The 60 and over Thread

With all the posts about new releases I struggle to understand a lot of it. Newest driver I have hit is my G410+ and am satisfied with it. It’s obvious that a lot of players don’t understand fixed income, yet. In order to play as much as I like there has to be choices made, cheaper courses and cheaper equipment, I have good equipment but not the latest and greatest.

With all the posts about new releases I struggle to understand a lot of it. Newest driver I have hit is my G410+ and am satisfied with it. It’s obvious that a lot of players don’t understand fixed income, yet. In order to play as much as I like there has to be choices made, cheaper courses and cheaper equipment, I have good equipment but not the latest and greatest.
I can totally relate to the fixed income part of your post. But I understand that some can buy a new $800 driver every year without going over budget. I’m certainly not one of those folks but there are some who think the few hundred dollars I do spend is unnecessary.

I feel like golf is my one hobby I spend money on. I don’t need new equipment (my irons were released in 2015), but I enjoy tinkering with new stuff as long as I have the money. Managing my golf budget is the biggest reason I don’t buy a lot of OEM equipment. But I don’t fault others for doing so. Some just have a bigger budget than I do. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

The latest isn't always the greatest. I won't change a piece of equipment unless there is a real WOW! factor. I know some folks that still play Ping Eye 2 irons that they purchased in 1986, and the only reason new irons are longer is that the lofts are stronger. An 83 year old friend of mine plays his father's putter, which his father bought in 1946. A while back my driver broke so in the interim I used my son's driver, which is 18 years old. I was a bit surprised at how it performed. Sure, I lost some distance, but not nearly as much as I thought I would.

In any case, I don't think you're missing out on anything substantial. For me, the swing is the thing. You can have the latest, most forgiving equipment, but if you don't put a good swing on it, the results will still be poor.

If you are on a budget you should look for senior deals offered to residents. The private club down the street has a deal with the town I live in.
The next town over also offers discounts to people who live in my town!

My investments have done a lot better than I planned so I can easily afford new golf clubs.
But, my expenses are low because I know to to learn to fix just about everything in my home!
If you have the know how and tools an expensive $$$ repair bill may only cost $20 for parts on Amazon.
Sort of like golf in a way. Some of us can do stuff that others can't, no matter how hard they try.

Oh, I need a special tool for that? I can make that out of some cheap junk with a file in a couple minutes!

Last edited:
Golf clubs are like a new car, once you drive it off the lot it losses so much of it's value.
Buying past years equipment at the reduced price is they way to go especially at our ages/incomes.

I agree with the comments about fixed income, I'm in that boat also. I have found Diamond tour golf and places that sell components. New equipment doesn't cost that much if you don't buy OEM and can put components together.

I agree with the comments about fixed income, I'm in that boat also. I have found Diamond tour golf and places that sell components. New equipment doesn't cost that much if you don't buy OEM and can put components together.

Agree. Even with a good retirement pension and soc sec us older guys just cant go out and spend like crazed fools. What we got $$ wise is what we got.

Just curious, but did you consider the TSR1? My swing speed is about the same, but I am considering the TSR1.
My ball striking isn't bad, but I was more consistent with the TSR2. Even more consistent with the G430. Despite how much I preferred the looks and sound of the TSR, the numbers forced me into the G430.

Just curious, but did you consider the TSR1? My swing speed is about the same, but I am considering the TSR1.
I just ordered a Stealth2 16.5* like the one you own. How is the gapping with your 18* 5W?
The reason I’m asking is I have an 18* Paradym, and thought that would go about the same distance?

So the Stealth2 3HL I ordered from Global Golf was delivered 30 minutes ago.
$249 Certified Preowned Mint Condition, two coupon codes applied, one for 25% off Preowned clubs the other 20% off Preowned FWs brought the price down to $150.
The club is brand new all stickers on and the head is sealed in plastic. I have no idea why they sold a $299 club for $152, but I’m glad they did!

I'm trying to get a bigger shoulder and hip tun. I tend to just fold my hands/arms in the backswing with no real turn. Part of the issue is a lack of flexibility and I am sure a lack of good technique. Any suggestions?
If I were you, I’d go get a quick lesson (or maybe talk to someone who works in a local golf store or course and knows what they’re doing). We’re all different and most of us different flaws in our swing that we’ve picked up along the way. Not even a trained eye will fix yours without seeing you swing.
I posted here last week that took my first lesson in a long time last Wednesday. It turned out that what I thought was a very good full turn back was the first thing she wanted me to change. We spent the entire 30 minutes working on my takeaway.
The results were very encouraging, and the improvement in my strike was almost immediate. The moral of the story? By going down the YouTube rabbit hole looking to improve what was a decent swing I lost my way. I’m hoping this set of 5 lessons I signed up for gets me back on the right path. So far, so good!

Last edited:
I just ordered a Stealth2 16.5* like the one you own. How is the gapping with your 18* 5W?
The reason I’m asking is I have an 18* Paradym, and thought that would go about the same distance?
I love my TM 5 wood. I average about 190 yards with it. Just a little longer than my TM 4H. I'm not sure about my gapping, I just know when I swing my Driver, 3W, or 5W, I'm swinging for distance. Paradym is also a great product, I'm guessing they would be about the same distance for me, although I have yet to swing one.

