right away the club started talking to me. The ball flight was amazing, the feel was extraordinary. The ball burst through the air and was consistently straight. The ball was doing everything I wanted it to do with such ease. After demoing each club I hit some FW's and rescues and talked myself into being fitted for the CB's and 2.0's. This was my first time being fitted for irons and I was very excited but I was very educated on the process, after reading so many forum post about fitting.

My pro shop fitter was very thorough. He let me warm up by hitting about 10-15 balls with each club. He asked me what I was looking for in a club and what I wanted my clubs to do for me. After hitting the 2.0's, I explained to him that distance wasn't a big factor for me, rather accuracy and consistency. He handed me the CB's and after the first three balls, he told me the CBs just looked so much crisp than the 2.0's. My ball flight was great, the distance was slightly less than the 2.0's, but my shots were consistent and straight.

My fitter went back and forth making me hit the 2.0 and the CB. At the end of hitting a slew of balls and the 5,6,7,8 irons, I decided that the CB was the new club for me. We went through the rest of the fitting process and we discovered that I was a stiff flex (I've always assumed I was a regular), and a +1/2 length, and a +2 degree lie angle.

In a head to head comparison the 2.0's were excellent, they did what they were built for, but in the end I personally did not feel like they were the clubs for me. The CB's felt like an extension of my body and we so fluid and smooth. I've been reading the preaching of getting fit for clubs on the forum for quite some time now and now after going through the Kingdom driver fitting and now my own iron fitting I will be preaching the praises of club fitting as well. AMEN!

I know these clubs will drastically change my game for the better. Thanks to all of the reviewers of the CB's for helping to put these clubs on my radar.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Hawk and Mardin great write ups. I especially enjoyed how each person felt and described their personal opinions while testing/fitting. That is what makes this site so interesting.

Look at Mardin getting his groove on with the new sticks! Congrats on finding something that works for you bud.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I want to hit these. You guys aren't helping.

Careful Mr. Team Callaway :p

I want to hit these. You guys aren't helping.

I'm still a man SW!!! Doesn't mean I'm gonna bag them, but I want to experience what everyone else is.

I'm still a man SW!!! Doesn't mean I'm gonna bag them, but I want to experience what everyone else is.

I loved them man, a week later i'm still thinking about them.

I know dude, couldn't pass up an opportunity to rib ya a bit. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a demo day up your way yet or that golf usa doesn't have them.

Back