The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is odd. The yellow tees at our course has a slope of 124 and the yardage is 5476.

Slope and distance are very different. I was speaking of slope and rating. They usually work hand in hand.

Slope and distance are very different. I was speaking of slope and rating. They usually work hand in hand.
I guess the yardage confused me a bit. I would think a course playing 7000 would be in the 140+ slope category. At 5476 the rating and slope from the yellow tees at our course is 67.8/124.

This link has a good description of it: http://www.usga.org/handicapping/course_ratings/ratings_primer/Course-Rating-Primer/

In a nutshell, the course rating is how a scratch player would play the course, and is usually proportional to distance. The slope rating relates to how a bogey player would play the course. So the course that JRod played today had a high course rating, but the online map of the course didn't show very many hazards for bogey golfers to get tripped up with, so the slope rating is not as high as one may think.

To steer this back to the Morgan Cup, just take a look at the tees that we're going to play. The Watson course will be 6319 yards at 70.6/124, while the Nicklaus course will be 6537 yards at 72.6/142. The higher course rating on the Nicklaus course is understandable given the longer distance, but the big jump in slope rating probably is due to more hazards being in play at the Nicklaus course than the Watson course.

Great shooting One-T, let's bottle some of this up and be sure to have plenty of it on hand at The Morgan Cup. Congrats on your new personal best, awesome stuff!

This link has a good description of it: http://www.usga.org/handicapping/course_ratings/ratings_primer/Course-Rating-Primer/

In a nutshell, the course rating is how a scratch player would play the course, and is usually proportional to distance. The slope rating relates to how a bogey player would play the course. So the course that JRod played today had a high course rating, but the online map of the course didn't show very many hazards for bogey golfers to get tripped up with, so the slope rating is not as high as one may think.

To steer this back to the Morgan Cup, just take a look at the tees that we're going to play. The Watson course will be 6319 yards at 70.6/124, while the Nicklaus course will be 6537 yards at 72.6/142. The higher course rating on the Nicklaus course is understandable given the longer distance, but the big jump in slope rating probably is due to more hazards being in play at the Nicklaus course than the Watson course.

Makes sense. Most scratch golfers can play around the hazards while Bogey golfers avoid them at all cost.

Hey fellow Morgan Cuppers, I hope you're all having a good weekend. I played in a 2 man 4 ball tourney with dad today, not sure how we fared as the results haven't posted yet. It was the first time playing since last Sunday when I set a new personal best (73). I played well today, shot a 76 (par 71, 13 pars and 5 bogeys) but it was my putting that really kept me from going real low today. I had 2 ugly 3 putts and missed a ton of birdie putts that were well within range that I should be making. I'm hitting the ball beautifully off the tee, only missed 3 FWs today, and right now I have tons of confidence with the Razr X Tour irons, I hit 12 GIR. I love where my game is at right now though, it was hot as hell and humid today, just what I needed. All in all it was a pretty good day out there.

Nice shooting Jake!

Shot a 79 today on a 73.3/124 course at 7036 yards. Not bad, my driving was real sporadic.

You too JRod...sounds like some Morgan Cuppers are really rounding into form.

74.....it was good, but not Aha good

Funny funny...but in all seriousness, good playing. Also, big congrats man...I'm sure it's scary and exciting all at the same time.

74.....it was good, but not Aha good

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

Shot a 79 today on a 73.3/124 course at 7036 yards. Not bad, my driving was real sporadic.

Hey fellow Morgan Cuppers, I hope you're all having a good weekend. I played in a 2 man 4 ball tourney with dad today, not sure how we fared as the results haven't posted yet. It was the first time playing since last Sunday when I set a new personal best (73). I played well today, shot a 76 (par 71, 13 pars and 5 bogeys) but it was my putting that really kept me from going real low today. I had 2 ugly 3 putts and missed a ton of birdie putts that were well within range that I should be making. I'm hitting the ball beautifully off the tee, only missed 3 FWs today, and right now I have tons of confidence with the Razr X Tour irons, I hit 12 GIR. I love where my game is at right now though, it was hot as hell and humid today, just what I needed. All in all it was a pretty good day out there.

