The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter imo. Worth the cash not to have the pressure to play. It's the perfect time. Going to sting, but I'm going to do the same.

Winter imo. Worth the cash not to have the pressure to play. It's the perfect time. Going to sting, but I'm going to do the same.

yeah thats how im leaning, I dont want to spend the spring working on things I could have done months before that.

And since a move to somewhere warm doesnt appear to be happening, thats about my only option

yeah thats how im leaning, I dont want to spend the spring working on things I could have done months before that.

And since a move to somewhere warm doesnt appear to be happening, thats about my only option

It worked out well for me this year. I practiced what felt like non-stop over the winter and this has easily been my best year. The difference from this season to last is huge. Still have work to go, but I'm just waiting for the season to wind down first.

It worked out well for me this year. I practiced what felt like non-stop over the winter and this has easily been my best year. The difference from this season to last is huge. Still have work to go, but I'm just waiting for the season to wind down first.

Yeah you have definitely made some huge strides. I know theres quite a few things that need tweaked to help me with driver and irons which is going to take some time.

And lord knows on my crappy short game what will happen, hopefully I find someone that is a miracle worker

You should get a net dude. It's not perfect, but if you use it for drills/practice and are taking lessons regularly to make sure you're not messing anything up it could help you out.

You should get a net dude. It's not perfect, but if you use it for drills/practice and are taking lessons regularly to make sure you're not messing anything up it could help you out.

Yeah might not be a bad idea, gotta lock down a house first and then see what my options are

Definitely Winter. You will be ready for the season out of the gate. Also, I love the solitude of winter work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had a really good range session this afternoon.

Had a few battles between irons and wedges, and this is how it went;

J40 DPCs vs 588 TT/MT irons; I had been wanting to put these two head to head for a while now, and today was the day. Started out hitting the DPCs and was quickly reminded why I loved them for so long. Then I put them head to head, and was quickly reminded that while I love the DPCs, the TT/MT irons are game changers for me. Higher, longer, straighter. Winner.

Scors vs 588 RTX; For some reason after Myrtle, I decided to go back to the Scor wedges, thinking that the round I played post MC and struggled with the 588s were the wedges fault, when in reality it has more to do with the soggy nasty conditions than the club. The 588s can do things that the Scors cant, without a doubt. 588s win, hands down.

Mashie F3/5/7 back in the bag, and I am fool for ever taking them out.

LOL. Dude, you sound just like me after the Morgan Cup. I kept taking things out of the bag that worked or tried to take things out, only to find no real reason to bother.

LOL. Dude, you sound just like me after the Morgan Cup. I kept taking things out of the bag that worked or tried to take things out, only to find no real reason to bother.
I need less options in my hoard, then I cant have this problem.

"Hey, havent hit that in a while, let me game it...."

I have no clue what that's like.

I have no clue what that's like.
Now, all I can think about is going back to a 60*.

Wonder where that crazy idea came from...?

Ha!

Aside from reviews, I haven't played on in 3+ years.

Gotta work on my Flopjack.

Can anyone give me some tips for green side bunkers.

My issue is when I swing through it, it's barely popping out the bunker and if I were to hit it to hard then I would most likely skin it-__-

I just know I need to follow through in my swing.

My issue is when I swing through it, it's barely popping out the bunker and if I were to hit it to hard then I would most likely skin it-__-

Best advice for greenside bunkers is to pick a spot about 2" behind the ball and just hit that area. You want to accelerate through the shot, but you don't necessarily want to swing hard.

There are dozens of other "tips" for getting out of bunkers, but those two are the best that I have found, and that's typically my focus for most bunker shots.

I had a really nice range session this afternoon. Focused on two swing thoughts only and tried not to overswing at anything. Contact was really solid, and for the most part I was putting the ball where I wanted.

I did a little "play the course" on the range, and I found it is a great way to stay focused on your shot and to not fall into the trap of just "hitting balls." I'm going to keep working on that in the future. When I missed a shot, I hit another ball or two just to focus on the swing or the particular miss. But, I did not dwell on a particular shot, and I tried not to hit the same club more than twice during the range session (after warming up).

The putting green was a little chewed up today. (Not sure what the issue was.) The greens keeper was also being a jerk -- again -- and placing pins in weird spots. Holed putts were tough to come by, but the alignment, set up and stroke all felt good. I made a bunch of putts earlier in the week during a scramble, and a lot of those feelings carried over into today. Hopefully, I can keep that working as well.

