There Is Still Good Out There

Sae that today loved seeing the other team in the enzone celebrating too

my oldest was given a prelim diagnose of autism that was later modified to sensory integration disorder and adhd. as a father, you have a son and can't help but start to daydream about all the great things he will do in his life. sure, the pride part is real, but in all honesty what makes you happiest is thinking about your kid being full of joy and pride in his own accomplishments. when you hear that your child will be living with something that could potentially render much of those hopes and dreams unattainable, you (as did i) weep for them, for the fact that they by no fault of their own will struggle. seeing something like this, knowing how many people came together to literally lift this young man up to a height that many in his life probably never gave him the chance to achieve, is one of the best things i've seen in a long time. thank you for sharing this and making my day brighter.

Wonderful story, for sure. It is too bad we don't hear these kinds of stories more often, but I really appreciate it when they do come around.

Dang allergies got my eyes all watery. Its nice to see stories like this every now and then.

Love to see these stories and yes there is still a lot of good happening in this ever increasing screwed up world.
I can only imagine how his next day at school went, hopefully he was many people's hero .
Thanks for sharing !

That was a fantastic story. It reminded me of this one from a few years ago:

This one really hits home for me as I worked with Jason's dad.

That was so awesome. I did get a bit of dust in my eye at the same time i watched that. Having a sister in a wheelchair myself i know how great they feel when treated just like any normal person without a disability.

Great story..."please pass me the kleenex"...

My youngest son is on the severe end of the Autism spectrum and it always touches me when strangers show him kindness. Some people react badly but for the most part people are decent to him. He ran into a Thai restaurant before I could stop him, grabbed a chair, set it in front of the their fish tank and sat down. Some places would act like he was setting the place on fire but the waitress laughed and thought it was cute. I wasn't hungry but they were so nice I tried their spicy beef noodle soup and it happened to be the best ever. Two years later and they get mad at me if I don't bring my son. He's allowed to wander, lay down in "his" booth and basically have free reign of the restaurant.

Trust me if you see a parent or parents struggling with a child, you never know what the situation might be. Especially if their child is special needs you will be making their day if you offer a kind word. My son is pretty well behaved but he has his struggles as well and I know that when someone shows us a bit of kindness it means the world to me.

My youngest son is on the severe end of the Autism spectrum and it always touches me when strangers show him kindness. Some people react badly but for the most part people are decent to him. He ran into a Thai restaurant before I could stop him, grabbed a chair, set it in front of the their fish tank and sat down. Some places would act like he was setting the place on fire but the waitress laughed and thought it was cute. I wasn't hungry but they were so nice I tried their spicy beef noodle soup and it happened to be the best ever. Two years later and they get mad at me if I don't bring my son. He's allowed to wander, lay down in "his" booth and basically have free reign of the restaurant.

Trust me if you see a parent or parents struggling with a child, you never know what the situation might be. Especially if their child is special needs you will be making their day if you offer a kind word. My son is pretty well behaved but he has his struggles as well and I know that when someone shows us a bit of kindness it means the world to me.

what a great post and story.

The second paragraph is so true. I'm sorry to admit, I used to be the first to judge when I saw a kid "acting up" in public and the parents not doing anything. Then several years ago I became more aware of Autism and learned a lot more about it through the basketball coach at Towson who has a son on the spectrum and leads a national awareness day each year during the basketball season.

Now when I honrstly don't judge when I see kids behaving in different ways. You never know the circumstance. I will make eye contact with the mom or dad and give a polite smile or say hello, anything but give a judgemental look.

I like to think, if it truly is a kid just behaving bad, mom or dad will be handling it with the proper discipline.

Great story JB! Tugs at the heart strings pretty hard. Thanks for brightening my day!

Just seeing this, wonderful story and something everyone involved with can always look back on with pride.

Back