#TheGrandaddy Recap Thread & Special Announcement

Man this place sounds like heaven, love when resorts go out of their way to make you feel at home. Oh and the comfort stations every few holes is cool too if you are into that stuff :) Sounds like this Matt dude is one cool cat

I would give almost anything to have caught that on video.

For those of you that haven't met Paul, he's about 6'5" and a pretty quiet guy. However, he'll just say things out of nowhere that catch you off guard and crack you up. We are sitting there and Paul stands up and asks the room to be quiet. Fully expecting a nice thank you speech, he blows us all away instead by doing some crazy Kielwasser war chant.

First this has been awesome to read guys and I am enjoying living through your eyes. 2nd I am pretty sure Paul needs to puts this on video!!!!!!

Man this place sounds like heaven, love when resorts go out of their way to make you feel at home. Oh and the comfort stations every few holes is cool too if you are into that stuff :) Sounds like this Matt dude is one cool cat

Matt is absolutely awesome. I got to play 9 holes with him. He has some game, but he is just an all around good guy. I will touch on it in my writeup as well, but he just made us feel so at home. He really was as excited as we were. From the second we stepped on those grounds we had whatever we needed, and more then we could have ever imagined.

I am glad yall had such a great experience. Not going to lie I get more jealous with every review I read. I hope to someday be able to play a course a nice as what yall did.

One thing to point out is that this is about as far from a resort as it gets. It is very private and exclusive and one of the most interesting things is that there is no sign. Nothing. Just a gate to go through to get in and then nothing at all. You would never know something existed outside of the reputation as being one of the finest places in the country.

If I could ask the guys one question: In all of the amazing things you were able to do out there, and the comraderie you were able to form with your brothers on the Dream team and then with the Zoo crew, what was the ONE moment when it REALLY hit you how fortunate your were to have this life experience? I could be on the practice range one early morning or late night being the only one there, walking/riding up a certain hole, or seeing something special at the Callaway HQ. I'm always intrigued by those "A-HA" moments in life... so what was yours?

Thanks

This event was so large that I have THREE "Aha" moments. Two have been mentioned, though.

The first moment was standing on the putting green at the golf course across the street from our hotel in Carlsbad. I'm standing on the green with Hawk and T2GRN as the sun set over the Pacific. I told both of them that I could have flown back right after that moment and been completely thrilled to make the trip.

The second moment was at Callaway HQ during the Q&A session with Callaway's marketing and R&D staffs. Early in the session, someone mentioned that Doc Hock (Allen Hocknell) would be arriving shortly to give additional information. I immediately started thinking of the countless Callaway Talks videos with Hocknell and realizing that I was going to not only see him in person but actually get to talk to him. When I asked a question about the Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha, it took everything I had not to pull a Chris Farley and say, "That was awesome."

No disrespect to Harry, Hashtag, MVRhi and the other ZooCrew members, but I was definitely star struck when I met Hocknell in person.

Finally, when I saw this at my Hideaway locker:

u9ebu7un.jpg

It hit me that I was about to be part of an amazing, amazing, AMAZING event.

Doc Hock really had a commanding presence. It was crazy for some reason. He was intense to talk and listen to.

#TheGrandaddy Recap Thread & Special Announcement

Doc Hock really had a commanding presence. It was crazy for some reason. He was intense to talk and listen to.

But incredibly accessible. Any questions we had he gladly answered them and answered them in depth. No corporate fed answers just the honest truth. You could really tell he loves his job and loves to talk about it to anyone if they are willing to listen.

Like I said that was for sure my "Aha" moment. Or at least my first one. The theme of this trip for me really ended up being that everyone I met was extremely approachable. I did not interact with any Callaway, THP, or Hideaway member/employee that I didn't feel like I couldn't have a normal conversation with.

Arriving

Arriving at the event was different for us than it was for each person, but equally excited. We always like to see the execution and how the plans turn into reality. Checking into the hotel I was just at a few weeks felt eerily similar and then cleaning up and meeting the DreamTeam for dinner along with Ben and his wonderful wife. We had a nice private room that GG planned and dinner could be described as the calm before the storm.

We sat and ate and conversation was nice about life and everything else. Then it switched gears to what was about to unfold and the excitement level was thick. We knew what was coming, but most of the guys had no idea and it made it so much sweeter. After dinner we all shared a few drinks and made plans to meet at the shuttle to head over to the performance center the next day.

In the morning, we were waiting for ATL (theme) and then we took off. Upon arrival, it was like seeing old friends again for us, but for many, the faces quickly turned into permasmiles as the tour began. Spent some time on the range with the guys and then spent most of the time chatting with the Zoo Crew about THPers and the event. We broke for lunch and then spent some time with R & D guys chatting and being an open book. It was about this time that Harry dropped the bomb that each guy would be set up with a 14 club deal (we knew, but wouldnt give the info, not even to Hawk).

I asked a couple of questions that I thought the guys might want to hear details about but would have trouble getting them out and it was a blast. Then it was back to the range where GG beat me soundly in a putting contest as the rest of the guys got fit. At this time I was wondering what made this event so unique. The guys were there because of the gear (reason for event), but they were "there" because of the event. Its what makes THP unique despite what some say, and this is the perfect example, because nobody knew about the equipment prior to arrival.

