The Fitness & Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you boys doing morning workouts having a breakfast???? I did a 7am workout yesterday before work and had no problems

Are you boys doing morning workouts having a breakfast???? I did a 7am workout yesterday before work and had no problems

I usually try to do all workouts as early in the morning as posssible, no breakfast. An early lunch after that.

Early morning training gives a good kick to the day, and then basically you've done your exercise and you don't have to keep motivating yourself during the day to go and train if you feel tired, didn't have time to eat, get a beer, play golf, wife calls and needs something to be picked up and so on.

Today was an exception and I went on the afternoon. I try not to go in the evening, because it's hard to get sleep when you have been lifting huge amounts of heavy metal and are all pumped up and got all those man juices flowing like the Niagara falls. Uuuurgh, primal scream!

You should really have something to eat before going to the gym. Even something like a boiled egg or a small bowl of cereal. It gets your motabolism started and helps burn fat

You should really have something to eat before going to the gym. Even something like a boiled egg or a small bowl of cereal. It gets your motabolism started and helps burn fat

That's not always the case. The fed vs. fasted training debate has been going on for a long time and really there is no scientific evidence that backs one or the other. A lot of it will come down to personal preference and how you train best. I've tried both fed and fasted and found that my workouts are much more effective when I'm in a fed state. However, two of the guys that I worked out with at my old gym would get sick if they had anything to eat before lifting. I'd recommend trying both and seeing what it does for you. Lifting heavy on an empty stomach early in the morning was downright terrible for me.

That's not always the case. The fed vs. fasted training debate has been going on for a long time and really there is no scientific evidence that backs one or the other. A lot of it will come down to personal preference and how you train best. I've tried both fed and fasted and found that my workouts are much more effective when I'm in a fed state. However, two of the guys that I worked out with at my old gym would get sick if they had anything to eat before lifting. I'd recommend trying both and seeing what it does for you. Lifting heavy on an empty stomach early in the morning was downright terrible for me.

Same here i can't do anything on an empty stomach. I've always found my workouts are better especially on heavy lifting days when i have eaten. If i go with out eating i usually end up giving up about 3/4 ways through. I do most of my workouts at the gym i work at so it's cool for me to bring nature valley bars into the gym with me.

Same here i can't do anything on an empty stomach. I've always found my workouts are better especially on heavy lifting days when i have eaten. If i go with out eating i usually end up giving up about 3/4 ways through. I do most of my workouts at the gym i work at so it's cool for me to bring nature valley bars into the gym with me.

I have the opposite, for me it's much harder after breakfast (which I rarely eat), but it's crucial to eat after the workout. Carbs & Protein. I usually take a good protein / carb shake after workout immediately, and then eat something within an hour or two.

I need to wait about 3-4 hours to work out after putting something into my stomach. Otherwise I burp it up the entire workout and it's gross. After words however, I need some sort of protein. I have found that a Greek yogurt fits that bill perfectly.

I need to wait about 3-4 hours to work out after putting something into my stomach. Otherwise I burp it up the entire workout and it's gross. After words however, I need some sort of protein. I have found that a Greek yogurt fits that bill perfectly.

I absolutely love Greek yogurt, but man, the things it does to my stomach. I have 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt flavored with stevia and cinnamon everyday after lunch and immediately afterwards have to make a trip to the bathroom. I think I'm lactose intolerant or bordering on it, but I can't give up milk and yogurt.

I absolutely love Greek yogurt, but man, the things it does to my stomach. I have 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt flavored with stevia and cinnamon everyday after lunch and immediately afterwards have to make a trip to the bathroom. I think I'm lactose intolerant or bordering on it, but I can't give up milk and yogurt.

My one year old loves fruit on the bottom Greek yogurt. The things I have to deal with after she has some would be effective birth control to high schoolers.

My one year old loves fruit on the bottom Greek yogurt. The things I have to deal with after she has some would be effective birth control to high schoolers.

amen to that lol, anyone who has raised or taken care of small children knows that it's the best form of birth control lol

Greej yogurt is so good and it's a great alternative to other "unhealthy" snacks, I love the fruit at the bottom (and the live bacteria at the bottom too. . .)

I've been eating yogurt every morning instead of a hearty breakfast and it really has helped me from adding more weight

I used to skip breakfast every day, but recently been having porridge. Really does help with the mid morning snack urge.

Some kegs were thrown last night. Tried my new pre-workout formula and jeez does this stuff help you push on.

About time to go dominate the gym again. I'm up to 223 as of today. Making good progress but I've really got to buckle down on my eating again. When I was cutting last spring/summer I did really well on resisting temptations and kept my macros at what they needed to be. It was by far my most successful cut. On the bulk I'm on now it started out as being just a little lenient but unfortunately has turned into eating absolute garbage for my last 300-500 calories of the day for the past few days in order to hit my goal. Gotta buckle down on that to make sure what I gain is clean and not a waste of time.

