The 60 and over Thread

I have steel in the bottom 3 wedges. Might look at changing next time around.
I bought a used Smart Sole 4 Gw and it has graphite---I like it. Not sure about for sand shots.

I have the Catalyst 80 in my 54* and DG Spinner steel in my 58*

I'm not a big video or YT guy as the first time I swung a club there was no internet, just magazines, couldn't afford lessons back in those days.

I always struggled with OTT even with lessons after retirement but this video that I saw recently although it's an old video has transformed my perception of a proper golf swing.

It was the biggest aha moment I ever had involving the golf swing. I don't know why this short single video resonated with me so much. It was the missing piece and it wasn't even so much about the release he talks about but the backswing and downswing sequence. The release just came naturally after following this technique.
I wanted to quit this game so many times but I have been rejuvenated with a new positive attitude and outlook on my future golf. I'm sure I'll have my days but I finally feel I have something tangible to work with.

You're never too old to learn.

Interesting video.

One point that he made that I've never seen any other YouTube instructor make, is that of having the right knee "beat" the clubhead to the ball.

That's a new one to me!

Whenever I try to reach back, lengthen my back swing, get a bigger shoulder turn, is when I hit my poorest drives. With a shorter back swing I improve the quality of my strike, and thus have my best drives, provided I don't "rush" the swing because the back swing is short.

Padraig Harrington would agree with you:

The tweaking of my bag never seems to end. 🤪
I’ve been a little disappointed with Mt G425 26* 5 hybrid… it seems to play more like a slightly strong 6H. I brought it into the PGASS this morning and I was averaging 148 carry, 154 total. I tried a used Taylormade Stealth 25* and that was 157/161 which gaps much better with my DCB 6 iron.
The Stealth was pretty beat up though, and they still wanted $139.98 for it, which didn’t include the new grip I’d need for it, so I just shrugged and left.
Ebay to the rescue! (pun intended)
I found one brand new with the same make believe Ventus Red A flex shaft for $99 and free shipping. It’s on the way!

Last edited:
I had a crap front 9 today. Cold, bad back, I suck. Bla bla bla. Caught fire on the back side. Coming up to 18 all I needed was a par to finish even on the back. Little 362 yard, 35' downhill par 4. Water on the right 254 out to all the way past the green. Fairway tilts down and towards the water. I have been in there more than once being stupid. With a bit of a following wind I didnt even dare hit the 4H, I just don't know it that well yet. Hit the Paradym 6H. No, I murdered the 6H. Down wind, down the hill, into the drink. Dropped, lazed it 91 yards to the front right pin across the corner of the pond. Hit a full 58* lob wedge deep behind the pin which was only 6 yards from the waters edge. Bridgestone Tour B RXS hit the most receptive green we had seen all day (read finally thawed out lol) spun back and.......... into the drink. Change to a 54* for spin control and drop again. On and two putts for a freaking triple.........

It got really windy on the back nine this morning. Despite being a good 10° warmer than yesterday, it felt every bit as cold. Golf is such a frustrating game at times, as what was good one day, say driving, or iron play, or short game, sucks the next.

I had a crap front 9 today. Cold, bad back, I suck. Bla bla bla. Caught fire on the back side. Coming up to 18 all I needed was a par to finish even on the back. Little 362 yard, 35' downhill par 4. Water on the right 254 out to all the way past the green. Fairway tilts down and towards the water. I have been in there more than once being stupid. With a bit of a following wind I didnt even dare hit the 4H, I just don't know it that well yet. Hit the Paradym 6H. No, I murdered the 6H. Down wind, down the hill, into the drink. Dropped, lazed it 91 yards to the front right pin across the corner of the pond. Hit a full 58* lob wedge deep behind the pin which was only 6 yards from the waters edge. Bridgestone Tour B RXS hit the most receptive green we had seen all day (read finally thawed out lol) spun back and.......... into the drink. Change to a 54* for spin control and drop again. On and two putts for a freaking triple.........
Sometimes it’s not easy to get the horse back into the barn, ya know?
You still played great though. 👍
Your worst hole came because you hit two balls “too well”.

