Tendonitis - Golfers Elbow

Season's Over - Elbow Pain

Season's Over - Elbow Pain

So, I've played 30 rounds of golf this year. By far the most I've ever played. Starting back at the end of August I noticed my elbow hurt a little after a round. But usually within an hour or 2 it was fine. Then, I played in late september and it took about a day for the pain to go away. Finally, a few weeks ago I played 4 rounds of golf in a week - 3 of them 3 days in a row. After the end of the last round that week, I couldn't even hold a club with my left hand. It has gotten better and worse since then, but I haven't even lifted a club.

Onto my question - Has anyone here ever had this happen? From what little research I can find, it sounds like "Tennis(golfer)'s Elbow". I've been looking at braces and stuff for it, but I can't afford to go to the doctor until after the first of the year - insurance. Any insight on what others may have done to help alleviate any problems would be greatly appreciated. Until then, I guess I shall have to live vicariously through those are still able to play.

Sorry to hear that, Ryan. I'm sure you'll hear others that have had similar problems at one time or another, but I haven't. I think the best thing you could do would be to get to a doctor, but it sounds like that may be an issue right now.

Thansk Hawk. Yeah, unfortunately - I chose the wrong insurance plan through work for the year. With my Diabetes diagnosis earlier in the year, I burned through my alottment provided by insurance by march - so everything is now out of pocket until Jan 1. And test strips are not cheap. Really I'm just trying to find some info from someone who may have gone through ti as I don't personally know anyone who has - so I'm all in the dark on this one. But - at least I can still ride a bike so I can still get some exercise :clap:

I have suffered from elbow and arm pain in the past and even more so in my old tennis days. Time off is really the best way to assist something like this and another thing that many have gone to is switching to graphite shafts.

Thanks JB. Yeah - I'm taking off the rest of the year and probably until april or so of next year. The problem is that we get some REALLY GOOD indian summer weekends here in december and january and I've been known to take advantage of those and get a couple of rounds in, so, it's gonna be like going through withdrawal when I get a nice weekend and could go play.

Yeah; JB is right. Time is necessary. Also, I don't know if you do, but stay away from hitting off of mats at the range too. Those tend to aggrivate the injury more than hitting off grass.

Ryan, I'm sorry to read that you are suffering from the same elbow pain as I have been since Labor day weekend. After a consult with my doctor the plan is the simple RICE method for recovery from tennis (golf) elbow. Rest it as much as possible with gentle stretching daily. Ice it after any physical stress or if you get out during one of the nice indian summer days. Compression with a wrap combined with ice has worked very well for me. And of course the last part is elevating the swollen or sore part to reduce swelling. This will not cure itself overnight and may take months. I have some good days and some mildly painful days....mostly because I've only cut back, not completely stopped swinging a club. Will most likely take a month off in the dead of winter for that. Either way, I hope your pain eases soon! I will also be considering going back to graphite shafts in my irons very soon.

Well, at least I'm not the only one going throuhg it currently. Sorry to hear about it Johnny. I decided that I had to just take the time off altogether, as even gripping the club hurts me. Unfortunately - my job involves lifting somewhat heavy items from time to time, so I don't get to keep away from movement altogether. I will have to remember the ice and elevation at night when I get home, so long as my kids don't do something, which they will.

Ryan - sorry to hear about your injury. I had that once, several years ago. Other than some IBU, RICE and an air-cast there's not much you can do about it. Good thing is, your season is over. Try not to stress it over the winter ..... took me MONTHS to get passed mine.

Good Luck this winter !

I've had/have it. Really bad last year, only a twinge now. Look up some stretches online. There's a ton of tennis/golfer's elbow info online.

Kevin

Definitely sounds like 'golfers elbow' to me. I see it alot with my work. The advice you have been already given here is generally good. You can also use an elbow brace or get one of those special 'tennis elbow' braces that put pressure directly on the muscle and just flip it around to the muscles that hurt. The only difference between tennis elbow and golfers elbow is the muscle group it affects.
I will add though that someone mentioned ibuprofen. You mentioned that your diabetic so I would avoid taking any anti-inflamatories without going and seeing your doctor or pharmacist to make sure that it won't interact with any medication you might be on (they do interfere with lots of medications)

golf elbow

golf elbow

Anyone have any advice or ideas for golf elbow? I hit a few to many golf balls at the range the last few days and now I can not hold a club without pain. I can even make a swing.:sad: Thanks for any advice.

I had it last year on the inside of my right elbow, but it was more soreness and I could play thru it. Ice, anti-inflams and rest worked for me. I also stopped hitting off mats at the range and no pain lately. Hope this helps.

Don't play for a while.

I've never had golf elbow, but I have had Dart elbow. Just took a couple of weeks off.

Take a couple/few weeks off +ice/nsaids.

There are stretches for the tendons. Google is your friend.

Kevin

Thanks for the advice. I have tried the ice and icy/hot and it has helped some. Plan to take a week off and see how it feels.

I have this on and off and this type of brace helps alot with the pain
Elbow_Brace_17aaa5a.jpg

I did some research on this and plan on picking one up tomorrow. Thanks.

Like all braces don't plan on wearing it too long. It can help create weakness that perpetuates the problem. Find a place without mats or with deep brush mats.

My chiropractor says the problem with mats is the bounce the club makes at the bottom of the swing that causes the problem. He also said ice only - no heat. Ice stimulates circulation to help with healing. Heat reduces circulation.

Tendonitis

Tendonitis

Any way around graphite? I have tried band-it and steel inserts to no avail. I sent my clubs back to Mizuno and now have PX graphite, but hate the feel but have no more pain. I just hate the feel. I have tried multiple graphite shafts in friends' clubs, so it is not just PX. Any way around this? I am (and have been for 20 years) an avid weightlifter, so I already work my forearms frequently. Any alternatives?

I wasn't sure where to post this...please relocate as you see fit.

Back