About this time it was time to load up on the bus for a journey to what I will call the "unknown"...

More coming soon.

I'm getting nothing done today. Reading all of these...just wow. Seriously. Wow.

I'm getting nothing done today. Reading all of these...just wow. Seriously. Wow.

You see the benchmark, Sir. Get ready to run through it!

Every time I saw a photo of this immaculate facility I was drooling, the service, the food, the atmosphere, the course, the scenery, I have no doubt while on site competing it would have been breathtaking!

Fun reviews so far! This course looks and feels (from your summaries) like getting close to Heaven.

I love reading the reviews, but the even better part is that with how you all documented the week for us as it was unfolding, this reads more like a recap of an event we all attended as well. You all have hundreds of us hanging on your every word, not with jelousy, but with utter amazement of the experience and respect for those representing THP, Callaway, and The Hideaway.

Rhiona gave us a nice little shoutout on her weekly ICYMI

These recaps are incredible! You guys were phenomenal representing #THP at the Grandaddy and you guys are killing these recaps! Just spent my lunch hour reading these and I am truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

The 2014 #Dreamteam has a tough act to follow.

Great job Rhiona, lot's of stuff to run through and still had time to mention #Grandaddy!

Part 2

Wheels Up...headed for San Diego!
IMG_0962_zpsdd380cd9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

after what seemed like 2 weeks in the plane, I headed down to the luggage claim. We knew to look for our drivers, but that was something pretty new to me.
IMG_0964_zps58a33762.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I enjoyed the ride out to the hotel, my driver was so nice, it was a very enjoyable ride. Once I arrived and got checked in. I settled in my room, and Hawk and Seth were returning from going out to lunch. I met up with them in the lobby, and we had them shuttle us over to the Golf Course near bye to hit some balls, do a little putting. It was a great way to start the week. And a way for us to expel some of the pent up energy from the excitement. It's there i started to understand how awesome this was going to be. Meeting Hawk for the first time was awesome. He had the Big Bertha Alpha with him, so we were able to get a few swings in with it. My first impressions we're it's a hot face but the stock shaft offering was not going to work out so well. We moved over to the putting green and the beauty of the Pacific Coast unfolded in front of our very eyes.

After returning to the hotel, we had all planned on meeting up for dinner with Ben and Susan. A great meal, lots of laughs, and just an awesome way to kick of the week as a Team! Barry (Cpljohnst) met Seth at the airport and handed him a card for all of us. Each of us had our own little note. I was so cool, and very thoughtful for Barry to do that. After dinner, we had a beer, and it was off to bed. Of course jet lag, and time differences played a huge role here. I found my self awake at 330 am, with nothing to do. So I did a little chipping and and putting in my room. We met for breakfast and were loaded up and headed to what would be an amazing day at the ECPC!

IMG_0973_zps24a52051.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Ben And Susan

IMG_0972_zpse43b5484.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a few pics from the early morning at the hotel.
IMG_0974_zps06f56c3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0979_zpsd62b149f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0977_zps7f26bf4c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I love reading the reviews, but the even better part is that with how you all documented the week for us as it was unfolding, this reads more like a recap of an event we all attended as well. You all have hundreds of us hanging on your every word, not with jelousy, but with utter amazement of the experience and respect for those representing THP, Callaway, and The Hideaway.

I agree with everything you said, these guys are doing a fantastic job recapping everything about their trip. The only spot we differ, I am definitely insanely jealous of these guys. Not in a bad way where I'm mad or anything, but definitely jealous :D

Probably because THP'ers are awesome and she got to see it first hand. You don't see attitude or arrogance. You just see good people who appreciate the entire experience and not just there for the stuff.

Except for that ATL guy. He just leaves you business cards if you hit a drive too close to him.

The #zoocrew

This is a special group.

Due to the way that they interact with consumers, they've almost become caricatures to a lot of people, but they are the realest of the real. I feel like I made 9 new friends after spending the week with them. What we shared will definitely bond us for the rest of our lives and I saw some of the same emotions from them that we were all feeling.

I heard a few things from them that helped me realize why they are successful and will continue to be successful. They are so consumer oriented. One line from Harry was along the lines of, "We aren't here to tell you what you want. You are here to tell us what you want and what is cool." To me, that's a 180° from the norm in this industry.

It even crept into the event in ways that were subtle. Harry told us that he didn't care if we came to the first tee with a bag of competitor's clubs. He basically said, "You are consumers, and we aren't worried about that at all." It sounds dumb, but it was nice to know that nobody there would be offended by what we'd brought with us since they were all so kind and generous.

Going to just toss out names and thoughts as they come, so let's get started.

