Tell me what is your favorite utility iron and why.

I like my King One utility. The adjustability is what sold me on it.

I like my King Utility Black One 4. Never touched the hosel once. The ease of use for a DI cannot be beat. The 7 iron shaft length, the super hot face and a sole camber that's ultra forgiving. I find the face just too springy for chipping, but it would be my first choice for any under the trees shot. Surprisingly long, but still shorter then a standard DI. It's the almost hybrid like versatility that makes it a winner.

At the other end of the spectrum I've been carrying my Ping Rapture DI 2. Not forgiving and I need to be swinging really well, but still, really long. The one thing that's similar to my Black One is it's exceptional turf interaction. None of the other chunky monkey DIs I've had (Crossovers, Srixons, GAPR) were anywhere close.

Last edited:
i've only had one, the srixon u65 3i...it was a rocket launcher. but it didn't gap well in my bag :(...i have 2i and 3i HL4 ironwoods that sit but they are fun to swing.

Man, I’ve played and reviewed a few over the past year.

Currently it’s the Callaway X Forged UT, it’s sort of blown me away for profile, feel, and sheer playability.

Longest I’ve hit is still the Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti, it’s just not fair. But, they’re a little on the firm side and a more bulbous profile compared to some.

Most under the radar? KING Forged Tec UT’s are rocket launchers, but the Srixon ZXU is so under appreciated right now it’s absurd. It’s going to give my new Callaway all it wants in a toe to toe.

I like my King One utility. The adjustability is what sold me on it. I can loft up and replace my 4H, or turn it down and hit some rockets off the tee. It's a really versatile club.
I second this. King has the fregiveness of the Ping 410 crossover, nice forged feel and sneaky long. Great value.

I really like my TaylorMade GAPR 3 iron. Very confident off the tee, I know where it's going 99% of the time, and the ball flight is exactly what I want - penetrating - especially in windy conditions it really becomes my go to club.

Exotics CBX iron wood. Rocket launcher that is not so chunky that it’s hard to look at. Liked it so much I bought a full set.

I had a mizuno mp5H 1 iron that was awesome. Mainly because it was fun. Total one trick pony though. At 16 degrees i would just swing it pretty much as hard as I could and The ball would scream down the fairway barely above head height. That was the only shot I had with it though.

the most useful and was maybe my fav club for a long time was a cobra king utility 3 iron. That club was so automatic I don’t think I ever miss hit it. It was a smidge shorter that what I wanted gap wise so swapped it for a Taylor made gapr.

that was a mistake I am Not as big of a fan of the gapr.. so it will probably not be staying much longer.. it the distance I want but is not as easy to hit.

Callaway X-forged UT 21 degree.

Its so easy to hit and launches the ball.

I've gone from the mizuno hmb to a u500 3 iron. It's pretty heavy with a modus 120 in it but it is a perfect summer club for me on a long par 5 or a long par 3 into the wind.

2020 Forged Tec Utility - been quite a beast and safe tee shot this past year

I've had a few over the past few years and tried every one that came, comes out. Nothing has come close to my gamer, the P-790 UDi 2.

I've been told I'm more accurate with it than I am my 6I. That's quite over rated, but you usually don't remember 6I shots. They are supposed to be close to what you expected.

I think it comes to the lower pressure of making the shot. With a 2UT it's a little different. This one however usually...usually does what I'm expecting it too, from a much farther distance. Speaking mainly from a long fairway approach, but it's deadly off the tee too. I expect to be on or just off the green when this club is pulled. To my eyes it looks more like an actual iron than a UT. Most have junk in the trunk and a wider sole.

I'm eyeing the new Srixon UT this year and have almost placed an order a couple times. Really want to see it first though.

Back