After a session like this I like to make a plot like the attached. I can quickly see major gaps and clubs that are basically the same in carry distance.
After looking at this the obvious question is do you have clubs to fill the gap between 6I/5H and FW? That distance range is a constant struggle for me, unless I'm just laying up as far as possible on long open Par 4s or unreachable Par 5s.
30⁰ 7I 172 carry
27⁰ H 188 carry
24⁰ FW 200 carry

Is about as close as I can get to good gaps And I can turn the 7I over a bit for a little extra carry.

30⁰ 7I 172 carry
27⁰ H 188 carry
24⁰ FW 200 carry

Is about as close as I can get to good gaps And I can turn the 7I over a bit for a little extra carry.
Your carry #’s are insane for a guy over 60yo. 👏🏻

Craigslist and EBay always have great equipment deals.Its amazing how much the price goes down for a good set of clubs a few years old

Craigslist and EBay always have great equipment deals.Its amazing how much the price goes down for a good set of clubs a few years old
2ndSwing.com has every imaginable used club. They offer customization and you can return your old ones for credit or cash.

Your carry #’s are insane for a guy over 60yo. 👏🏻
Not many 64 yr olds who are happy and willing to take the 16# sledge from the lads and show them some technique.....it isnt all brute force and ignorance.
Kind of like golf. LOL.
Today I was following a crew around that was patching potholes, after an hour I was going batchit crazy, made one of them drive my backup (safety) truck so I could get out. No one ever showed those kids how a shovel works.
I threw 3 tons of patch in an hour and a half, one scoop at a time.
I might be old and fat, but I still have some ass.

Yeah, I don't think I will buy clubs new ever again unless I hit the lottery.:ROFLMAO:

Not many 64 yr olds who are happy and willing to take the 16# sledge from the lads and show them some technique.....it isnt all brute force and ignorance.
Kind of like golf. LOL.
Today I was following a crew around that was patching potholes, after an hour I was going batchit crazy, made one of them drive my backup (safety) truck so I could get out. No one ever showed those kids how a shovel works.
I threw 3 tons of patch in an hour and a half, one scoop at a time.
I might be old and fat, but I still have some ass.
Firewood was the primary heat source when we bought our house in '04. For the next 10 years or so, I'd go out the Manistee National Forest every weekend to cut up trees that were downed or standing dead, cut the logs to length, split them with a maul and stack them. About 15-18 cords per year. I really enjoyed the process and the work. Just as you mentioned, there is a bit of a technique to splitting wood.

Ironically, it was golf that pushed me to start buying a few cords per year so I'd have more time to go out and play. Then, the wife convinced me to buy an electric log splitter. By around 2016, I was doing half the work I used to. Eventually, we got a propane heater... then a second. I gave my old Chevy Silverado away a few years ago and other than the occasional downed tree on my property, that was the end of firewood. Since slowing down, I get injured much easier.

The moral of the story is the right amount of hard work can be beneficial.

I have never been physically strong or terribly athletic. But I felt fortunate to have the ability to run (even sprint), climb trees, and play the same sports in my 60's that I did as a kid. With this latest back injury... I don't know. I'm not used to feeling like I have to take it easy. I have to find a solution... maybe a professional strength trainer and investment with a home gym or gym membership.

There's an old saying, "He who cuts his own wood is twice warmed." Good technique is to be admired. I knew a guy who worked for a tree trimming company and who sold firewood in his spare time. I was at his place when he was out splitting some up. He'd put a round up on the stump and start in with the maul. He never swung hard, just let the weight of the maul do the work. He worked his way around that round, splitting perfectly even sized pieces of wood from it, and that round never moved! Well, not until he split the last piece and both fell off the stump.

Firewood was the primary heat source when we bought our house in '04. For the next 10 years or so, I'd go out the Manistee National Forest every weekend to cut up trees that were downed or standing dead, cut the logs to length, split them with a maul and stack them. About 15-18 cords per year. I really enjoyed the process and the work. Just as you mentioned, there is a bit of a technique to splitting wood.

Ironically, it was golf that pushed me to start buying a few cords per year so I'd have more time to go out and play. Then, the wife convinced me to buy an electric log splitter. By around 2016, I was doing half the work I used to. Eventually, we got a propane heater... then a second. I gave my old Chevy Silverado away a few years ago and other than the occasional downed tree on my property, that was the end of firewood. Since slowing down, I get injured much easier.

The moral of the story is the right amount of hard work can be beneficial.

I have never been physically strong or terribly athletic. But I felt fortunate to have the ability to run (even sprint), climb trees, and play the same sports in my 60's that I did as a kid. With this latest back injury... I don't know. I'm not used to feeling like I have to take it easy. I have to find a solution... maybe a professional strength trainer and investment with a home gym or gym membership.
Are you on Medicare yet? If so you can receive a free gym membership. I used United Healthcare to get mine, and had a choice of places to go. I chose our local YMCA.

Are you on Medicare yet? If so you can receive a free gym membership. I used United Healthcare to get mine, and had a choice of places to go. I chose our local YMCA.
Yes, same here. I go to LA Fitness.

No, not yet. But that’s good to know. Hope it’s still available in a few years.

2ndSwing.com has every imaginable used club. They offer customization and you can return your old ones for credit or cash.
Going to check that out for sure.Im not to giving money straight to these big club manufacturers for a shiny new set of clubs.But ones a few years old I will.

Heck, I got my swing from goodwill

No, not yet. But that’s good to know. Hope it’s still available in a few years.
It will be. Insurance carriers think it’s money well spent to prevent larger expenses. The thinking is people who exercise regular basis will be healthier and need less medical care than those who don’t.

Last edited:
Back