The High Cost of "Premium" Putters

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Let's take a look at some prices really quickly...

Scotty Cameron- $300
Ping Redwood- $300
Yes! Putters - $300
Cleveland Classic- $100

The four examples listed above are all milled, non insert putters. They have all received critical acclaim, and they have all won on tour. They are all production models, not custom work, not special editions.

Look at entry's 1-3, and look at entry 4. See a slight difference?

What I am getting at is, why are these premium putters so darned expensive? I mean, are they three times as good as the Cleveland? Are they hand forged from bricks of, I don't know, myrrh? No, and hell no. So what gives? Are you just paying for the name, or am I missing something here? Is there some special, more labor intensive process they use that creates a significant difference in quality? I don't know, but you tell me. Chime in with your thoughts.

Last edited:
I guess I dont see this much as a rising cost really. Just like every piece of equipment there will always be lower priced and higher priced. It will depend on materials used, artistry, and of course demand.

I think that the value of the Cleveland Classics series is what makes them so desirable and that is what makes them so special.

I agree with you in some ways. However, most companies, including the ones that you listed, offer lower price point putters. Most offer a high end version due to materials, R & D or exclusivity or a combination of those features.

I guess people think that the more expensive a putter is, the straighter it will go!
I'm not sure, but since companys like S.C. already have a reputation, but Cleveland hasn't made a big dent in the putter industry, Cleveland sells for less to get their foot in the door. I'm sure if it was the other way around, Cleveland would sell for more. Just my thoughts, not sure if they're right or not.

I was just looking at some Odyssey putter that was $349 on golfgalaxy.com. Some new limited edition putter made of titanium.

I agree with you in some ways. However, most companies, including the ones that you listed, offer lower price point putters. Most offer a high end version due to materials, R & D or exclusivity or a combination of those features.

Yes and ping do offer lower priced ones, you are right. But let me ask this, what is so different about the steel, R &D, and exclusivity of a Scotty Cameron. Anyone with 300 bucks can buy one.

I actually putted with this the other day. It wasn't all that great.
I was just looking at some Odyssey putter that was $349 on golfgalaxy.com. Some new limited edition putter made of titanium.

Yes and ping do offer lower priced ones, you are right. But let me ask this, what is so different about the steel, R &D, and exclusivity of a Scotty Cameron. Anyone with 300 bucks can buy one.

I think the exclusivity is simply from the fact that most people won't spend that much on a putter. It isn't because it is made with Martian metal for sure, but the exclusivity is there, even if it is for a ridiculous reason.

Not saying I agree with it. Just pointing to factors. That Cleveland Classic model is a great putter, I gamed one of the originals for a good while and still adore it. It sure isn't a Damascus steel beauty that is going to make my playing partners drool though.

Is the Cleveland milled 100% or just face milled?

Don't forget that Martic Kaymer won the PGA with a $90 Ping Karsten Series Anser II.

Scotty Cameron- $300 - Fully milled from a blank (though I've heard this be argued)
Ping Redwood- $300 - Usually closer to $250, Fully milled from a blank
Yes! Putters - $300 - It's actually worse than this. Their fully milled models are/were $360. The rest go for around $200 and are cast from various stainless steels, some are forged and are a little more. The C-Groove face is cast on most. Lots of different platings used. $ is for perceived technology advantage and Yes! wanting to be premium.
Cleveland Classic- $100 - Best value in golf. Cast and milled on faces only, like SeeMore FGP lines priced at $140.

There is an obvious price difference between putters that are fully milled from blanks and those that are cast and then finish milled. That cost is largely time related... some of the markups are due to paying for a name, justified or not.

I believe it is just face milled, but riddle me this. Why make a 100% milled putter? What is the point? What makes a CNC milled putter better than one that isn't?

I believe it is just face milled, but riddle me this. Why make a 100% milled putter? What is the point? What makes a CNC milled putter better than one that isn't?

Personally, I have used both and prefer the one I have (CC3) or an insert. I think it comes down to personal preference. Also, I think that some people like knowing they are putting with something that is 100% milled as it seems to involve a little more craftsmanship.

"Better" is 100% perception. I personally find that there's a feel difference. Cast clubs tend to be harder and therefore feel more harsh. Some makers like Ping, Cleveland, & SeeMore have gotten around this to some extent, but the harsh click is still there.

I dont think its rising costs...the putters mentioned above have always been fairly expensive. I think there are just other offerings out there for a lower priced putter now more than before.

"Cast clubs tend to be harder and therefore feel more harsh."

BenJ,
I could not disagree more with this statement. While this may have been the case years ago before vacuum casting, it is simply not true anymore. I wont get into it completely, but the process of making the club simply does not have any relation anymore to its feel.

To quote a famous clubmaker...

"I could forge a rock hard piece of metal and it would still be rock hard or I could cast a softer metal and it would still be soft. It all has do with what the ingredients are in proportion to ones perception of feel."

On the CNC/Forged vs Cast thing.

It is forged/ milled from a blank right?
The blank is usually a fairly uniform shape, like a square, right?
How did it get to be a square in the first place?
Did they, I don't know, CAST it?

I could be wrong, if I am, enlighten me.

Yeah, the name was poorly thought out, but I don't know how to change it. A mod can, if he/she wishes.

===== QUOTE Hawk ====

===== /QUOTE ====

As mentioned feel is about perception and the cast of just a few years ago is not the same as you see today. A milled face creates a completely different feel off the face of the putter. Better is really up to the individual, some prefer a smooth face while other like the feel and roll of milling.

I can't say I feel a lot of difference from the milling, but some people do. To me its more the roll on the ball, but I do feel a ton of difference going from one material to another.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Me too Duey. I have a lot of putters here and pick up a cast and forged from the same metal and I cannot tell a difference at all. However pick up a Carbon Steel and a Stainless and there is a completely different tone and feel altogether.

Different metals do have different feel. How much more expensive can they be? I am not talking something like Damascus steel, just a high carbon varient, ect.

I am a bit of a knife junkie, so I know there is some price and quality difference, but is it really this exorbitant?

Me too Duey. I have a lot of putters here and pick up a cast and forged from the same metal and I cannot tell a difference at all. However pick up a Carbon Steel and a Stainless and there is a completely different tone and feel altogether.

That's what has me so excited about TP Mills joining us. I'd like to hear how things like sound slots effect the tone of different materials and understand swing weight better.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Some makers like Ping, Cleveland, & SeeMore have gotten around this to some extent,tter" is 100% but the harsh click is still there.
[/QUOTE]

Some people like the click. I love having that audio feedback.

Different metals do have different feel. How much more expensive can they be? I am not talking something like Damascus steel, just a high carbon varient, ect.

I am a bit of a knife junkie, so I know there is some price and quality difference, but is it really this exorbitant?

Sometimes. But there is more to it than that. Heck, someone may prefer the feel of an insert than a high cost metal. In the end, the cost of anything has to do with supply and demand.

Exactly Blugold. I want that click!

Back