PS- Congrats One-T.

Awesome playing by all of you guys! I need to get my butt in gear and get some scores in the 70s before the Morgan Cup arrives.

Man i so wish i was in this event, anyways sounds like it is going to be awesome because everyone is shooting lights out. From the looks of things every match is going to come down to the wire and then entire cup will as well.

Man i so wish i was in this event, anyways sounds like it is going to be awesome because everyone is shooting lights out. From the looks of things every match is going to come down to the wire and then entire cup will as well.
You're definitely right about that. There are a lot of people shooting some good scores on both sides right now which is what we want to see, let's keep it going fellas.

You're definitely right about that. There are a lot of people shooting some good scores on both sides right now which is what we want to see, let's keep it going fellas.

Agreed...this is already going to be a fun weekend, but everyone at the top of their game will make it even more exciting.

wow some good scores posted today...good job guys.

Just got in from my scramble tournament. My team took 3rd place @ -10. I got off the tee real well today and putted even better. I had 2 down hill birdie putts lip out(or we would have been at -13). My irons were solid today but I did have some clunkers with them as well. I think back weighting my driver has made a huge difference in my ability to get off the tee. I am going to have to look in to doing that when I get my Callaway Driver in the bag(hopefully this week).

Who knew this was the What did you shoot today thread for both MCers and fans alike.

Played with OEM Kevin today and his iron play and his putting were very impressive! Can't wait to follow all the action next month!

Who knew this was the What did you shoot today thread for both MCers and fans alike.

Ha!!!
I guess I'll add to it then;)

I just have to say, I love my TM wedges, they were money for me today, chips, pitches and bunker shots. Oh yeah... 28 putts :)

Won my match 5&3. Shot 80 with 4 penalty shots (yuck)

Great work rest of team paradise, and even some of you team hackers.

Tappin the keg!

I was thinking the same thing heh.

We just want to show off... Really we all shoot in the mid 90's and post made up scores.

The MC is getting super close! Time for the final prep work and last minute details.

I haven't said it in a while, thanks to THP for all the hard work you ate putting into this event. Every one of the players and all the supporters are grateful.

Tappin the keg!

Played another 36 holes of golf today and now I'm really really tired. Golf can be tiring, a lot of good scores posted today though, good job guys.

We just want to show off... Really we all shoot in the mid 90's and post made up scores.

The MC is getting super close! Time for the final prep work and last minute details.

I haven't said it in a while, thanks to THP for all the hard work you ate putting into this event. Every one of the players and all the supporters are grateful.

Tappin the keg!

Nah that wasn't my point, more the second part of JB's statement.

Ha!!!
I guess I'll add to it then;)

I just have to say, I love my TM wedges, they were money for me today, chips, pitches and bunker shots. Oh yeah... 28 putts :)

Won my match 5&3. Shot 80 with 4 penalty shots (yuck)

Great work rest of team paradise, and even some of you team hackers.

Tappin the keg!
Great work winning your match RB, that's awesome. Great to hear about the putts too buddy, keep it up!

Man guys from both teams are really turning in some good scores :clapp:. I seriously hope everyone of you shoot your best possible rounds during the Morgan Cup and the rounds are close and competitive. That would be the ultimate weekend for all to go away leaving it all on the playing field. If you hit the ball solid and shoot a decent score giving it your all you can win or lose and walk away with your head up high. Keep up the good golfing guys and it's getting closer to the big Match!!!!!

Tappin the keg!

Thank you and for the record, I have been eating a lot...hehe

Great shooting Belbs. That putter is kicking ass lately!

Funny funny...but in all seriousness, good playing. Also, big congrats man...I'm sure it's scary and exciting all at the same time.

Thanks buddy! Gotta give you a hard time when I can.

Thanks for the congrats as well, I am so excited its not even funny.

Enough about me, any scores, and being friends with Hackers.

I miss coolbreez though

Thanks buddy! Gotta give you a hard time when I can.

Thanks for the congrats as well, I am so excited its not even funny.

Enough about me, any scores, and being friends with Hackers.

I miss coolbreez though

I miss you too man, I know I've been away for the whole day which is odd, but you were in my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back