The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent quite a bit of time yesterday morning dialing in the SLDR 15*. Finally settled on 14* as that gave me the launch off the deck and tee that I wanted.
I'm really digging that club.

Glad to hear this Matthew. It sounds like this club is working for you.

Short but solid range session today. Hope it translates to the course tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morgan Cup prep starts tonight. Lots of goals to reach over the next 8 months, but it's going to be a gradual thing.

Started with an honest assessment of my game. That's always fun :\ I'm just going to trash myself a bit to get it out there.

I struggle taking my range swing to the course and I think that's because it's still relying pretty much solely on timing and my hand/eye coordination. Still. Either of those leave me and I'm pretty much garbage. They leave me quickly with any inkling of pressure, whether it's hitting balls among other people or playing in a round, though I can eventually find them. If they are working for me, maybe 50% garbage. Either way, it's no way to swing.

I have my good days, but I'd like to have a lot more good days and have the bad ones be less bad. Consistency, even a little of it would be great.

I'm a dirty flipper and it's got to stop. Even if I'm not flipping terribly on a given day or for weeks at a time, I'm not coming down into the ball enough. Ever. It causes a number of bad things. I pretty much have to be perfect to get my desired ball speeds, rotten launch conditions that require pretty specific equipment combos, longer irons that all go the same distance, inconsistent contact, etc, etc. Could really go on forever. It's not every time, but it's too often.

I need to start getting out of my comfort zone.

I don't really care which way the ball turns when I'm done. I'd just like to have a swing that consitently hits the ball with easy power.

I have no width to my swing. I need to get more vertical as well.

I sway like a rope bridge.

I'd prefer my head and right shoulder didn't lead my downswing for once.

I'd really like to take a divot.

I know the basic things I want to do and the way that certain things should feel, but I think I'm struggling at the very first part of my swing and then I have no other choice than to make a bunch of compensations just to get to the ball. By then my plane is off and who knows what the face is going to do. I can get to the inside, so that's a start.

Been reading a little to help formulate a plan and what I'd like to do is start from the beginning and work from there slowly. Super slowly. Moved a big mirror into the hitting studio (aka garage) and first thing will be grip, posture, and takeaway. Plan is to just do those things over and over again for a couple weeks. Then move to the top of the backswing and so on.

Ideally, I'll be able to work most of this out over the next three months without actual golf getting in the way. Lessons are on the table, but I may need a fresh set of eyes and I'm not sure where to turn to there.

Good things about the game are a solid wedge game and solid putting. I think I could actually do something worthwhile on the course if I combined those two things with a few things on my list of goals.

Had good intentions this morning... The snow and cold weather derailed my plans of hitting golftec for a practice session.. Maybe some late night t.v. Room putting if the wife and kids allow it..

Going to work today! CLEAR THE HIPS! CLEAR THE DAMN HIPS! Start the downswing with my lower body, that is the move to ingrain.

Sheesh Ryan, don't be so hard on yourself! (I like your plan of stealing with the fundamentals and takeaway first)

Going to work today! CLEAR THE HIPS! CLEAR THE DAMN HIPS! Start the downswing with my lower body, that is the move to ingrain.

First thing my coach is trying to get me to do

Sheesh Ryan, don't be so hard on yourself! (I like your plan of stealing with the fundamentals and takeaway first)

LOL. I needed to do it. I can get around a golf course and put up a good score on the right day, but I'm not happy with my ball striking. If I could learn to do that I think my short game and course management would make me a pretty good player.

Started it last night. Super exciting stuff with 30 minutes working on grip, posture, and takeaway to the point the club was parallel to the ground. I had the plane finder device out, as well as a mirror. After that I just lightly worked on the coil without swaying and then hit some balls. An hour in total. Hit some decent shots afterwards, but nothing ground breaking. Feels pretty stiff and mechanical at the moment, as should be expected.

I use the wall drill for the bum and hips a lot . Top of the backswing the right cheek should touch the wall with the left off. Starting downswing the left cheek meets up against the wall... ( for right handed golfer). My girlfriend looks at me crazy but it's definitely helping me, plus I can do it anywhere.

Gonna hit the range tonight after work. Gotta figure out if I can remember how to hit a golf ball again. My last two experiences have not been pretty.

LOL. I needed to do it. I can get around a golf course and put up a good score on the right day, but I'm not happy with my ball striking. If I could learn to do that I think my short game and course management would make me a pretty good player.

