The Youth Sports Coaching Thread

The girls on my team are all in HS so I’ve got 3 months off. I thought I would love the break. I’m going stir crazy. I am also having a surprisingly hard time shutting off my “coach brain.” I am doing it but just being dad is proving a lot harder than I expected.

Be better for your players! Stop chasing $5 rings to feed your childhood issues.

First tournament of the season this past weekend. Starting pitcher threw 122 pitches at 13U. Sickening.

Be better for your players! Stop chasing $5 rings to feed your childhood issues.

First tournament of the season this past weekend. Starting pitcher threw 122 pitches at 13U. Sickening.

Funny you bring that up. We ran into a similar issue last weekend. It's actually not that common where my 13U boy plays most of his tournaments (IA). They track pitchers very closely there. However, there is one TD that doesn't track. I hate the idea of tattling, but I have seriously considered dropping a note to USSSA about it.

Funny you bring that up. We ran into a similar issue last weekend. It's actually not that common where my 13U boy plays most of his tournaments (IA). They track pitchers very closely there. However, there is one TD that doesn't track. I hate the idea of tattling, but I have seriously considered dropping a note to USSSA about it.
Pitch limit for us at 13U is 100. I told my coaches and parents that there is no baseball game that would make me consider going over that. I don’t like getting to 85+ this early in the season.

Player safety issues should be reported, IMO.

Pitch limit for us at 13U is 100. I told my coaches and parents that there is no baseball game that would make me consider going over that. I don’t like getting to 85+ this early in the season.
Good for you. I've lost 2 pitchers to torn labrums in the past couple of seasons, and that is with us doing a lot of arm care and watching usage patterns and pitch counts (there are not actual pitch count rules in softball but we watch it). It is devastating to a kid that age to have a serious injury. Often a big part of their identity is tied to the sport and pitching. Then it is gone. The normal advice I've seen with labrums is to do rehab. That goes on for months and probably needs to continue for life - and hasn't really worked for my girls. Or they have surgery in which case they are out for @6 months and are in a sling, which impacts their ability to function at school, etc. Anyway, the point is - an arm or shoulder injury isn't trivial. I know you know this...just sharing some context for why I feel strongly about it.

Good for you. I've lost 2 pitchers to torn labrums in the past couple of seasons, and that is with us doing a lot of arm care and watching usage patterns and pitch counts (there are not actual pitch count rules in softball but we watch it). It is devastating to a kid that age to have a serious injury. Often a big part of their identity is tied to the sport and pitching. Then it is gone. The normal advice I've seen with labrums is to do rehab. That goes on for months and probably needs to continue for life - and hasn't really worked for my girls. Or they have surgery in which case they are out for @6 months and are in a sling, which impacts their ability to function at school, etc. Anyway, the point is - an arm or shoulder injury isn't trivial. I know you know this...just sharing some context for why I feel strongly about it.
I shattered my arm in boxing match when I was growing up. Changed me from being left handed to right handed in like 75% of the stuff I do. The amount of damage you can do in youth sports that live with you for the rest of your life is real.

Head coach of 24 years (I've been coaching with him for the last 12) is leaving to a bigger school. Trying to figure out what's next is a little stressful, especially with my son going into his junior season.

Head coach of 24 years (I've been coaching with him for the last 12) is leaving to a bigger school. Trying to figure out what's next is a little stressful, especially with my son going into his junior season.
What sport?
Have you given any thought to taking over?

When our head coach leaves, I'm either going with him or retiring. He's way too young to retire, but my kid graduates this year and I can already tell my heart is not in the same place for next season.

First night of U10 soccer practice. A little chaotic but the kids had fun. After years of coaching high school, love the lack of stress this age offers!

I lost 3 key players off a 12 person roster in the past 7 weeks. 2 injuries and one crazy dad. Tryout season is long behind us. It’s going to be close as to whether or not my team survives or folds.

What sport?
Have you given any thought to taking over?

Football, I don't really have the head football coach personality.

When our head coach leaves, I'm either going with him or retiring. He's way too young to retire, but my kid graduates this year and I can already tell my heart is not in the same place for next season.

Yeah, I'm done when my son graduates. That's part of the problem, my buddy, who will be a great head coach is in the same boat and his son is the same age. He doesn't want to take it and then leave in 2 years. Ideally we can find a young guy that knows offense (we're both defensive guys) and wants to get experience for a couple years and then take over. Probably a pipe dream for a small Montana high school though.

I will never get used to how some adults act in youth baseball. Maybe it’s because I’m closer to them than in football but the things I hear and the behavior I see out of parents is just so toxic. I wasn’t even coaching today either. Whatever, I’m proud of my son. He guest played on a tournament team and went 3-5 with a walk over two games and worked his ass off behind the plate. On to tomorrow

I will never get used to how some adults act in youth baseball. Maybe it’s because I’m closer to them than in football but the things I hear and the behavior I see out of parents is just so toxic. I wasn’t even coaching today either. Whatever, I’m proud of my son. He guest played on a tournament team and went 3-5 with a walk over two games and worked his ass off behind the plate. On to tomorrow
A parent left my team because I wouldn’t give him a key to the HS hitting barn. Never mind that the HS coach (his daughter’s coach) and the school district said No, and I was merely following the rules. Okay, that’s petty and stupid but people come and go. Whatever.

