Taylormade Tour Preferred MC Iron Review Thread

I wonder if it depends on your miss? I've been hitting the Nike Vapor pretty regularly at the PGA Tour Superstore for the last 6 weeks, and I can't seem to find the sweet spot as consistently as I do the MCs.

My miss is low on the face, heel/toe shots are very rare. The low on the face shot is handled well by the MCs.
You may be right on the low miss. the MCs were great for me. So far, I just found something that I wanted more.

I had plenty of success with the MCs. I dropped my index below 7. As much as I love golf, I like making the game easier.

I agree to an extent. .....like your driver for instance. ....that wreaks of "not easier but I like everything about it" vs. say g30.......BG , you've been a straight up guy here and I truly appreciate your input......I had the same issues with VPC as Lordemsworth did......trust me , I wanted to #VAPORIZE! The J15 cb has my interest but won't be released until April/May. ......

I'm not trying to be defensive about me strongly liking the MC'S. ....just counter the thoughts of others and question the reasons behind those thoughts. .....that's all......I play again Tuesday. .....big opportunity for the MC to continue with those final 3 swings!

How would you compare the MCs to the J40s or the AP2s? I assume, maybe incorrectly, that the J40s would have a softer feel and the AP2s and MCs would be somewhat similar. How about distance/forgiveness? (I know these are all players' irons but they're not MBs so I would expect a little help.)

I agree to an extent. .....like your driver for instance. ....that wreaks of "not easier but I like everything about it" vs. say g30.......BG , you've been a straight up guy here and I truly appreciate your input......I had the same issues with VPC as Lordemsworth did......trust me , I wanted to #VAPORIZE! The J15 cb has my interest but won't be released until April/May. ......

I'm not trying to be defensive about me strongly liking the MC'S. ....just counter the thoughts of others and question the reasons behind those thoughts. .....that's all......I play again Tuesday. .....big opportunity for the MC to continue with those final 3 swings!
No worries. again. I really liked the MCs. My driver isn't really part of the question. It was a fitting issue that lead me there.

Like the MCs. I did. I'm sure they can be had for a song.

How would you compare the MCs to the J40s or the AP2s? I assume, maybe incorrectly, that the J40s would have a softer feel and the AP2s and MCs would be somewhat similar. How about distance/forgiveness? (I know these are all players' irons but they're not MBs so I would expect a little help.)
As far as forgiveness and playability, the MBs didn't offer anything the MCs didn't. There isn't a ton of forgiveness in this set. They are plenty soft as well. I can't really tell softness anymore. Well struck all feels like well struck to me. Regardless of iron.

Would you say they are less forgiving than the J40s and AP2s?

Would you say they are less forgiving than the J40s and AP2s?

I have the J40 DPCs and I think they're more forgiving than the MCs. Heads are larger, too. I'll put them side by side tonight to check. Distance was similar.

I have the J40 DPCs and I think they're more forgiving than the MCs. Heads are larger, too. I'll put them side by side tonight to check. Distance was similar.

I've had the AP2 (both 712 and 714). I think the AP2 were more forgiving, but I definitely think the MC FELT better.

Anything with a bigger head, by definition, will be more forgiving.

Last year, I had them both at the same time, and though I was fit with the XP95 shaft in the AP2, I found my distances inconsistent. I blame it all on strike. I wasn't making consistently good contact. After one particularly poor round, I put the MCs back in the bag.

I played a short course that day, but I hit 8/9 greens from 165 and under. The MCs handled my thin miss well.

And much like any equipment junkie, I sold them a month later., because I was stoked about the press the Vapor Pro Combos were getting.

Much to my chagrin, the VPC wasn't a good head for me. I found a backup set with KBS Tour shafts that hadn't even been hit for a really good price.

This year, I've hit everything, and I'm done to either my Ping i20s or the MC.
I've just hit the RSi TP, and actually found the feel across the face compromised because of the face slots. Kind of bleh.

To each their own.

Happy to answer any further questions.

Taylormade Tour Preferred MC Iron Review Thread

Bumping up an old thread. As the #1 player in the world is still playing the line heading into Augusta! Although i think he has the MB's

Worst thing I ever did was unload my MC's. I loved them. I am hoping the P770s I have on order restore a bit of the lost magic.

Worst thing I ever did was unload my MC's. I loved them. I am hoping the P770s I have on order restore a bit of the lost magic.

Never spent a whole lot of time with this release but these had rave reviews.

Either the 2014 MC's or the TP CB's are in my bag on a given day at the course. I love both sets and I mix in the matching TP UDI Driving Irons with both these sets as well!...:love:

tp mc iron.jpg
tp cb iron.jpg
UDI.jpg

Man these still look good!

Great, now I miss mine.

I picked up a barely used set of these last fall. They were a bit intimidating at first(had SGI previously) but the look and feel of these irons were worth it!

Anyone still gaming these? I have the ability to pick up a new set for a good price...They have a lot of the things im looking for in an iron switch (less sole...less offset...traditional lofts). I am just afraid of wasting money for a blade that i cant game...currently playing off of a 12 cap...irons are above average part of my game...but nothing special.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Anyone still gaming these? I have the ability to pick up a new set for a good price...They have a lot of the things im looking for in an iron switch (less sole...less offset...traditional lofts). I am just afraid of wasting money for a blade that i cant game...currently playing off of a 12 cap...irons are above average part of my game...but nothing special.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I played them. I enjoyed them. They are not very forgiving. They were not especially long. Irons have come a long way in the time since these irons were released.

I played them. I enjoyed them. They are not very forgiving. They were not especially long. Irons have come a long way in the time since these irons were released.

Welp there goes that idea! lol...thank you

Thanks for the thoughts!
I've got a set of the 2014 MC irons and I really like them. I don't find them all that harsh although they're no GI iron either. They're a muscle cavity not a blade too. Funny thing with these is the long irons are actually really nice. Not bombers but not short either. Worth getting if you're getting a great deal but I wouldn't spend too much on em though. They're such nice looking irons too.

I've got a set of the 2014 MC irons and I really like them. I don't find them all that harsh although they're no GI iron either. They're a muscle cavity not a blade too. Funny thing with these is the long irons are actually really nice. Not bombers but not short either. Worth getting if you're getting a great deal but I wouldn't spend too much on em though. They're such nice looking irons too.

I can get them for $400 brand new with TT DG Tour Issue S400

I can get them for $400 brand new with TT DG Tour Issue S400
Not a bad price for new. You could probably find a used set on eBay for about half that if you wanted less of a risk though.

Back