The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

I absolutely think losing players like Cam, Joaco, Bryson, DJ (I’m sure I’m forgetting more notables) cause some dilution. Cam imo gives LIV that “current, at the very top of the game player” they had been missing.
Agreed. I have always thought the losses were large. Bryson was the most popular golfer on the planet 18 months ago before injury. The media was never going to let him be a fan favorite though (mostly on him). DJ, Brooks, etc are huge names that have multiple majors and are current stars. I never understood that argument, but was genuinely curious.

With that said, the PGA Tour should be able to reload, not rebuild. The problem is their partners are so click dependent, they can't take the time to build more momentum for players. So instead, it just ricochets back to nothing buy Rory and Tiger.

same reason people said rory win yesterday should have an asterisk because some of the best players weren’t there 😂.
Did people actually say that? Here?

Agreed. I have always thought the losses were large. Bryson was the most popular golfer on the planet 18 months ago before injury. The media was never going to let him be a fan favorite though (mostly on him). DJ, Brooks, etc are huge names that have multiple majors and are current stars. I never understood that argument, but was genuinely curious.

With that said, the PGA Tour should be able to reload, not rebuild. The problem is their partners are so click dependent, they can't take the time to build more momentum for players. So instead, it just ricochets back to nothing buy Rory and Tiger.
The PGAT needs stories. Brooks and Bryson were/are very good players and also very hate-able characters. Hatred is very polarizing and unfortunately people engage in subjects/views they hate (a fact that I am aware of). The rookies this year are just good guys Cam Young, Theegala etc. They need someone controversial to build story lines. Someone just needs to turn full villain.

What cracks me up is if Jay didn't have such an ego, he could have solved this LIV golf problem from the start by just letting players play in LIV events. Then there wouldn't be the need for all of these big sweeping changes and everybody would be happy.

Ah well.

The PGAT needs stories. Brooks and Bryson were/are very good players and also very hate-able characters. Hatred is very polarizing and unfortunately people engage in subjects/views they hate (a fact that I am aware of). The rookies this year are just good guys Cam Young, Theegala etc. They need someone controversial to build story lines. Someone just needs to turn full villain.
Completely agree. There are two reasons casual fans watch.
Domination or Polarization.

They had both in Tiger, which was fantastic for the game. They had a chance with Bryson, but genuinely blew it at every chance they got (so did he).

Yes. Tour Champ thread. Rory has been the target of many here lately. Comments went from Rory sucks and we like it, to his win was an exhibition and should have an asterisk quickly :ROFLMAO:.

Seems to me that the players that have gone on to LIV-from Phil to DJ to Brooks-have sort of become irrelevant. Will a media rights deal change that? Perhaps but it appears out of sight out of mind.

Yes. Tour Champ thread. Rory has been the target of many here lately. Comments went from Rory sucks and we like it, to his win was an exhibition and should have an asterisk quickly :ROFLMAO:.

While I wasn't one to say this or feel this way, lots of people say LIV is an exhibition because the field is so limited. So going by that, how can the TC not be considered an exhibition by those who call LIV an exhibition?

Not trying to say you have said this as I don't recall you posting that LIV was just an exhibition, however I do know it's been said many times in this thread.

I saw those, but didnt see anything said about asterisk because players left outside of a single person laughing about it.

I personally said that if LIV was going to be called an exhibition, then that should have too. It was a limited no cut field that was handicapped.
I can't for the life of me figure out why 18 less holes is taboo, but a handicapped event is A-Ok. But then again, its clearly in this emotionally charged atmosphere of ********, people are off their rockers.

Seems to me that the players that have gone on to LIV-from Phil to DJ to Brooks-have sort of become irrelevant. Will a media rights deal change that? Perhaps but it appears out of sight out of mind.
Bryson is really the only 1 who still seems relevant and that seems purely from his youtube content. I think DJ got a little bit with his play at The Open but Phil and Brooks really have seemed to fallen off the radar hard at least to me.

Bryson is really the only 1 who still seems relevant and that seems purely from his youtube content. I think DJ got a little bit with his play at The Open but Phil and Brooks really have seemed to fallen off the radar hard at least to me.
What does relevant mean, though? I posted this earlier in the thread. LIV got a bunch of personalities and a bunch of guys who have won very recently on the PGA Tour.

