The best life for a golfer.

jburns197

Reaction score
Handicap
While reading earlier in the New England Golfers post about how a member should take up skiing because of the cold weather, I began thinking; What is the best life for a golfer?
I am thinking work related and golf related life.
I have a buddy that works at a Ski mountain all winter (ski for free) and then at the mountains golf course all Spring summer and fall (golf for free!). I think that his life has to be one of the most enjoyable lives that I can imagine.
Myself - I am a teacher. So that means I can get out and golf almost every day and all summer long. Not too bad either.

I cant imagine being a Tour pro being all that great - so much travel and pressure to perform.

What do you guys think would be the most enjoyable life for someone that loves golf but also needs to collect a check.

(if theres another forum about this, direct me there. search function wasnt working for me)

I would think working in one of the equipment trailers that follow the tour around would be pretty cool. Interact with the pros and travel to all the nice courses. Downside is I'm sure there isn't much time to play

Outside sales in a warm climate. Being around the industry means you won't play any golf. Get a good job that provides you with freedom form the office and you'll play a lot.

Being self-employed can be nice. It is more work, but if I want to take off for a round, I really just have to maybe put in some extra time a couple days before I want to take off.

~Rock

I'm sure the ideal golf life it's different for all of us. For me it's living close to a course you like that plays fast and having the freetime to get to the course 4+ days per week. I've had that the last couple years and it has made my enjoyment of golf increase dramatically. I choose not to play much in the winter because I ski about 40 days. This year between April and October I'm guessing I'll play 12-15 rounds per month at my home course and have another 5 days each month where I'll go practice for about an hour. My average late afternoon round takes about 2:40-3:20, but many evening rounds I can play faster than that as a single or with my daughter.

I'm sure the ideal golf life it's different for all of us. For me it's living close to a course you like that plays fast and having the freetime to get to the course 4+ days per week. I've had that the last couple years and it has made my enjoyment of golf increase dramatically. I choose not to play much in the winter because I ski about 40 days. This year between April and October I'm guessing I'll play 12-15 rounds per month at my home course and have another 5 days each month where I'll go practice for about an hour. My average late afternoon round takes about 2:40-3:20, but many evening rounds I can play faster than that as a single or with my daughter.

yes! I would have to agree that having the time to play is awesome, but also being able to play fast is HUGE. I dont think I would be playing as much if I had to wait to play every day and had my rounds taking over 4 hours.
I play a small course that usually has around 5 groups out on the 9 holes at a time, so pace is rarely an issue. If i walk i can get in 18 after work and before dark every day. If I have a cart (one day a week its the same price as walking) I get 18 holes in very very quickly.

yes! I would have to agree that having the time to play is awesome, but also being able to play fast is HUGE. I dont think I would be playing as much if I had to wait to play every day and had my rounds taking over 4 hours.
I play a small course that usually has around 5 groups out on the 9 holes at a time, so pace is rarely an issue. If i walk i can get in 18 after work and before dark every day. If I have a cart (one day a week its the same price as walking) I get 18 holes in very very quickly.
f

I forgot to mention, part of what I love about my set up is I have my own cart and I can get to the 9th tee in 30 seconds or the clubhouse in a little over a minute. Yesterday the rain stopped around 3:30 so I jumped in my cart and played 15 holes in 80 minutes.

:quiet::quiet::sweat:

Winning the powerball when it's 500+ million and spending the rest of your life retired and playing as much as you want? That probably wouldn't be terrible.

Winning the powerball when it's 500+ million and spending the rest of your life retired and playing as much as you want? That probably wouldn't be terrible.

This is along the lines of what I came to post.

Well the OP did say you had to still be working a job, being rich and doing whatever is obviously the life we all want.

Maybe a golf travel guide writer?

