The Official Tiger Woods Thread

This GC coverage is brutal.

Yep, and its only going to get worse whether he goes low OR blows up. I just hate missing all the other golf going on during the tournament.

Yep, and its only going to get worse whether he goes low OR blows up. I just hate missing all the other golf going on during the tournament.
Wait there are other people here?

Exactly would be such better coverage if he wasn't around this week

Exactly would be such better coverage if he wasn't around this week
Would it tho? I feel like all they would do is talk about his injury and why he isn't there haha no matter what he's getting coverage

Wait there are other people here?

This is the Tiger Woods thread. You don't talk about other golfers in here. :alien:

This is the Tiger Woods thread. You don't talk about other golfers in here. :alien:

Its a discussion of Tiger and all things surrounding him including the terrible coverage, the thread fits. :alien:

So...... Yeah....spasms.... Those things that make you go hmmmm

I get that everybody is free to post wherever they wish and I'm not trying to tell anybody not to post. I'm just curious why some decide to click on a thread titled "The Official Tiger Woods Thread" if they were tired of seeing/hearing/talking about Tiger Woods.

Maybe I'm just weird, but to me it just seems like if I was tired of seeing/hearing/talking about a certain topic, the last place I would go on a website is a forum thread dedicated to that topic.

Ah well, it's not a big deal, it's just puzzling to me. To each their own.

I get that everybody is free to post wherever they wish and I'm not trying to tell anybody not to post. I'm just curious why some decide to click on a thread titled "The Official Tiger Woods Thread" if they were tired of seeing/hearing/talking about Tiger Woods.

Maybe I'm just weird, but to me it just seems like if I was tired of seeing/hearing/talking about a certain topic, the last place I would go on a website is a forum thread dedicated to that topic.

Funny, isn't it? Sort of like when you go eat at Mexican food place and you always end up with the squirts, but you keep going back for that great salsa knowing you will get the squirts again.

Isn't this an all things Tiger thread? Honest question I didn't go back over 7000 post and read the instructions so I might have missed that.

I think it's a fair point to post in this thread that some feel he is getting too much coverage (nothing new).

In the eve of a major Championship I certainly would have liked to hear more about some other story lines, seen more of the course preview type things.

I understand he's still the biggest name in golf, and the networks want to get all they can out of him while he's around. We never know when we might be seeing the last of him for a very long time, due to his more frequent and more severe injuries.

I'm hoping he plays well, his swing for the practice round looked better than it has in years, he was staying down on it and it almost looks like a different move. Wether he faked an injury or not? only he can answer that I don't really care, I just want him to win again. This may just be the most interesting thread on the forum, I've never seen a topic bring out so much speculation, assumption, or judgement about an athlete lol, me included.

I've been making the rounds of a number of golf threads and Forums and find it hilarious that the Tiger Woods haters are out in force and up in arms over all the face time he is getting leading into the PGA, and the anticipated coverage he will receive once he tees off. All the weird accusations, including he's faking his back injury confirms that they will go to any extreme to spread their hate and vile.

Fact is, like it or not, Tiger Woods is the face of golf, winning or not winning. And he will continue to be for some years to come yet. The folks who cover golf know it... both those who like and dislike him; which is why they give him so much face time. Fact is, he may or may not break Jack's record. Many... including Jack Nicklaus, hope he does. Some.. for reasons I will never understand, hope he doesn't.

In the end, it is what it is. If you don't like Tiger and it bothers you that he's getting so much coverage, there's a quick and easy solution..... click the off button. That's pretty much your only choice, as you can't change reality.

Que sera, sera.

I think it's a fair point to post in this thread that some feel he is getting too much coverage (nothing new).

In the eve of a major Championship I certainly would have liked to hear more about some other story lines, seen more of the course preview type things.

I understand he's still the biggest name in golf, and the networks want to get all they can out of him while he's around. We never know when we might be seeing the last of him for a very long time, due to his more frequent and more severe injuries.

I'm curious to hear which other story lines you would like to hear about? They talked about Rory and how he is well on his way to being the 6th or 7th player ever to win back-to-back majors, talked about Dustin Johnson and his drug issues, talked about Bubba and being a jerk for not Hitting driver, and they Also talked about Rickie and his new found playability with Butch.... What other stories are there which are really worth mentioning?
I also think that Tiger is getting a ton of coverage because it was at this course 14 years ago when Tiger defeated Bob May in one of the most spectacular showings of golf I think I (and many of us as well) would ever witness. Does that not deserve to be discussed?
As mentioned many times, as long as he is teeing it up at the first tee on Thursday and putting it for the final round on Sunday, people will eat it up...because there is always questions and doubts surrounding him (is he back? Will he win? How is his new swing? Will he break has record?) The writing is on the wall that people love Tiger. Look at the crowds and the ratings.... He was not around for most of this season so the media from TV down to the beat writers need to make up for lost revenue/opportunities.... And for us Tiger fans it's awesome.

