The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks bud, once we hear from him and make our decision we have to get rolling with that townhouse down the street from Belbin's.

Ya I'm waiting with you, just let me know and I can send the money or whatever you guys need. Can I pay for my share with "whatnot"?

They're probably just tapping their 2nd keg....it'll fire up here soon!

fraternity-keg-stand-teamwork-poster1.jpg

Forgive me for dropping actual golf talk into this thread....

I went to the new Golf Town store here in Boston (great addition, TONS of gear there) to check out the Taylormade putters. I have a Corza Ghost in the bag right now, but I wanted to check out the other putters. I didn't hit the TM-110 because I had tried the Ghost Daytona Putter last year and realized that a Anser-style putter isn't for me. I first tried the TM-770, and it was just OK, nothing to write home about. Next, I tried out the TM-880....wait a second, there's a challenger for the place in my bag! The feel of the ball coming off of the putter was awesome, and I was actually holing some long putts on the practice green. I'm usually more of a SBST style of putter than an arc putter, but I felt like I could really release the putter head and get a good roll on the ball.

After some putts with the TM-880, I went back to the Corza Ghost. This year's version has the Pure Roll insert like the rest of the Ghost line, which is different from the putter I have in my bag right now. Even though the inserts are the same in both putters, the feel of the Corza Ghost didn't match up to the TM-880, which was interesting to me. I did feel like I could line up the Corza Ghost better than the TM-880, so there were pluses and minuses to each putter. After hitting a bunch of 10-20 foot putts with each putter, I still didn't have a clear winner. I decided to move into the most important range for a putter: the 3-6 foot range. These types of putts are going to be the putts that decide the Morgan Cup, and I have to have confidence over those putts. In that range, the clear winner was the Corza Ghost. On the short putts with the TM-880, I felt like I was actually having too much of an arc type of stroke, and I had trouble getting the putter face square at impact. I knocked in almost every putt in that range with the Corza Ghost, but missed way too many putts in that range with the TM-880. After that, my decision was made, the Corza Ghost will be in my bag for the Morgan Cup. I will post my complete specs after I email them to my tour rep.

I also had a small amount of time to hit the Tour Preferred CB 6-iron in the simulator at the shop. (Here comes the parade of Team Hackers' comments about simulators) Anyways, I was getting distances of 170-180 when the ball would fade and 180-190 with a draw, which are very similar to my R9 irons and a little further in some cases. I wasn't intentionally trying to fade or draw the ball, but the dispersion of the shots was very good except for a couple of really crappy swings that I had. It's not real world, but I was impressed with those clubs, I'm looking forward to hitting them outdoors at a TM demo day later this spring.

I'm off to Texas for the weekend, definitely going to shake off some of the winter rust down there!

Excellent post ary, I'm super happy that you found the putter to help you make the most 6 footers, those are going to be amazingly important at the Morgan Cup! Congrats on finding your putter!

Excellent post ary, I'm super happy that you found the putter to help you make the most 6 footers, those are going to be amazingly important at the Morgan Cup! Congrats on finding your putter!

+1 great write up and glad you found your putter.

nice writeup there! I liked the TM-880 the same too. in the 10-20 foot range i was knocking them down and close. I was equally solid with them under 10 feet - which is very important. I am not a full mallet type putter. Not sure why - youd think its just a piece of equipment. But i loved the smaller, heavy size of the maranello. It is magical.

think i could send it in to get vibranted for the competition? i want solid white lol

He's still working on some things in order to try to secure us the best price possible. You'll have to be patient with this fella.
No worries, just thought I would follow-up.

Got my letter today!!!!

View attachment 2244

This is SO COOL! Thanks TM and THP.
Congrats buddy! Sure is a great feeling huh?

I went to the new Golf Town store here in Boston (great addition, TONS of gear there) to check out the Taylormade putters. I have a Corza Ghost in the bag right now, but I wanted to check out the other putters. I didn't hit the TM-110 because I had tried the Ghost Daytona Putter last year and realized that a Anser-style putter isn't for me. I first tried the TM-770, and it was just OK, nothing to write home about. Next, I tried out the TM-880....wait a second, there's a challenger for the place in my bag! The feel of the ball coming off of the putter was awesome, and I was actually holing some long putts on the practice green. I'm usually more of a SBST style of putter than an arc putter, but I felt like I could really release the putter head and get a good roll on the ball.

After some putts with the TM-880, I went back to the Corza Ghost. This year's version has the Pure Roll insert like the rest of the Ghost line, which is different from the putter I have in my bag right now. Even though the inserts are the same in both putters, the feel of the Corza Ghost didn't match up to the TM-880, which was interesting to me. I did feel like I could line up the Corza Ghost better than the TM-880, so there were pluses and minuses to each putter. After hitting a bunch of 10-20 foot putts with each putter, I still didn't have a clear winner. I decided to move into the most important range for a putter: the 3-6 foot range. These types of putts are going to be the putts that decide the Morgan Cup, and I have to have confidence over those putts. In that range, the clear winner was the Corza Ghost. On the short putts with the TM-880, I felt like I was actually having too much of an arc type of stroke, and I had trouble getting the putter face square at impact. I knocked in almost every putt in that range with the Corza Ghost, but missed way too many putts in that range with the TM-880. After that, my decision was made, the Corza Ghost will be in my bag for the Morgan Cup. I will post my complete specs after I email them to my tour rep.

