The Putting Challenge

Will you keep this putter for a while yet? I am curious to see how it works out on dry, quick summer greens. A heavy putter is very stable, but I wonder if it could be tricky when the Stimp climbs. This could also be your solution to leaving a few short...just wait for the weather to change :)
I'm planning to, because I'm seeing the positives at least on the slower greens I've played thus far. I agree with you, I am curious about that as well. There are a couple greens on my home course where if you're on the wrong side and above the hole, the ball won't stop until it either goes in the hole or off the green. I also plan to take it out to the local private the next time I can get on, because those greens are REALLY tough - fast with lots of crowning and false fronts.

That said, the greens at Bella Vista on Sunday were pretty quick and it certainly wasn't like I was blowing everything by, so I'm optimistic.

Every time I think I figure something out I can’t seem to repeat the next round. Had 37 putts yesterday with 4 3putts. The short putts continue to frustrate me. I will miss a 3ft putt and blow it 6ft past. I can’t seem to control distance on those short ones. I do seem to make 2-3 15-20 ft putts every round which is something I didn’t do before.

Exactly 36 putts today. Considering the weather and slop didn't allow for any great approaches I am quite impressed. one dreaded 3 putt, but it came when I was half knocked off the ball by a gust of wind. One 30 some foot bomb. This thing has made 4' and under automatic.......... Yips used to kill my score. This has killed the yips. Seriously. It is now my putter. Not one I am reviewing, one that will be in the bag because it is that damn good.

Exactly 36 putts today. Considering the weather and slop didn't allow for any great approaches I am quite impressed. one dreaded 3 putt, but it came when I was half knocked off the ball by a gust of wind. One 30 some foot bomb. This thing has made 4' and under automatic.......... Yips used to kill my score. This has killed the yips. Seriously. It is now my putter. Not one I am reviewing, one that will be in the bag because it is that damn good.
Man I’m jealous. I feel like it’s given me the yips! Not that I wouldn’t miss those 4’ putts before but now I’m almost scared of them.

Man I’m jealous. I feel like it’s given me the yips! Not that I wouldn’t miss those 4’ putts before but now I’m almost scared of them.
That is unfortunate. The entire putting system works for me, taking much of the instruction that comes with the Lean Lock even help my putting with a standard putter, but I'd still. Miss the clean up putts.

That's tough man. Is it just because you aren't comfortable with the speed?

Not as good as Tuesday for today, but still not too bad. Pretty close to level on strokes gained vs 10hcp (-0.34), 32 putts today, 15 on the front, 17 on the back. A little deceptive because I putted 4 or 5 times from the fairway though, but overall it worked out nicely.

Only missed 2 inside of 6 feet, which isn't terrible though disappointing, BUT I didn't make a single thing in the 6-15 foot range, though I was scaring the hole several times. Lines were generally very close though, so not too bad. Also dropped a ~25 footer for bird which was cool!

Speed was generally good and got the ball past the hole 71% of the time, but they just weren't dropping and there were a couple times I blow it too far by and had a knee knocker coming back.

Overall generally still getting along with the Lean Lock, but I do need to brush up on the shorter ones a bit before my next time out.

That's tough man. Is it just because you aren't comfortable with the speed?
Yeah. I really seem to have trouble lining up shorter putts right and then when I miss them I blow it 4-6ft past. I can’t seem to figure out how to take the pace off of those short ones.

I had a poor round putting. It was me not the putter. Just NO concentration. Got to the course at the last second due to traffic. Greens were fastest of the year. My pace wasn't bad, but I just wasn't getting the line on the first three holes. Settled down and was back to 2 putting, but for a 9 hole leauge that's too little, too late. Still liking the putter. It was me, not it. Still very confident in the Lean Lock.