Started it last night. Super exciting stuff with 30 minutes working on grip, posture, and takeaway to the point the club was parallel to the ground. I had the plane finder device out, as well as a mirror. After that I just lightly worked on the coil without swaying and then hit some balls. An hour in total. Hit some decent shots afterwards, but nothing ground breaking. Feels pretty stiff and mechanical at the moment, as should be expected.

My captain doing work.

I need to get out soon for a big range session. Like, 150 balls or more. Haven't swung in the past 2 weeks at all due to being out of town, and I need to get back on the horse after having a pretty distressing round my last time out. Maybe the break will have been good to clear my head though, I was pretty down on myself after that. Nevertheless, I need to get some lengthier range sessions under the belt now to ingrain these swing changes I've been working on over the last 1.5 months or so. They're starting to take hold but I'm still having some issues, and really hitting some stinkers when I don't focus.

Never too early!

Hell no dude. I'm already firmly in the thick of it myself.

Got goals I plan on achieving!

Hell no dude. I'm already firmly in the thick of it myself.

Got goals I plan on achieving!

Agreed. I picked up a little hand injury so I havent been to the range but I am putting in my basement every single night. Even if it helps a little bit, its better than nothing.

I love seeing all the MC prep! I am going to go back to the basics after this little golf hangover wears off. Work on starting the downswing with my right knee. Took some dry swings in the apt last night and its like night and day different of getting your club in the slot

It's all good, buddy.

Part of my response is that I've been reflecting on some things you touch on. Not swing stuff, but bigger picture stuff - Why do we keep making the same mistakes? Why don't we reach levels we think we should? By any measurable, I've clearly improved my ball striking over the past couple of years. Am I where I think I should be? Not even close. Why can't I do it more right more often more consistently? You'd think that after all this work something simple like "don't take the club back inside" (or one of yours in the list) just wouldn't be part of the ol' repertoire, you know? I've been wondering if us hackers are destined to always have some of that in our DNA and if our better case scenario is to just manage it. If so, maybe we should have more compassion for ourselves instead of teeth gnashing.

True enough!

I think in the big picture, if I look back two years there's a huge difference. I mean huge! I'm just always playing with better players and it's frustrating to see where they are vs where I am. My only goal at pretty much everything is to just keep getting better. I think it's hard to look at where we are and accept it as good, no matter how much improvement there may have been, when it's such an imperfect an ugly game. I'm sure the same guys I'm looking at jealously are sitting there complaining about whatever it is that they are lacking.

That being said, time is an issue. A huge one. Given the amount of time I had this year, it was a good year. Probably better than it should have been. It wasn't always (or ever) pretty though. I'd like to have a more boring golf game. And I'd like to take a divot. Really want to take a divot lol.

Hopefully I'll get back to the simulator this weekend after a 6 week hiatus building the new nursery for the boy that's expected to show up in February! In those 6 weeks I have managed to put on about 15-20 lbs of lower body and core muscle without losing any flexibility so I'm very interested to see if this will give me any more speed and or control when I get back to it. Only about 4 more months to go until the grass shows up again (groan) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True enough!

I think in the big picture, if I look back two years there's a huge difference. I mean huge! I'm just always playing with better players and it's frustrating to see where they are vs where I am. My only goal at pretty much everything is to just keep getting better. I think it's hard to look at where we are and accept it as good, no matter how much improvement there may have been, when it's such an imperfect an ugly game. I'm sure the same guys I'm looking at jealously are sitting there complaining about whatever it is that they are lacking.

That being said, time is an issue. A huge one. Given the amount of time I had this year, it was a good year. Probably better than it should have been. It wasn't always (or ever) pretty though. I'd like to have a more boring golf game. And I'd like to take a divot. Really want to take a divot lol.

Love me some divots.

Love me some divots.

Eventual goal is to take one with the driver and then I will try to dial it back.

Not really, but sort of.

Eventual goal is to take one with the driver and then I will try to dial it back.

Not really, but sort of.

Sadly, I can be quite skilled at driver divots from time to time. Yesterday working on starting the downswing with my lower body was one of those days. :banghead:

Had a great putting round yesterday. 0 3 putts, and 7 1 putts. Just wish the 3 double bogeys I had on the card weren't there or else that could have been a heck of a score on a tough course in windy conditions.

Amazing what greens that are fast and true do for your confidence and putting.

LOL. Booo.

No doubt. Making changes to ingrained habits is a bear in this game we love but loathe. Ugh. Wish I could just instantly reprogram myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back