The driving distance thread

I average anywhere from 240-260. Once a round I'll "hammer" one about 270 because I have to hit it that far to clear water. 90% of my drives are in the 240-260 range though.

Obviously, this is all based on course distance markers, as I have no GPS or Rangefinder.

And I have no idea how far my farthest drive is, If I had to guess I'd say 670-700 yards.

In all seriousness, I hit about 70% of fairways. And about...uh....10% greens. :(

Okay floppy let's see how you compare to a PGA tour Pro, at 10% GIR you would be in... oh look, last place :D

It's okay, I would be there right beside you.

Okay floppy let's see how you compare to a PGA tour Pro, at 10% GIR you would be in... oh look, last place :D

It's okay, I would be there right beside you.

Yeah. I hit a LOT of fairways it seems, it's just I can never hit a GIR. I always either flat out hit it terrible, or hit it nice and goes just over/short/left/right of the green.

Army Golf! LEFT! RIGHT!

Yeah. I hit a LOT of fairways it seems, it's just I can never hit a GIR. I always either flat out hit it terrible, or hit it nice and goes just over/short/left/right of the green.

Army Golf! LEFT! RIGHT!

I know what you mean, I can't do either though. Im 42% GIR.

My average on drives in the fairway with a driver is in the 275-285 range. Sometimes more, sometimes less, it just depends on conditions. I hit the ball expecting a lot of roll, so in the summertime when the fairways get hard that helps out. The main course I play has GPS on the carts and it will tell you the distance from the tee to the ball. I will also check that with my rangefinder and shoot it back to the tee, the two are usually within a couple of yards. I will hit some in the neighborhood of 310-320 on occasion when I really get a hold of one and get a bunch of roll. Typically when I play I will be anywhere in the 270-290 range, regardless of fairway or rough. This is only with the driver, it is not adjusted for when I might hit 3-wood or 2-iron off the tee. Usually those are 'placement' drives on short holes when I don't need the distance.

I'd say my average drive is 2 fairways right. :FORE!!!!: :laugh: I'd say my real average is probably 220. My longest club is also a 3w.

this is not gps, but from a very well marked country club and a range finder.

1) average drive is kind of a mess, cuz im a teenager so it depends how well i sleep and if im tired and such, but it fluxes from about 265-290

2) i hit it over 300 a couple times a round

3) longest drive was like 412 but it ran on the path about 70 yards. my legit longest drive was about 360 if i remember correctly

I carry around 235-240, and only get a few yards roll. Maybe a custom fitting will help me out? My driving accuracy stinks - 52.36%

I carry around 235-240, and only get a few yards roll. Maybe a custom fitting will help me out? My driving accuracy stinks - 52.36%

That is good. Be proud of it.

I am going to give everyone a secret of how to increase your driving accuracy. Are you read for this?

I never swing any club as hard as I can. Most of the time I swing around 70% of my maximum. When I started playing golf, my husband preached to me about accuracy, so I have also swung around 70%.

I have seen numerous individuals swing as hard as they can especially with the driver. The problem with this is they do not know where the ball is going.

Try this drill, it worked for me. Take a piece of impact tape and place it on the club face. Then swing the driver and hit it 100 yards carry, then move up to 125 yards, 150 yards, 175 yards, 200 yards, etc. Ensure, the ball is hitting the sweet spot. This allows you to work on your impact and rhythm.

My coach and I are working on increasing my swing to around 90%.

One final note, always swing and stay in balance.

This was actually brought up in another thread, albeit briefly. I think you even took part CG! Thanks for putting it into everyones head again.
My wife is much more accurate than I am with her driver. She puts it in the fairway all day long. She will hit 10 to 12 fairways almost every round, and she is not ever swinging out of her shoes. I don't think she has hit them all yet, but she's only just starting her second year. I think it's a guy thing, at least with amateurs and John Daly to try to hit it harder than one should. Whenever I start having driving accuracy troubles to where I am doing worse than just missing the fairway (where it makes my second shots a real chore!), I'll throttle back a little.

Great advice CG.

My average carry distance is about 230-235. That's GPS and rangefinder verified.

I will hit a few drives in the 260-270 range every round.

My longest drive is 314, it was an elevated tee box, down wind, and I hit it perfect. That drive was GPS verified.

I average around 245.
Ill get it up in the 280s a couple times during the round.
My longest drive since I got the Upro was 322.

I switched back to the Bridgestone e6s and noticed that I have lost some distance lately. I normally dont care about this, but its enough to where im hitting hybrids into greens instead of short irons.