I'm curious to hear which other story lines you would like to hear about? They talked about Rory and how he is well on his way to being the 6th or 7th player ever to win back-to-back majors, talked about Dustin Johnson and his drug issues, talked about Bubba and being a jerk for not Hitting driver, and they Also talked about Rickie and his new found playability with Butch.... What other stories are there which are really worth mentioning?
I also think that Tiger is getting a ton of coverage because it was at this course 14 years ago when Tiger defeated Bob May in one of the most spectacular showings of golf I think I (and many of us as well) would ever witness. Does that not deserve to be discussed?
As mentioned many times, as long as he is teeing it up at the first tee on Thursday and putting it for the final round on Sunday, people will eat it up...because there is always questions and doubts surrounding him (is he back? Will he win? How is his new swing? Will he break has record?) The writing is on the wall that people love Tiger. Look at the crowds and the ratings.... He was not around for most of this season so the media from TV down to the beat writers need to make up for lost revenue/opportunities.... And for us Tiger fans it's awesome.

The coverage yesterday that I watched was about 3 hours. I would venture to guess 2 hours and 20 minutes of it were on Tiger Woods. They interupted Tom Watson discussing Ryder Cup to show him getting out of a car.

Tiger himself would have had an issue with that. It is overkill. This is not a love hate thing that fans seem to want to bring out every time someone dismisses something. Spending 12 minutes total on the Dustin Johnson case and suspension, 9 minutes on Rickie Fowler and 14 minutes on Rory and then 2 hours + on Tiger is absolutely absurd.

There is a reason that casual fans have tuned out.

Nothing like a good keyboard battle, the PGA and my coffee.

Jesus, if you don't like the coverage, call the GC and complain. And if you think there aren't other story lines, you're delusional. The GC, NBC, cbs will always follow TW. That is a stone fact and beotch'n about it gets old. As does calling people that don't like it, Haters. And to be ok with just tiger woods tv is just as silly.
We have Sergio in position to maybe make a run. Rory to step on the throats of the tour, Ryder cup picks, PGA pros that got in. Lots of stories but GC chooses to follow tiger. It like breathing for them.

Tiger is on his way to the range

The coverage yesterday that I watched was about 3 hours. I would venture to guess 2 hours and 20 minutes of it were on Tiger Woods. They interupted Tom Watson discussing Ryder Cup to show him getting out of a car.

Tiger himself would have had an issue with that. It is overkill. This is not a love hate thing that fans seem to want to bring out every time someone dismisses something. Spending 12 minutes total on the Dustin Johnson case and suspension, 9 minutes on Rickie Fowler and 14 minutes on Rory and then 2 hours + on Tiger is absolutely absurd.

There is a reason that casual fans have tuned out.

I heard but didn't see what happened to Tom Watson. That I definitely agree is overkill.... The Ryder Cup is a huge deal and lots of people have been wondering on the Co-captain picks.

I will admit I saw a replay before of Bubba interrupting the announcers saying "Tiger is here" and the look on the announcers faces was like "yes something to talk about for days!"

Casual fans will come and go unfortunately. Do I wish as a hard-core follower of the tour and player there were more casual fans? I sure do for the sake of the game. However for now I don't think things are going to change anytime soon....

I think people generally exaggerate just how much coverage Tiger gets, but GC's coverage yesterday was very, very, very heavy on Tiger. On one hand, you have to think that this could show just how important he is to the game. On the other hand, there are some other great stories out there worth exploring.

I think people generally exaggerate just how much coverage Tiger gets, but GC's coverage yesterday was very, very, very heavy on Tiger. On one hand, you have to think that this could show just how important he is to the game. On the other hand, there are some other great stories out there worth exploring.

This morning's coverage has been just as bad....hell, if the man went to the restroom they may have a camera in there on him too. {Insert Faherty or McCord voice: I believe he is selecting the middle stall guys.....}

Nothing like a good keyboard battle, the PGA and my coffee.

Jesus, if you don't like the coverage, call the GC and complain. And if you think there aren't other story lines, you're delusional. The GC, NBC, cbs will always follow TW. That is a stone fact and beotch'n about it gets old. As does calling people that don't like it, Haters. And to be ok with just tiger woods tv is just as silly.
We have Sergio in position to maybe make a run. Rory to step on the throats of the tour, Ryder cup picks, PGA pros that got in. Lots of stories but GC chooses to follow tiger. It like breathing for them.

The GC has a twitter handle for them dedicated to Tiger for crying out loud. But I think it says what the avg user is watching

I just walked through AADE, a huge diabetes conference and three of the big booths had the TW converge on their large format screens. The average person really likes to follow this guy. The show was not open so it was just staff and security watching but the conversation I over heard were funny.

+1 through 3

Off and running

I just walked through AADE, a huge diabetes conference and three of the big booths had the TW converge on their large format screens. The average person really likes to follow this guy. The show was not open so it was just staff and security watching but the conversation I over heard were funny.

See this I agree with.
It is their choice and not considered "news".
But could you imagine sitting down to watch SportsCenter on ESPN and they decided that the only thing they would show or discuss is the Yankees? I mean they are a favorite, biggest in the sport, etc.

What Tiger has done for the game of golf can not be overstated. The guy elevated the sport to where every tom and joe and even women golfers were flocking to the stores to buy tiger gear and get on the course.

The guy basically built Nike golf equipment. For example, who here is buying sasquatch irons if Tiger is not wearing the swoosh? Answer. nobody.

The guy is a champion and his prime years are better than any years Rory will have.

Back