The course was packed today, so I decided to get an extended range session in and try to solve a dilemma I was having. I've been considering disassembling my old driver, a Cleveland Launcher Comp, and putting a MyFly adapter on the shaft (an Aldila NV 65) to use on my Amp Cell. I was worried, though, given my recent power outage with my driver, that I was going to burn the bridge back to my old driver by doing this. So I decided to work on grooving my driver swing and see which one offers better performance; my Amp Cell with the stock shaft, or my Cleveland with the Aldila. Switching drivers every third shot, roughly.

Turns out my great shots with the Cleveland are simply amazing. Long baby fades or dead straight with a great penetrating ball flight. My decent shots fade a little more and I lose some distance. My bad shots were terrible slices that wind up in Mexico.

I have too many bad shots with this driver. The head is just not terribly forgiving, even when I really try to back off my swing. Anything not dead-center on the club face is very unpredictable. Don't get me wrong, it still has a deep face and a huge sweet spot. It's just not forgiving enough for me. There's no "Poke it out there" incentive, as even pretty easy swings can slice if I don't put it on the sweet spot.

The Amp Cell's great shots are high and fade just slightly with great carry and not a lot of roll. Not as far as the Cleveland, but I think that may have been due to the different lofts (I left my wrench at home, so the Amp Cell stayed at 10.5, whereas the Launcher is 9.5). There was not a huge difference between decent and bad shots. A bit too much ballooning, a bit more fade, a bit less distance. Swing intensity produces preferred results, so if I really need a draw and I'm willing to lose a little bit of distance, I can dial it back and hit a shorter drive or a draw but still keep it in play.

So, after several dozen driver swings, I got much more comfortable hitting up on the ball, did some drills to try and improve my swing path, and I feel like putting that Aldila in the Amp Cell, while not magically making me the next John Daly, will let me combine the Cobra's forgiveness with the NV's kick point that seems much more suited to my swing. Looking forward to trying it out. Also need to remember to bring the wrench next time and experiment with the 9.5* setting on the Cobra.

Frustrating day yesterday at the range. I am happier with how I hit my clubs from 7i to LW. Driver needs work but is coming along nicely. However, 3h to 6i, they are nothing but slicing machines. So frustrated right now.

Well I'm new to golf and have been working on my swing. I have been having trouble with my long irons/drivers and today everything just clicked. I was able to hit my 5 iron, 4 hybrid, 3 iron and 3 wood. Made me wish I brought my driver with me.

Went to the practice green with the new putter and that went well. A little scary because this place has the slowest greens in the world, but it's convenient.

Hit some balls into the net, primarily for a review. Swing felt good and contact was good, but that's about all I could tell from that.

On my stupid long drive home I had some reflection time.

This year was all about the MC, plain and simple...doing what I can to be able to go down there to perform at a high level (for me).

Next year, I want it to be about that again (or other events), but also really want to focus on improving my game. Sure this year Ive gone to the range more than like 10 years combined, but I dont necessarily feel like Im getting better. A month before the MC I went to a guy who was trying to change my swing for the good, I just couldnt work on those kind of changes and be able to hit a ball in Myrtle, so I pretty much ended up disregarding just about everything (with the exception of the takeaway).

So heres where I stand and see my options:

1. Golftec-The ONLY problem I have with them is having to pony up the whole cost of the package upfront, Ive yet to find one that is flexible like some have encountered. Id do this over the winter and hit the ground running come spring.

or

2. Wait til Spring, find a local guy and get working outdoors on my game in hopes of making the changes quick enough that I can enjoy the summer golf.

While the THP events have been great in 2013, outside of that I havent really enjoyed golf as much because of the way I have played.

Thoughts?

Mike, there is a place called Windmill Golf Center (http://www.windmillgolfcenter.com/): It's on route 82 just off 271 N; I think it shouls be fairly close to your work. The guy who owns Windmill Lakes in Ravenna (Herb Page - also Kent State's golf coach) opened this up last year. I know they had deals for lessons, etc. It might be worth looking into. The pros there seemed very nice. Hope this helps!

Check out Andrew Rice's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaeqI_tfd8

Also, if you can find Gary Player doing sand shots: I like his phrase "Strike the match!" Setting the hands early, coming through with speed & following similar to how Andrew is showing. Hope this helps! I'm getting better, but need a TON of practice here. I'm thinking of getting a kiddie pool so I can fill it with sand to work on this at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back