The 60 and over Thread

I don't worry about distance per say, but need about 190 -200 out of driver and 160-170 out of my second shot to score.
For me that would be driver and some kind of fairway wood. If I'm hitting fairway woods into par 4's that tells me I need to move up. Even the professionals struggle to hit greens with fairway woods, so what chance would I have?

For me that would be driver and some kind of fairway wood. If I'm hitting fairway woods into par 4's that tells me I need to move up. Even the professionals struggle to hit greens with fairway woods, so what chance would I have?
I moved up years ago. I figured who the hell am I trying to impress. Moving up made the game more fun.

5300 - 6000 yards. 215 driver distance * 27 = 5805 yards
Thanks.
I asked because your numbers are close to mine, I'm maybe 5yrds longerr each club, 10 or so with the driver.

I have a 7 wood. I hit it longer than I do the 5h. The loft on the 7 is 21 and the 5h is 24.
9 wood might be the closer distance to the 5h

I started playing an all hybrid set when I started losing a lot of distance (about to turn 70). I am playing Tour edge Hot launch hybrids. I don't carry fairway woods, but these work out fine for me and keep my yardages consistent.

That could be, but I've seen 9-woods and 5 hybrids with different lofts. For example, I saw an 11-wood the other day that had the same loft as most 9-woods.
Yeah, I noticed OEM's are all over the place with lofts on the high lofted fairways and hybrids.
My G410 5h is 26*, Titleist TSR2 5h is 24*.

That could be, but I've seen 9-woods and 5 hybrids with different lofts. For example, I saw an 11-wood the other day that had the same loft as most 9-woods.
That’s a good point. I think you need to be aware of the lofts on the clubs.

My biggest problem getting a 7 or 9 wood is finding one that I don't have to reshaft.
Rare to find one these days used that doesn't have super light weight shaft in it.
I need at least a 65 or 70g in regular flex or maybe SR.
It seems that the OTR models are marketed for ladies.

My biggest problem getting a 7 or 9 wood is finding one that I don't have to reshaft.
Rare to find one these days used that doesn't have super light weight shaft in it.
I have one of these and use it quite a bit. It's a great club.

6H, 9W-7W gaps well for me. Today at the sim testing, 7I- 6H was 14 yds. 6H- 9W is 12 yds. 9W to 7W is 16 yds. First time I had the 6H at the sim but I'll be dialing in the lofts after I get more data but at first glance it appears I need to strengthen the 9 a little. I gap by carry only. I am a high ball hitter, high spin guy so roll out is minimal as it is, but all I care about on the course is how far will it carry to get over hazards and bunkers......
I was toying with the idea of getting a 5H but I just love the 9 wood too much to say adios and send it to the cottage.

I'm guessing that the assumption being only those with slow swing speeds use those clubs.

Mike, the formula I saw was driver distance time 26.
Or 5 iron distance times 36. I think driver distance is a little better since no one really knows what a 5 iron/hybrid is anymore. Miles of Golf says driver distance times 28. I know I could play up to 6000 yards no problem.

If your driver goes 190-200 I'm guessing that 160-170 shot is a 7W or 3H? I'd be interested in the GIRs you're able to achieve doing that.

I hit similar distances and for me the GIRs would be infrequent with those clubs from those distances.
yes 3 hybrid is about 170 and 7 wood about 160.

Being able to reliably launch a 3H and at the same time be able to post in this thread is an accomplishment in itself IMHO. :)

Being able to reliably launch a 3H and at the same time be able to post in this thread is an accomplishment in itself IMHO. :)
I have a 19* 3H and a 21* HyWay. I hit both clubs about the same distance. The main difference is the trajectory and I tend to switch from one club to the other depending on the course I’m playing. We have a 165 yard uphill par 3 that plays closer to 175-180. The 21* HyWay can carry to the front the the green while he 3H just flies into bank in front of the green and ends up short. Plus, there is a left front trap and only a narrow chute to the green. Gotta be able to carry the ball to the front of the green. Oh yeah, a fairway only works with the headwind; otherwise, the ball ends up over the back of the green, which is dead.