Schweitzer, would you mind sharing a day of your diet while you are putting on weight? What do you try and keep your daily intake at?

I know a few guys have tried, but is anyone else doing crossfit?

Schweitzer, would you mind sharing a day of your diet while you are putting on weight? What do you try and keep your daily intake at?

I know a few guys have tried, but is anyone else doing crossfit?

I'd be more than happy to.

I have a spreadsheet that I've sent to a few guys here that really helps me. It calculates what your maintenance calories are based on activity level, body fat, and current size. At my current weight I'm trying to hit somewhere around 3760 calories per day. My macros for now are 334/356/111 Protein/Carb/Fat. I try and eat relatively clean (a lot of lean meat, vegetables, fruit) but when you're eating foods that are very calorie dense (most fruits and vegetables fall under this category) it's sometimes hard to hit your calories. I absolutely love love love peanut butter for this, and I can't say enough about Peanut Butter & Co. brand peanut butter. I go through 2-3 jars of their dark chocolate peanut butter per week. I'm actually planning on eating 3 tablespoons of that along with a banana for my preworkout meal here in just a little bit.

I am anxious to try CrossFit and there is an affiliate in my town, but the cost is outrageous IMO. It's something like $85/mo. for 3 classes/wk. and you have to attend at certain times on certain days. If you can't make it that day then it's too bad. For an unlimited membership it's well over $100/month, and unlike a gym, you can't go when it works for you. You have to attend classes taught by instructors which is pretty inconvenient for me. The workouts are intense for sure, but you can do much of it without having to attend a strictly "CrossFit" gym.

I'd be more than happy to.

I have a spreadsheet that I've sent to a few guys here that really helps me. It calculates what your maintenance calories are based on activity level, body fat, and current size. At my current weight I'm trying to hit somewhere around 3760 calories per day. My macros for now are 334/356/111 Protein/Carb/Fat. I try and eat relatively clean (a lot of lean meat, vegetables, fruit) but when you're eating foods that are very calorie dense (most fruits and vegetables fall under this category) it's sometimes hard to hit your calories. I absolutely love love love peanut butter for this, and I can't say enough about Peanut Butter & Co. brand peanut butter. I go through 2-3 jars of their dark chocolate peanut butter per week. I'm actually planning on eating 3 tablespoons of that along with a banana for my preworkout meal here in just a little bit.

I am anxious to try CrossFit and there is an affiliate in my town, but the cost is outrageous IMO. It's something like $85/mo. for 3 classes/wk. and you have to attend at certain times on certain days. If you can't make it that day then it's too bad. For an unlimited membership it's well over $100/month, and unlike a gym, you can't go when it works for you. You have to attend classes taught by instructors which is pretty inconvenient for me. The workouts are intense for sure, but you can do much of it without having to attend a strictly "CrossFit" gym.

Geez thats a lot of calories.

I've lucked into my crossfit situation, there is a place about 4 miles from that is $100 for unlimited classes a month for students, San Antonio is also a crossfit heavy city with the military presence. Do none of the places around you have open gym time?

The spreadsheet and other data really did open my eyes to what is required, great info. I'm starting to think I need something more pre-workout too. Tonight I really did struggle a bit with energy.

Legs and back tonight, lots of squats and lunges. Going to be a bit shaky in the morning!

I just killed myself in the pool. Swam way farther than I ever have before.

Make it all the way to the other side?

I jest, yet I swim like a brick.

Swimming is a great way to keep fit. I do a lot of swimming during our lifeguard training and also during recovery days

Barely, lol.

You'd beat me with that form! I'm all splash and no cash. Sometimes I wish I could enjoy swimming more, it's a great workout.

I love swimming. It's a great workout, but it doesn't suck like running does.

Geez thats a lot of calories.

I've lucked into my crossfit situation, there is a place about 4 miles from that is $100 for unlimited classes a month for students, San Antonio is also a crossfit heavy city with the military presence. Do none of the places around you have open gym time?

Unfortunately I live in a smaller area and we only have the one CrossFit gym. The owners don't do that as a full time job so it is only open the hours that they have instructors there. Having scheduled classes is just too inconvenient for me. Plus it only costs me $40/month for my wife and I to both attend the nicest gym in town. It has everything I look for in a gym along with things that she likes such as an outside pool and sauna.

I'd like to try crossfit but as of now it just wouldn't jive with my schedule.

Just finished week two of weight increase and all sets and reps were completed and then some. I'm ready for an increase again on Tuesday. Pretty excited to see how the body handles it.

My only complaint about today is that fresh ink on one's right arm isn't conducive to cable crossovers at all. That was not pleasant.

Swimming is a great way to keep fit. I do a lot of swimming during our lifeguard training and also during recovery days

Man do I wish I had access to a pool, that is great exercise and really takes off the excess body fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back