Another round in the books last night. The greens were really rolling well and fast. Early in the round I had my typical issue of blowing putts 6ft by the hole, had 3 3putt bogeys, missed a few of those 3-6ft putts that just give me fits and as usual made 2 longish 15-25ft. The next round that I remember to wear my Shotscope will be 10 rounds with the LeanLock and I will post some more data then. I think there are some real positives to this method of putting if you can make the adjustments. I am just having such a hard time adjusting. I think I might read the book and watch the videos again soon and see if I can pick up on something I"m not doing right.

Yesterday. Greens had just been rolled. Two 3 putts, but one was an uphill putt that stopped 1' past the hole, then rolled all the way back down to 7' further than the origonal putt was. Without the Lean Lock I am certain I would have had more putts.

Last edited:
Not a bad round for me yesterday with the Lean Lock, but nothing to write home about. 32 putts again, but had 2 really dumb 3 putts because of leaving the first one short again, and I missed 2 short ones which stung. The course did roll the greens since my last outing, which changed the game a bit and got me a little tentative. Hopefully I can adjust coming up here. I did make a few putts in the 10-15 foot range though, including one for bird and one to save a bogey after a messy hole.

Generally I feel like even on these iffy rounds, I'm averaging less putts than I would have in the past, but I need to crunch the data again and see what the numbers are really telling me in ShotScope. I'll try to run them tonight for your data nerding pleasure.

Yesterday. Greens had just been rolled. Two 3 putts, but one was an uphill putt that stopped 1' past the hole, then rolled all the way back down to 7' further than the origonal putt was. Without the Lean Lock I am certain I would have had more putts.
Sympathize big time on this. My course put a pin basically on a false front. I had hit a wedge to inside 5', but it was a sidehiller and was basically impossible. I had to throw it 3' above the hole and try to leak it back down the hill into the hole. I was fortunate that it stopped 4' below the hole and I was able to make par, but had a 2-man scramble Saturday where we had a similar sidehiller from about 10' - threw it 5' above the hole and it rolled all the way off the green which is about 30'.

I'm questioning whether it's even a legal pin lol

It says something when every time I think of putting an M-Craft or Scotty in the bag, I decide not to because I want to make everything 6' and under, and only with the Lean Lock am I sure I can.

It says something when every time I think of putting an M-Craft or Scotty in the bag, I decide not to because I want to make everything 6' and under, and only with the Lean Lock am I sure I can.
man I wish I had that feeling. While the shotscope numbers do show an improvement in that distance it still scares the heck out of me and now when I miss those 3-6 ft putts I don't just leave them within inches, I blow them 3-6ft by on the other side of the hole.
1713802212323.png

I am similar but I will say, having never been fit for a putter before, I always wonder where that would put me, as I wasn't "fit" for this one either. I've noticed I have an eye line misalignment - when I line up the line on the ball with my target, it looks a degree or two right of where it looks when I stand over the ball. I'm working with it now that I know about it, but I wonder if a fitting would teach me something there.

I used to be a quite acceptable putter. Then I turned 50. Then 60 and the yips. Then my back started giving me issues. The whole Lean Lock system just works for me. I will say, if I could put a soft OMOI head on this shaft it would be absolutely perfect.

Have any of you guys tried using it with a split grip like a hockey stick? I noticed a few times on a 3putt when I would just walk over and not take any real effort just knocking that last putt a few feet that it felt kind of natural. Once I get 10 rounds of Shotscope data I’m going to try doing it that way for a full round. I know it’s not the whole leanlock method but I’ve messed around with it a few times like that and am really encouraged

Haven't tried it, but if it works for you that's great.

I think the trick to the full LeanLock method is to achieve that 'natural' feel of comfort, lack of tension and confidence in the suggested setup.

The part I struggle with the most is the pop or hit into the ball. That's the part that I can't apply consistently, messing with my transition from back stroke to forward stroke, leading to trouble with distance control, and occasionally pulls and pushes.

So I've tried to remove that, and focus on length and smoothness of stroke only. I've had some very good putting days with the LeanLock, but the consistency isn't there (yet).

Back