The Masters is in a slump

I hope the tournament committee looks at things and realizes maybe they play tees up a bit more when it’s windy as hell.
Question , without any insight ? Why would pushing tees up ? Be better than the taking back , in both scenarios wind affected ? Would think that wind influence , would cause maybe greater errors on longer hole ?

Is Augusta , a typically wind minimal or windless place ?

I have no weather knowledge of the area

Strong winds are usually not present during the Masters tournament.
I think then the havoc and indecision and
influence the weather has , is just another challenge to be considered and overcome … the field equally contends with it ) thanks

I think then the havoc and indecision and
influence the weather has , is just another challenge to be considered and overcome … the field equally contends with it ) thanks
Yes, this week the wind caused indecision about club selection and choosing lines of play, which helped make the tournament especially exciting.

It was a bit boring on Sunday but I can think of a lot of winners I like less than Scottie the last 20 years. I almost always prefer when an American wins and it was true this year. I enters a $25 Masters pool this year that a buddy hosts and wound up taking 3rd out of 196 entries so that made it a bit more fun. :)

IMG_0377.jpeg

Last edited:
I wasn't able to watch much Saturday but there were a lot of moves that happened that day and up to 4 different people tied for first on Sunday. Yeah, it ended with Scottie winning by a few strokes, but there was a lot of artificial drama there and it was pretty great.

Scottie won by watching others blow up. The number of doubles by his close rivals between 9 and 12 was amazing. He played steady golf with a couple of birdies and they all fell apart.

Nothing wrong with the Masters, just the golfers.

I don’t like the lengthening and changes to 13 and 15.
13 and 15 used to be some of the best holes to watch, especially on Sunday, when they were possible eagle chances for most of the field, with true risk/reward...the changes killed that.

I always like Phil and Jordan in the mix but I have also been keeping my eye on Ludwig Aberg. I actually picked him to win in a contest with guys I know. First time there, good showing. He has been on the rise for awhile now and I think will be a contender for years to come. Scottie Scheffller has been consistently good and maintains his composure so well. Good to watch.

Question , without any insight ? Why would pushing tees up ? Be better than the taking back , in both scenarios wind affected ? Would think that wind influence , would cause maybe greater errors on longer hole ?
580 into the wind, you’re taking the chance to go for it in two out of most the field’s hands. So instead of patrons buzzing and cheering for great second shots and eagle chances, they’re watching wedge shots and more often than not, applauding two putt pars.

It just kills some of the excitement on the second 9. Once Scottie found dry land on 12, the odds of him being caught went down ten fold.

I've been a fan of The Masters for over fifty years and have attended over twenty. It's a magical place. The committee strives for perfection and usually achieves it. Granted this year's final round wasn't as exciting as Friday or Saturday. Nothing against Scottie because he's a good guy and very talented, but I caught myself hoping he would make a couple of mistakes to add drama. My two biggest takeaways are how poorly the LIV guys played and how well Aberg performed in his first major.

I kept waiting for a move from someone but it never came. Scottie was the only reason to watch along with the kid from Sweden. I loved his attitude.
The greens didn't have the normal Masters green look. I kept thinking my tv's color was messed up.Even Vern's last call not as awesome because the excitement wasn't there. I am older and even I think the jacket ceremony on tv is cringy and stiff. Still an awesome event but this year....Ehhhh.

Scottie won by watching others blow up. The number of doubles by his close rivals between 9 and 12 was amazing. He played steady golf with a couple of birdies and they all fell apart.

Nothing wrong with the Masters, just the golfers.

Scottie birdied 13, 14 and 16. Sure the other golfers blew up but he didn't just hang on to win. He is just playing at another level currently so unless becoming a new dad throws him get ready for a boring Major season. Scottie could run the table.

My two biggest takeaways are how poorly the LIV guys played and how well Aberg performed in his first major.

Sure none of the LIV guys had a chance to win after Dechambeau bombed early in the final round, but 3 of the top 10 isn't that poor for the LIV guys.

If Morikawa or Homa had shot a 66 like Tom Kim, we would have had a great finish. Sadly only 2 of the top 20 ,other than Scottie, broke 70.

Sure none of the LIV guys had a chance to win after Dechambeau bombed early in the final round, but 3 of the top 10 isn't that poor for the LIV guys.

I know Rahm talked about making it 4 rounds recently--they only play 42 competitive rounds of golf a year other than the majors.

I do wonder if that affects their sharpness more than they let on

The Masters tees off Thursday every year with only about 20 guys who can win it. Only 10 of them will play well enough to be competitive. If one of those 20 happens to be on a hot streak they’re very likely to beat the others. It’s a tournament built for the longest hitters in pro golf to win.

I know Rahm talked about making it 4 rounds recently--they only play 42 competitive rounds of golf a year other than the majors.

I do wonder if that affects their sharpness more than they let on
I mean there were only 13 LIV players in the masters. 8 made the cut, 3 finished in the top 10. Thats really not that bad.

I really think the less rounds affecting their sharpness is overblown for the most part.

13 and 15 used to be some of the best holes to watch, especially on Sunday, when they were possible eagle chances for most of the field, with true risk/reward...the changes killed that.
Maybe they can shorten things up when the new shorter golf ball is a reality in a few years. :) Eagles would be a good thing on Sunday.

I really enjoyed it, it was the first Masters I have watched for a while and probably the most time I have been able to devote to it. As I was on UK timezone most of it was post 3pm and main coverage 7:30-12:00pm on Sky (UK broadcaster).

I thought the last 9 was pretty engaging - as others have said Scottie was pushing the pack pretty hard and I'd say that Collin's errant shots were in part due to the pressure to push hard to catch him. Big kudos to Aberg as well for holding his nerve and coming second in his first Major - that's a decent story as well.

Bryson added some colour, Tyrell some outbursts, and Jason Day - well certainly the UK commentators keep that one going through Sunday as well. Lots to like about it.

My two biggest takeaways are how poorly the LIV guys played and how well Aberg performed in his first major.
My biggest takeaway was JT, Jordan, Clark, Hovland, Harman and Burns missing cut and TW coming in dead last.

3 out of 13 LIV guys finishing top 10.

There was lots of discussion about TW and consecutive cuts but no conversation about someone with most cuts.

Congratulations to Phil for another Masters cut.
IMG_1771.jpeg

Morikawa said he got greedy and fell out of contention with a pair of double bogeys.
But he needed to make those shots if he had any expectation of winning considering that Scheffler was in the lead.
There is a huge difference between winning and coming in 2nd or third in golf.
The winner gets a laundry list of benefits in addition to the huge paycheck.

Couldn't agree with you more on the announcers. Can't stand to listen to them. The tournament itself was pretty good to me though, pro's making plenty of double bogey's and you just don't know what could happen. Scottie played incredibly on the Sunday and that's fun to watch to me.

The masters isn’t my favorite major but I thought it was entertaining down to the final few holes before everyone else doubled. Scottie barely reacting that he just won a major was interesting though.

Back