I also had a small amount of time to hit the Tour Preferred CB 6-iron in the simulator at the shop. (Here comes the parade of Team Hackers' comments about simulators) Anyways, I was getting distances of 170-180 when the ball would fade and 180-190 with a draw, which are very similar to my R9 irons and a little further in some cases. I wasn't intentionally trying to fade or draw the ball, but the dispersion of the shots was very good except for a couple of really crappy swings that I had. It's not real world, but I was impressed with those clubs, I'm looking forward to hitting them outdoors at a TM demo day later this spring.

I'm off to Texas for the weekend, definitely going to shake off some of the winter rust down there!

Good stuff. The putts in that range will not be conceded and will have to be holed out. You'll thank yourself later for that decision. Well done!

Have a good trip down to Texas.

Last edited:
No worries, just thought I would follow-up.

Congrats buddy! Sure is a great feeling huh?

Good stuff. The putts in that range will not be conceded and will have to be holed out. You'll thank yourself later for that decision. Well done!

Have a good trip down to Texas.

Maybe....Depends on how I wanna mess with the guy I am against

Maybe....Depends on how I wanna mess with the guy I am against

Thats true, concede 4 foot putts all day until he realllyyyyyy had to make it then make him putt it.

Thats true, concede 4 foot putts all day until he realllyyyyyy had to make it then make him putt it.

exactly...just depends on where the match stands

Good stuff Flipper...I'm going down to the big city tonight to hopefully find a Maranello and Fontana to similarly test out.

Good stuff Flipper...I'm going down to the big city tonight to hopefully find a Maranello and Fontana to similarly test out.

lol......have fun finding your putter buddy!

This is all I keep picturing.

adolphin1.jpg

ary - if you and me are in singles - and you show up in a flipper t-shirt - i may lose the match on the first tee. lol

Gonna try and do a putter fitting tonight but not sure if I can or whatnot. Definitely going to hit some Tour Design models just to get a feel for them but I can't shake the results of the Backstryke Dart. Our release at work started early and went late last night or would've probably had it nailed down by now.

Reading everyone getting their putter is fantastic. Between this and the outing I'm trying not to overload on excitement and anticipation lol.

I just informed my tour rep of my putter choice for the Morgan Cup.

I had been testing putters since the event was announced and yesterday I had to leave work early to attend 2 different wakes. Since I knew I wasn't going to be able to test last night, I left work extra early and headed out to stores to get 1 more round of testing in. I rolled all 3 DART putters and 2 Tour Black models. All 5 putters would make excellent choices for anyone out on the market looking for a new putter. In what became a closer decision than I had anticipated, I have decided to go with the Tour Black #9.

Really it came down to the Tour Black #2(which was my surprise), #9, and the DART Mallet. The DART putters felt good, but I just couldn't get comfortable with them. My speed control was much better with the #9 than it was the DART.

Thank you Callaway for giving us a nice selection of putters!

That is awesome news DDec. Glad you got to roll all that you could!

I had been testing putters since the event was announced and yesterday I had to leave work early to attend 2 different wakes. Since I knew I wasn't going to be able to test last night, I left work extra early and headed out to stores to get 1 more round of testing in. I rolled all 3 DART putters and 2 Tour Black models. All 5 putters would make excellent choices for anyone out on the market looking for a new putter. In what became a closer decision than I had anticipated, I have decided to go with the Tour Black #9.

Really it came down to the Tour Black #2(which was my surprise), #9, and the DART Mallet. The DART putters felt good, but I just couldn't get comfortable with them. My speed control was much better with the #9 than it was the DART.

ary - if you and me are in singles - and you show up in a flipper t-shirt - i may lose the match on the first tee. lol

that needs to happen!

Gonna try and do a putter fitting tonight but not sure if I can or whatnot. Definitely going to hit some Tour Design models just to get a feel for them but I can't shake the results of the Backstryke Dart. Our release at work started early and went late last night or would've probably had it nailed down by now.

I'm interested to see what you come up with after a putter fitting. Who knows you may end up with something you haven't even considered yet.

That is great dude, you're going to win so many points at the Morgan Cup because of that putter!

Yeah man. I'm hopin they can get me in. Stupid work screwed me up lol. If not I'm not worried but I figure this is a great time to get what works and not what looks prettiest ya know? What to rep THP and Callaway the best I can.

I'm interested to see what you come up with after a putter fitting. Who knows you may end up with something you haven't even considered yet.

So I like went to the range with my daughter Grace and like hit like 60 or 70 balls. I didn't like hurt myself, so that's like pretty good. I like really wish it would warm up. Wintry mix coming tomorrow.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back