The Official 2021 - 2022 NHL and Everything Hockey Thread

YukonLiving

Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The 2021-2022 NHL season is coming closer and this looks to be somewhat of a return to “normal” after an interesting season last year.

Opening night is scheduled to be October 12th, which will include the debut of the Seattle Kraken. They’re set to face off against the second-newest franchise in the league, the Las Vegas Golden Knights. The schedule is tentative however, assuming that cross-border travel is permitted.

Training camps will open on September 22nd, again provided there are no delays.

Tentative plans are in place for NHL players to participate in the Beijing Olympics in February of 2022, if the IIHF and IOC can come to an agreement.

Will Tampa Bay defend the cup once more with their new roster? What will the storylines be this season?

Will Eichel play this season? If so, will it be for the Sabres?
Some big names on expiring contracts - who gets moved at the deadline?
Will Seattle be competitive?
Which teams get the biggest boost to playoff chances from getting back to their regular divisions? Who gets hurt the most?
Ovechkin is at 730, with five more years under contract. 33 per season gets him the record, and he's only been below that once in his career for a full season. Can he keep up the pace?

New year, new optimism! For now…

How bad will the Ducks suck this year? I will be tuning in to find out :LOL: But they have literally done nothing to the roster so I don't have a lot of hope

I want to say this makes me feel better as a Sixers fan, but really I’m still sad.

I want to say this makes me feel better as a Sixers fan, but really I’m still sad.

So they should either let him have the surgery that he’s wanted or work out a trade.

On this day in 1992 ....
1st female to play in an NHL exhibition game (Manon Rheaume, goalie) for Tampa Bay Lightning

Training Camp!!! The Ducks finally said they are rebuilding. Not that fans didn't already know, but it's nice to know there's a "clear" path going forward now. Excited to see them play again!

On this day in 1992 ....
1st female to play in an NHL exhibition game (Manon Rheaume, goalie) for Tampa Bay Lightning
I still have her hockey card!

NHL preseason is here!

Toronto v. Montreal, and the Leafs looked very good and win 4-1!

Robin Lehner has had a lot to say the last few days.

Has anything come of this? I can't believe how long it's dragged on.
Not to my knowledge. Still no medical intervention and team still looking for a suitor

Has anything come of this? I can't believe how long it's dragged on.
Not sure if you subscribe to the Athletic or not but they did a really good piece on this whole thing.

For anyone not super up to date on it, basically because of the current CBA, the teams have final say on course of treatment for injuries. The Sabres want him to get to get a fusion surgery in his neck and Eichel wants to get an artificial disk replacement. The fusion has a higher chance to require future surgeries down the road with possible complications. The disk replacement is much lower chance for that.

The Sabres argue that the disk replacement isn't best course because it hasn't been performed on an NHLer before. Though it has been performed on many full contact athletes in other sports with far less instances of another surgery.

There have also been teams willing to let Eichel get the fusion surgery. But there is still no trade because the Sabres are trying to get compensation for a fully healthy player while that isn't even close to the case. It's been a really interesting follow. Especially the discussion about Jack's rights as a person, not necessarily a player.

Not sure if you subscribe to the Athletic or not but they did a really good piece on this whole thing.

For anyone not super up to date on it, basically because of the current CBA, the teams have final say on course of treatment for injuries. The Sabres want him to get to get a fusion surgery in his neck and Eichel wants to get an artificial disk replacement. The fusion has a higher chance to require future surgeries down the road with possible complications. The disk replacement is much lower chance for that.

The Sabres argue that the disk replacement isn't best course because it hasn't been performed on an NHLer before. Though it has been performed on many full contact athletes in other sports with far less instances of another surgery.

There have also been teams willing to let Eichel get the fusion surgery. But there is still no trade because the Sabres are trying to get compensation for a fully healthy player while that isn't even close to the case. It's been a really interesting follow. Especially the discussion about Jack's rights as a person, not necessarily a player.

Thanks for the update and clarification. It doesn’t appear, given the provisions of the CBA, that there is much Eichel can do.

Thanks for the update and clarification. It doesn’t appear, given the provisions of the CBA, that there is much Eichel can do.
Yeah all he can do is what he has been doing. Refuse to get a surgery he doesn't think is best for him. Or hope his agent can find a trade partner willing to give Buffalo what they are looking for. It really is a pretty crazy/unique situation that I hope turns out well for Eichel. Since he will be a normal person much longer than he will end up being a player.

Yeah all he can do is what he has been doing. Refuse to get a surgery he doesn't think is best for him. Or hope his agent can find a trade partner willing to give Buffalo what they are looking for. It really is a pretty crazy/unique situation that I hope turns out well for Eichel. Since he will be a normal person much longer than he will end up being a player.

I think that what the Sabres would actually get in a trade and what they would like to get are so far apart.

I think that what the Sabres would actually get in a trade and what they would like to get are so far apart.
Oh they are. If he was healthy, they should absolutely get what they are most likely asking for. He's a franchise player. But he's not healthy. And unless the Sabres let him get the surgery or take less than what they are asking, this will draw out for a long time.

Got to take my son to his first "NHL Game" albeit pre-season. As a hockey fan/player for 25+ years, I'm very happy to report he absolutely loved it! Rumor has it the Knights/Kings will be playing at Vivint Arena here in SLC for the next few years. Hope it is true, though it is a huge miss to make the Kings the home team as it is very apparent that Utah has become a VGK market.

I wanted to go with the Barry Melrose slicked back hockey hair for my son, his mom won with the ponytail as getting that much gel out of the kids hair would be impossible.

1633368648849.png

Robin Lehner has had a lot to say the last few days.
Understatement of the year so far! Apparently the NHLPA were reaching out to him as well in light of his recent comments.

I really hope this becomes the new home of the Coyotes. If so, I foresee a lot of weeknight NHL games for me, as it's literally on the way home form work.

1633370547106.png

Can my Avs finally stay healthy for a season?!? Can’t wait for puck drop this month!!517DA97E-DDB5-44C7-951E-D96D2C69D86A.jpeg

We went to a Penn State football game with one of my wife’s foreign coworkers last weekend and she had a blast. Next up on the list is a Hershey Bears hockey game! I don’t think she’s ready 😬

It’s hard to believe that the season starts next week. Hoping for 3 in a row for the ⚡️. Hopefully, I’ll get to attend a couple games this season. My daughter lives in Tampa and I always try to schedule our visits to Tampa around the Lightning schedule.

Back