But the guy is now attacking me on social media and spreading rumors about me in the softball community and that’s hurting my team. Okay, that’s a Richard move and it ticks me off but I’m taking the high road and trying to ignore him.

Then the guy buys domain name variations of my daughter’s name and tries to resell them to me for use by her in college recruiting. He hasn’t done that with others on the team, just me. Super pissed that he’s involved my daughter but still taking the high road.

So yeah, adults / parents can really truly suck ass. Tell me again why I coach?

A parent left my team because I wouldn’t give him a key to the HS hitting barn. Never mind that the HS coach (his daughter’s coach) and the school district said No, and I was merely following the rules. Okay, that’s petty and stupid but people come and go. Whatever.

But the guy is now attacking me on social media and spreading rumors about me in the softball community and that’s hurting my team. Okay, that’s a Richard move and it ticks me off but I’m taking the high road and trying to ignore him.

Then the guy buys domain name variations of my daughter’s name and tries to resell them to me for use by her in college recruiting. He hasn’t done that with others on the team, just me. Super pissed that he’s involved my daughter but still taking the high road.

It’s for the big bucks they pay you, right?!?
Sorry you are dealing with that.

That’s as petty as it gets damn

I'm not coaching a team this year, but between softball and baseball we are in a six day a week situation right now :ROFLMAO: Working with the kids in my off time as well. It's a lot.

Anyway, I wanted to brag about the boy a little. He worked all winter with batting and pitching instructors and is just killing right now. His bat is absolutely electric and he's making it look easy putting balls over 285 foot fences at 13. It feels like every time he's at bat something awesome is going to happen. Developed a great 2 seam fastball that has sink and run that he can couple with a sink/run change or slurvy breaking ball. Last full year of travel ball before he plays freshman baseball. Trying to enjoy every minute of it. His team kind of stinks, but they are tight.

I'm not coaching a team this year, but between softball and baseball we are in a six day a week situation right now :ROFLMAO: Working with the kids in my off time as well. It's a lot.

Anyway, I wanted to brag about the boy a little. He worked all winter with batting and pitching instructors and is just killing right now. His bat is absolutely electric and he's making it look easy putting balls over 285 foot fences at 13. It feels like every time he's at bat something awesome is going to happen. Developed a great 2 seam fastball that has sink and run that he can couple with a sink/run change or slurvy breaking ball. Last full year of travel ball before he plays freshman baseball. Trying to enjoy every minute of it. His team kind of stinks, but they are tight.
That's awesome! It's fun when you see the work and effort pay off! Both from a performance standpoint, but more so from the confidence kids get, and the smiles!

Dang, as a fellow youth coach, just want to say thanks for continuing to coach. It's not glamorous, high paying, or easy, but it's worth it. Always sad that a few people can ruin it, but keep taking the high road. The kids that are on your team appreciate what you are doing for them, and they may not realize it now, but they will one day. That's why you coach.

What an absolute tool. You may be able to report him to the domain registrar for squatting, there are actually federal laws against this. You cannot register someone's personal name as a domain in bad faith in an attempt to sell it to them.

What an absolute tool. You may be able to report him to the domain registrar for squatting, there are actually federal laws against this. You cannot register someone's personal name as a domain in bad faith in an attempt to sell it to them.
Really appreciate that info. Thank you. He's the kind of guy that loves a fight - he has no boundaries and lives to win. If he learned I was bothered it would probably give him morning wood...then he'd escalate. At some point enough is enough and I will do something but I'm really hoping if I go silent and ignore him he will go away. That isn't working so far.

Really appreciate that info. Thank you. He's the kind of guy that loves a fight - he has no boundaries and lives to win. If he learned I was bothered it would probably give him morning wood...then he'd escalate. At some point enough is enough and I will do something but I'm really hoping if I go silent and ignore him he will go away. That isn't working so far.
I'm of the opinion that nothing goes away on it's own... I'd probably get with an attorney and explore options.

No boundaries is selling him short. He is literally in violation of the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act due to registering your daughter's personal name (and combos of) in an effort to gain monetary advantage. Who even does that???? That's beyond scumbag behavior. I am not an attorney nor do I portray one on TV, but having worked for ISPs for nearly 20 years and having dealt with all sorts of domain name registrations, issues, malicious theft, etc. you should have a solid case to present a complaint to whatever domain registrar he used.

This was my last time for the season lining the fields. Honestly, after the way this season went, I am seriously giving up all my youth coaching and coordinating responsibilities. Parents suck and it is extremely hard to get umpires and fields Set up when teams continue to cancel games because their players have way too many other activities going on. parents that think a little Johnny doesn’t have to go to the game does not understand the ramifications it has because the parents sign them up in too many activities.

during basketball season, getting cussed out by a parent, and being told that I am as a horrible person really pushed me over the edge. I was giving baseball and softball another chance, but it’s just the same old **** different day.
IMG_1488.jpeg

Back