I average around 330...with a good tail wind i have hit it 360...oh wait...we are talking bout xbox, right?

I'm still getting back into it, so I have to estimate off the one hole at the exec course I've been playing that I can hit the driver.

My average drive is probably about 240-250 right now, I keep slicing every time I play that course and it's hard to judge the range since it doesn't have yardage markers just little greens & flags.

I might reach out to about 275-ish on a really good drive currently.

Longest drive I've ever hit...285 (using yardage markers/sprinkler heads) without assistance. I once hit one ~600 yards, but that was special circumstances - the fairway was bordered by the small paved runway at the country club and my ball bounced and rolled down the fairway for about 400 yards before rolling into the grass, almost to the next hole's green area.

I am on the outermost extreme.

My average drive with a driver is around 310.
My carry distance is 298.

These are averages. My longest drive(not aided by a cartpath) is 435. Think Downhill downwind. My dad hit is 334 off that tee and he normally never even scares 300.

I do not keep fairway percentages. I keep treeline percentages. For me I play more of a bomb and gouge game and it works because most of the time the rough is never penal enough to make me worry about the fairway.

My treeline percentage is 92% thus far this year.

However last round I hit 10 of 14 fairways, only one was outside the treeline of the misses and only managed to hit the green 5 times. Now on the fringe is not on the green.

I shot 76, my short iron game(even when I laid up to hit fairways) has never been very good, my mid-iron game is ok and my long iron game is very good. Which is why my scoring average on par5's is almost as good as my par 4 scoring average.

I am going to give everyone a secret of how to increase your driving accuracy. Are you read for this?

I never swing any club as hard as I can. Most of the time I swing around 70% of my maximum. When I started playing golf, my husband preached to me about accuracy, so I have also swung around 70%.

I have seen numerous individuals swing as hard as they can especially with the driver. The problem with this is they do not know where the ball is going.

Try this drill, it worked for me. Take a piece of impact tape and place it on the club face. Then swing the driver and hit it 100 yards carry, then move up to 125 yards, 150 yards, 175 yards, 200 yards, etc. Ensure, the ball is hitting the sweet spot. This allows you to work on your impact and rhythm.

My coach and I are working on increasing my swing to around 90%.

One final note, always swing and stay in balance.

I 100% agree with what you have said here. I apply it to my irons- club up and take an easy swing. I hit a lot of greens like that.

I average about 265-270. Long is usually around 290. I have to really smoke one, and I almost never try, to get it to 300.

Funny story here. I was a runt growing up. I didn't hit 5 feet until 7th grade. My dad is terribly short off the tee. When I got to be about 11 or 12, I started getting to where I could outdrive him once a round or so. Well one day, in the dead of a drought, we come up to a par 4 that measured 301, and was dryer that you would believe. Well, little 4 foot something me smacked my drive as hard as I could. As we walked up the fairway, my dad found his ball before I found mine. Initiate smack talk from the 12 year old to his dad immediately.

Well, I didn't find my ball as we walked up the fairway, then bam- there it sits on the fringe of the green. Now, there is no way I have ever believed that was a legitimate 300 yard drive from somebody who wrestled at 90 pounds at the time. It had to have hit the cart path where we didn't see it and then rolled a lot.

Score for the hole- 7. I chipped over the green, chipped back over it, chipped on, then three putted. The drive was pretty, though.

My goal is to hit 200, I can tell you that.

I probably average about 250. I remember the longest I had was on a par 4 and I nearly drove the green, I was just a chip shot onto the green, and if the scorecard is right about the distance then I drove it almost 300 yards. Then again I had the wind at my back heh

just want to hit fairways, don't care how long they go

just want to hit fairways, don't care how long they go

Yeah, a lot of us think like that. But you pay attention to how long they go, don't lie!

i am VERY average with my driving distances. i rarely try to kill one. (off topic) although i do remember one time i hit a 380 yard drive back in 1998. i had about a 15mph wind to my back and the fairway was ROCK hard. i killed my Callaway Great Big Bertha. it was a low launching drive that just rolled and rolled and rolled all the way up the the green 380 yards down the fairway. it was one of those rare occasions where you hit the ball so pure that you never even feel the ball hit the clubface.... but normally im in the 240ish range, hehe

That is a good goal to set for yourself. You can do it! Even if you go off a cart path Julie.

Curious...does it count as a 200 yard drive if you hit 150, then it nails a bridge and flies back towards you for another 50 yards? Cause I've done that.

Back