Dang. 40 dozen? Thats a lot of wayward balls...........
That's why Titleist is the #1 ball in golf! Guys who can't play very well buy them, lose them, and have to go back and buy more! Seriously, I do like the feel of the Pro V-1, but I decided long ago that I don't have a 50 buck a dozen game anymore. Give me the good old Precept Laddie double dozen pack. 24 balls for a little over 20 bucks!

Someone mentioned Vice golf balls a few pages back. A buddy's friend plays them, but he can honestly hit a driver 300+. I found one in heavy rough on one of our last rounds of the year and decided to hit it on the next tee. It felt like I hit a rock and it went nowhere! This is no doubt due to my blistering 85mph driver clubhead speed.

Getting closer to moving up to the red tees. Have rounds with none or maybe 1-2 greens and usually 5W or hybrids into the greens if I can even get there. A lot of par fours are three shot holes for me. The course tomorrow can maybe reach four of the par fours with a 7i with a good drive. Thank goodness I usually keep the ball in play.

In that distance range using the longer clubs in my bag I'm seeing some unfavorable trajectories and long rollouts on the launch monitor data. For 5W, 7W, and 4I the SC300 shows apexes of 50 to 80 ft and rollouts of 25 to 40 yards. Good luck staying on the green with those low screamers 😖

I'm told hybrids are designed to launch higher and be easier to hit than long irons and the higher lofted fairway woods. They're also easier to hook off the property too in my experience lol.

Anyway, I will test 3 and 4 hybrids as a comparison and see what the numbers say.

Getting closer to moving up to the red tees. Have rounds with none or maybe 1-2 greens and usually 5W or hybrids into the greens if I can even get there. A lot of par fours are three shot holes for me. The course tomorrow can maybe reach four of the par fours with a 7i with a good drive. Thank goodness I usually keep the ball in play.
I like tracking approach distances on Par 4s after solid, in play drives. If many of them require more than a 6 iron I'm on the wrong tees.

Reactions: Ooo
Yeah, I noticed OEM's are all over the place with lofts on the high lofted fairways and hybrids.
My G410 5h is 26*, Titleist TSR2 5h is 24*.
Yeah loft is a problem with most big brand club makers have different lofts, it's to make it extremely difficult to mix different brand irons in a Set makeup.
I use a 20deg Mizuno 4 Hybrid and a Mizuno 29deg 7 Hybrid, I'm thinking of bending the 7hybrid to 26-27deg because it will be better gaping for my half set...

That's why Titleist is the #1 ball in golf! Guys who can't play very well buy them, lose them, and have to go back and buy more! Seriously, I do like the feel of the Pro V-1, but I decided long ago that I don't have a 50 buck a dozen game anymore. Give me the good old Precept Laddie double dozen pack. 24 balls for a little over 20 bucks!

Someone mentioned Vice golf balls a few pages back. A buddy's friend plays them, but he can honestly hit a driver 300+. I found one in heavy rough on one of our last rounds of the year and decided to hit it on the next tee. It felt like I hit a rock and it went nowhere! This is no doubt due to my blistering 85mph driver clubhead speed.
Vice makes a number of balls. I have played the Pro ( not pro +) . It's a really good value.

In that distance range using the longer clubs in my bag I'm seeing some unfavorable trajectories and long rollouts on the launch monitor data. For 5W, 7W, and 4I the SC300 shows apexes of 50 to 80 ft and rollouts of 25 to 40 yards. Good luck staying on the green with those low screamers 😖

I'm told hybrids are designed to launch higher and be easier to hit than long irons and the higher lofted fairway woods. They're also easier to hook off the property too in my experience lol.

Anyway, I will test 3 and 4 hybrids as a comparison and see what the numbers say.
That's my problem right now, low screamers or worm burners. The courses I play have some long holes, so I need the hybrids and 7 wood to get close to use my wedges. To get on the greens and putt, I'm not after distance. I just don't want snowman scores, boogies are great scores for me.

That's a good idea. In my case, I learned to leave my ego at home before I went to the golf course. I'm out there to have fun. The game's hard enough as it is, why make it even harder? Especially at our ages.

Back