Harry

One thing that struck me right away is that Harry is a smart guy. An extremely smart guy and he's very good at what he does. Guess that should come as no surprise since he's lead a team that's been part of a big turnaround, but even so - until you hear him in person you don't realize it as much. For being sort of a brash ba$tard he's really a softy inside too. If you have to make an appointment or go pee I'd wait until afterwards to ask him a question :p

There was no pretend in Harry. He meant everything he said and said whatever he wanted in the way he wanted. I can respect that. Imagine the guy from the Callaway Talks videos, but he's your good friend and you're in a bar. Full of knowledge, but willing to talk to you on a level that you can actually relate to. That's what talking to Harry is like.

Finley

Finley gets things done. He's kind of a pr!ck when you are getting you a$$ kicked though LOL. Finley is another real-deal guy. Not afraid to dish it out and not afraid to take it. He did so many things preparing for this and to say we all owe him a huge thank you is an understatement. His leg work made certain that this was going to be an unforgettable trip.

Jason is Callaway to the bone. Has been with them for a long time and believes in what they are doing. Wish nothing but the best for him in the future.

Only regret is that I didn't get to play a round with him, though considering I got beat anyway, maybe that's not so bad. He whooped up on some #dreamteam'ers.

Sabella

He's so well manicured. Like a patch of lawn at The Hideaway. Great taste in clothing. Greg is one of the more senior guys in the marketing group and has seen it all. What you notice is that he's having so much fun and I think he's just plain excited about where his company is headed right now. One thing I'll always remember is him jumping in the back of the bus with a group of the #dreamteamers and just getting to know us. Him and I shared stories about our families, we all talked fishing, work, etc with no BS and it was impressive to me. Same for the day that he sat down with Kevin and I while we ate some cereal at the Hyatt. Just a normal, awesome guy.

Poor Greg didn't have the best day on Tuesday and I thought we had his number on Wednesday. Truly showed what he was made of to go from whacking his head into a glass door and losing a couple matches to dropping the hammer on Wednesday. Big time!

Ethanator aka Callaway HR

I love and hate Ethan. Love him because he's hilarous, generous, and a very fun person to hang out with. Hate him for dropping numerous 270 yard bombs on me while taking two points in our matches.

Ethan did so many little things for us that made the trip special. Stocking up coolers with beer, some of it requested before, was one of those little things. Handing out patches for people to take with them. Offering to take jlukes to a Giants game on Sunday because he knew he was a fan. That's a solid guy right there.

You're a great golfer and just an all-around great person Ethan. #zoocrew is lucky to have you on board dude.

HeyPete

Pete is surprisingly normal for this group of people. A family man who actually sacrificed quite a bit to hang out with us freaks. It was his 40th birthday on Tuesday, and while he obviously had an awesome experience playing at The Hideaway and all the other things involved, I know that being away from your family on your birthday isn't easy.

He works to much. Quit working so much! Or maybe that's why you are sitting in Carlsbad right now and I'm here :)

Snappy dresser.

Enjoyed the shortened round that we got to share together. Pete is a solid player like all these guys and I know that quite a few of us really enjoyed after hours with Pete. He's an enjoyable guy to have a few drinks with and talk about life.

ScottyG

Does this guy ever quit smiling?

If he does, I didn't see it. Can't blame him though. He lives in paradise, could be on TV, has a great family, and works where he works. Scotty was all over the place talking with #dreamteam'rs the entire week, whether it was on the bus, with me on the putting green, or in the lounge at the Hyatt.

Just to show his generosity, he literally gave tpluff the shirt off his back.

#Chad

Chad takes a bunch of crap with a smile on his face. Lucky for him, and at times unlucky for me, he's also really good at dishing it out :beat-up:

Chad is another guy that did a lot of work getting ready for our Carlsbad takeover and we can't thank him enough for that. He's a pretty good golfer too. Fun fact: Chad claims to wear a hat on his wet hair to get that dreamy look rather than the anticipated blow dry and aquanet. Might be worth trying if you're looking to up your hair game.

Rhiona

Rhiona is awesome. Again, another kind, generous, and crazily fun person to hang out with from the #zoocrew. She took the time to get to know many of the guys, and everybody had great things to say about her. Great taste in wine.

Rhiona needs a nickname though. I'm thinking it's going to be #dreamteamkiller, because she flat out destroyed us. Two points for team Callaway from her Tuesday matches. Thanks for nothing Rhiona!

JRod

Freaking Johnny. I'm saving this guy for last, for a few reasons.

I was lucky enough to play with Johnny twice and he was part of a round that I'll remember fondly for the rest of my life, not to mention the food, drinks, and conversation we shared over the three days.

Johnny made sure a personal touch was on every piece of clothing we had. A logo he designed just for the event.

You want to play a round with this guy. He's funny, supportive, and annoyingly good. Big Bertha literally changed his game. He was on fire with that driver. Bad shot and you're feeling a little p@ssed? Better watch out, because Johnny is coming to give you a big hug. Great shot or you just got lucky? Get ready for a flying high five. He's like the big brother you wish you had. He also got Kevin with his all-around awesomeness. Don't let this guy get away #zoocrew. Personifies exactly what life is all about - having fun, being good to people, and doing things the right way.

#zoocrew, thank you isn't enough. What went down out there is something that hit me right in the feel-good and it takes a lot to do that.

Back