I just saw that same seller who I bought the Stealth 5H from for $99 also has the Stealth 3HL and 7W with the same Ventus Red shaft for $139 each. @SC Putter I think you know how this movie is going to end. 😜

Sometimes it’s not easy to get the horse back into the barn, ya know?
You still played great though. 👍
Your worst hole came because you hit two balls “too well”.
Oh no, not the worst. My start was absolutely horrendous. 31⁰ at tee time. My first 4 holes were triple, double, triple, bogie. Then I took closest to on the next one, a par 3. In fact I won all 4 par 3's closest to. Even though I couldn't swing a driver at all till #6....

Last edited:
Interesting video.

One point that he made that I've never seen any other YouTube instructor make, is that of having the right knee "beat" the clubhead to the ball.

That's a new one to me!
If I heard "the hips start the swing" one more time I was going to snap my 5 iron over my head.

Once I get to this position everything else just becomes instinctual. I don't need to over-focus on "hips start the swing" or anything else. Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 5.27.28 PM.pngThe hips know dam well that I'm pulling my arms down and they need to get the F'K out of the way. When I come OTT the hips get really stupid and don't know what to do.

Look at Sergio explaining the same thing.

Okay, I'm done with my swing revelation and let's get back to old folks' stuff.

Interesting results the last couple days. Something has changed. Yesterday I was hitting the ball a lot higher than before. I hit driver 7 iron on the 395 yard 2nd. Granted the hole plays downhill, maybe 10- 15 yards shorter than the yardage, but it does usually play into the wind. On 6 I was 25 yards short of the front of he green on a 460 yard hole, on 7 I hit driver wedge on a 345 par 4 that plays uphill. On 11 421 uphill par 4 I hit it on top of the hill past the 200 yards marker. Then there are the irons. The flight on my irons has changed from a mid low flight to a mid high flight and it’s going much higher than ever. I never hit my wedge as high as I’m hitting a 7 or 8 iron now and my carry distances have exploded. It’s crazy. 2 days ago I had a great putting round, the last 2 rounds have sucked. It’s off just a little. It’s killed my scores the last 2 rounds.

So now my distances are a bit off. My average driving distance is up 5 - 10 yards. I turned the loft down on my driver .75 degrees from yesterday since I felt I was hitting it too high and today I smoked it. I’d like to see the results on a LM, but it’s like it came out of nowhere. Hmmm.

With a TP5, if you are hitting down on the ball cleanly with the irons, it will fly higher because you are spinning it harder. Good ball striking = good results.

With a TP5, if you are hitting down on the ball cleanly with the irons, it will fly higher because you are spinning it harder. Good ball striking = good results.
Well yeah, except this is a recent development. I’ve been playing the TP5 for a while and this is something in the last 2-3 rounds. I’m thinking my release has changed. I’ll need to put on the HackMotion and see if something has changed. As far as divots, they are mostly thin and not very deep. I’m not completely sweeping it. The other thing I’d like to see is if I’ve magically increased my swing speed.

Well yeah, except this is a recent development. I’ve been playing the TP5 for a while and this is something in the last 2-3 rounds. I’m thinking my release has changed. I’ll need to put on the HackMotion and see if something has changed. As far as divots, they are mostly thin and not very deep. I’m not completely sweeping it. The other thing I’d like to see is if I’ve magically increased my swing speed.
You’ve put in a ton of time this winter, Mike. It sounds like all that work is paying off.

My son's friend, a neighbor kid (21) came by yesterday and gave me a like new R flex HZDRUS Smoke Red RDX shaft that was in a driver he just picked up used. I am going to pull the Callaway hosel adapter and put a Titleist adapter on it and give it a shot in my old TSI2. Not that there is anything wrong with the Tensi AV Blue in there now, but experimenting is fun.
He says its a partial payment on all the clubs and balls I have given him over the years.
Kid is not big, like 5' 6 or 7, but athletic as hell, he can really send it.