Good topic. I'm fairly fortunate to have a lot of time off in the aviation industry so I can get out a couple of times a week, once to practice and once to play. I'm also fortunate to be able to hit the ranges in Hawaii all winter long. The only thing keeping me from playing more are a 6 and 9 year old. As they get older I see myself playing more. So I guess that would be my best life for a golfer until retirement in 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the OP did say you had to still be working a job, being rich and doing whatever is obviously the life we all want.

Maybe a golf travel guide writer?

Well duh, I'd tell people I work in investments. :D

technically true, and that's a real job. Me being my only client doesn't make it any less important. :wink:

Like the OP, I'm a teacher and I like to think my situation is pretty good. Out of work by 2:30 every day plus free for the summer. Having time to play isn't an issue. Public school salary is a different story.....

What do you guys think would be the most enjoyable life for someone that loves golf but also needs to collect a check.

Retire and send the wife off to work - I guarantee you, there's nothing better

I'm a few years away from military retirement, which means I'll get a decent pension and benefits. My wife is continuing to make very good money freelance writing. I'm hoping once I hang up the uniform I send the kids off to school and then head to the golf course. I'll Mr. Mom it for awhile until I find the right "second career."

I would think that being a business CEO would be best. You could take your CEO friends and your underlings to the course all the time and call it work. That or maybe being president. I mean, Obama and Trump certainly didnt seem to have to cut back on their golf, especially Trump. Who wouldnt want to go to a luxury golf course for the weekend and have American taxpayers foot the bill?

For me--- Win the powerball and retire and move to FL. "Work" part time at the course I want to play so that I get a discount for the rounds that I play. Come on just because I'm a millionaire doesn't mean I don't want to get something cheaper, how else do I stay wealthy?:giggle:

I'm a few years away from military retirement, which means I'll get a decent pension and benefits. My wife is continuing to make very good money freelance writing. I'm hoping once I hang up the uniform I send the kids off to school and then head to the golf course. I'll Mr. Mom it for awhile until I find the right "second career."

Sounds like a perfect plan. I'm retiring in 2 years or less and I don't plan on a second career although my wife wants to work part time as a consultant in her area of expertise. We will be sending our second one off to college in 17 months and that may be the perfect time to move to Florida(summers in N. Minnesota) and enjoy daily doses of golf, boating, and fishing.

I would think that being a business CEO would be best. You could take your CEO friends and your underlings to the course all the time and call it work. That or maybe being president. I mean, Obama and Trump certainly didnt seem to have to cut back on their golf, especially Trump. Who wouldnt want to go to a luxury golf course for the weekend and have American taxpayers foot the bill?
Yeah, right...especially Trump you say..and the other guy wasn't much of a slouch either.....

Right now my golf life is pretty good. I work an earlier shift so I can be on the course by 3:30 during the week and since I'm divorced and the kids are out of the house (one in college, one finished) I can spend as much time playing and practicing as I want. In a typical week during the season I usually play 3-4 times and practice another 2 or 3 depending on how my game is. Winter is sketchy, but it's not like I have the money or a job where I could spend the winter in Arizona or Fla - can't complain too much. :D

I am a sales manager for a company and travel a good bit now around the country. My schedule doesn't always permit golf, but I try and squeeze it in. I was always envious of the local distributor sales reps that worked in the Myrtle Beach area. They always took me to great courses and what was a great time for me was just a regular work day for them. I would always give them a hard time about their low handicaps being a tell-tale sign that they were spending too much time on the golf course.

I guess I will always whine about not having enough time to play. And I would bet if I was already playing 3 times a week I'd still be whining.

But that situation sure beats whining about not having enough work. My work in architecture and construction demands my time. That's just the way it is.

I'm happy with my situation right now, having not played for almost a month. I'm sure there will be spells of more frequent golf than normal.

And whatever situation I'm currently in, I'd still be whining about not having enough time to play .

Outside sales, in Texas, close to a course.

I find myself either playing or practicing pretty regular since moving to a home office. I can get my phone calls made, visit some folks and then home and started on e-mails. If it's not pressing, those can wait until after I'm done.

Matt Ginella's job at GC.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back