Don’t quote me on this, but calendar year 21 and 22… Phil, Bryson, Brooks, Reed, Ancer, Na, Gooch, Swafford, Jones and Kokrak (2) I think.

I saw those, but didnt see anything said about asterisk because players left outside of a single person laughing about it.

I personally said that if LIV was going to be called an exhibition, then that should have too. It was a limited no cut field that was handicapped.
I can't for the life of me figure out why 18 less holes is taboo, but a handicapped event is A-Ok. But then again, its clearly in this emotionally charged atmosphere of ********, people are off their rockers.

post 405. I hope there was some sarcasm involved, but it was the "theme" after he won.

Reactions: JB
What does relevant mean, though? I posted this earlier in the thread. LIV got a bunch of personalities and a bunch of guys who have won very recently on the PGA Tour.
I just don't hear about them much anymore. Phil used to get all the love and had this cult following almost but that fell apart last year, Bryson still gets a ton of views and plays with all the big youtube guys so he is still out there present to everyone, but DJ other than The Open I haven't seen or heard much of him as far as interviews or commercials. Maybe it is they just aren't on TV as much so out of sigh out of mind like Stu said.

post 405. I hope there was some sarcasm involved, but it was the "theme" after he won.
Okay, makes more sense that a single post made it. I saw "people" and thought that a group were talking about this like it was a real thought. Thats crazy talk. Guy played great and won and the media celebrates along with him. It was a great show and a final round that made the playoffs worth watching.

While I wasn't one to say this or feel this way, lots of people say LIV is an exhibition because the field is so limited. So going by that, how can the TC not be considered an exhibition by those who call LIV an exhibition?

Not trying to say you have said this as I don't recall you posting that LIV was just an exhibition, however I do know it's been said many times in this thread.

That's was my point haha. People will say whatever to fit the narrative. Undoubtedly myself included at some points.

I'm glad to see Cam Young staying on the PGA.

The Tour Championship has a cut, it may last over a few events but all the players don't make it to the final.

Also, it's an annual event, LIV is an entire tour without a cut, 54 holes and a limited field, in others words an exhibition.

I'm glad to see Cam Young staying on the PGA.
I truly respect his thought process. It must have been a crazy tough decision. Could be completely wrong about this, but I think if LIV events received OWGR points he’d have been gone.

I truly respect his thought process. It must have been a crazy tough decision. Could be completely wrong about this, but I think if LIV events received OWGR points he’d have been gone.

I don't doubt that. That is a big domino that has yet to fall.

The Tour Championship has a cut, it may last over a few events but all the players don't make it to the final.

Also, it's an annual event, LIV is an entire tour without a cut, 54 holes and a limited field, in others words an exhibition.
I think you are confusing the Tour Championship with the Fedex Cup Playoffs. The Tour Championship is a single event.
The FedEx Cup Playoffs is made up of FedEx St Jude Championship. BMW Championship. Tour Championship.
There were no cuts in either of the final two events.

I think you are confusing the Tour Championship with the Fedex Cup Playoffs. The Tour Championship is a single event.
The FedEx Cup Playoffs is made up of FedEx St Jude Championship. BMW Championship. Tour Championship.
There were no cuts in either of the final two events.
Right, he's talking about the Playoffs. There is no cut during any event, but a cut occurs after each event.

That was me. The FedEx Cup and Tour Championship was diluted because a lot of the best players were banned from playing. DJ, Koepka, DeChambeau, Reed, Oosthuizen, Gooch, Kokrak, Wolff, Na. That is a lot of top ranked players out of the mix.

Kudos to your stick-to-it-iveness.

LIV is an entire tour without a cut, 54 holes and a limited field, in others words an exhibition.
When this concept of relegation came up, wasn't it announced that only the top 24 in each LIV event would be awarded "points" that would determine at the end of the year the 5 who got "relegated"? Even though they may play in all three rounds, that, to me, that is somewhat of a cut.

I appreciate your willingness to try and spin things to fit your narrative, but it just doesn't work that way. You can't have it be okay for one and not for the other just because you decide to apply some sort of criteria to it to fit your narrative. A limited field event with no cut is either an exhibition, or it isn't.

Back