Kid is not big, like 5' 6 or 7, but athletic as hell, he can really send it.
Years ago, one of the guys I regularly played with on weekends would bring his son, who was on his HS golf team. The kid was about that same size, no taller than 5'7", could not have weighed more than 125 pounds. He would set up with his practice swing being comfortable inside the ball, then, without moving his feet, somewhat "reach" to get the club head behind the ball. He hit moon shots that still went longer than his dad's tee shots, and his dad was no slouch at "sending it". Amazing what youth and flexibility can do for you!

Yesterday it was cold out. Mizuno rain gloves were awesome, despite it not raining. UA rain gloves somehow not so great if they arent wet.

He says its a partial payment on all the clubs and balls I have given him over the years.
Sounds like the young man was raised right. People are quick to knock younger generations, but given the right guidance and influence - not only from their own parents but other adults in their lives - and most will grow up thinking of others.

Sounds like the young man was raised right. People are quick to knock younger generations, but given the right guidance and influence - not only from their own parents but other adults in their lives - and most will grow up thinking of others.
Oh his parents taught their kids how to act, by being the perfect role models in how to NOT act. Very tightly knit neighborhood, people live here for decades. His parents are pariahs. His Mom is always looking for a way to get over on people and businesses. I don't get it because its not like money should be an issue...... But her husband lets her keep his nads tucked away in her pocketbook.

Oh his parents taught their kids how to act, by being the perfect role models in how to NOT act. Very tightly knit neighborhood, people live here for decades. His parents are pariahs. His Mom is always looking for a way to get over on people and businesses. I don't get it because its not like money should be an issue...... But her husband lets her keep his nads tucked away in her pocketbook.
So you're saying the kid is rebelling against his mother by being unselfish? :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes it comes down to genetics and personality, I guess. That, or others have had a positive impact on him. My point was that at 21, it was decent of him to want to give something back to you.

If I heard "the hips start the swing" one more time I was going to snap my 5 iron over my head.

Once I get to this position everything else just becomes instinctual. I don't need to over-focus on "hips start the swing" or anything else. View attachment 9252578The hips know dam well that I'm pulling my arms down and they need to get the F'K out of the way. When I come OTT the hips get really stupid and don't know what to do.

Look at Sergio explaining the same thing.

Okay, I'm done with my swing revelation and let's get back to old folks' stuff.

That's a great tip from Garcia (I had seen it before, but forgot about it).

It goes hand-in-hand with what Mike Malaska teaches.

Years ago, one of the guys I regularly played with on weekends would bring his son, who was on his HS golf team. The kid was about that same size, no taller than 5'7", could not have weighed more than 125 pounds. He would set up with his practice swing being comfortable inside the ball, then, without moving his feet, somewhat "reach" to get the club head behind the ball. He hit moon shots that still went longer than his dad's tee shots, and his dad was no slouch at "sending it".

Amazing what youth and flexibility can do for you!

My buddy and I were in the Pub yesterday following a practice session, and we were discussing the new drivers we want to try when our club's demo day arrives a few weeks from now.

After much discussion, including the high cost of a new driver, my buddy joking said: "These new drivers might get us 5 extra yards, but what I would gladly pay a lot of money for would be to give me the body of a 20-year-old!" (He is 50 and I am 66).

It was a great point! :ROFLMAO:

My buddy and I were in the Pub yesterday following a practice session, and we were discussing the new drivers we want to try when our club's demo day arrives a few weeks from now.

After much discussion, including the high cost of a new driver, my buddy joking said: "These new drivers might get us 5 extra yards, but what I would gladly pay a lot of money for would be to give me the body of a 20-year-old!" (He is 50 and I am 66).

It was a great point! :ROFLMAO:
Agreed! Would be nice to go back to being an 18 yo knowing everything I know now. Of course that would mean balata balls and persimmon woods. Might be interesting.

Back