Things That Irritate You On the Course?

Giving people tons of strokes in a tourney. Played in a two person match play event this weekend. Got nicked to death. Had three birdies cancelled by nicks. In my third match I shot a 37 on my own ball. We never lost the tee box the entire 9 hole match and still lost by two. I'm just complaining because it was frustrating. I know how the GHIN system works and I know they needed the pops to make the match competitive. BTW we went 0-5 in the tourney.

Lately now it's unpaired greens. It was so bad last week that the greens resembled a teenage boy with acne. So many crater marks that I could not even identify which one was mine. Wound up repairing a few that were in the vicinity of my ball.

Like hundreds of others have said... un-repaired ball marks really grinds my gears. I get UBER excited if I make a nice ball mark and you can best believe I will strut myself right over there and let all of my playing partners know that I am fixing MY ball mark!

Why can't others do that?

I try to fix 3 or 4 on each green. Drives me nuts.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

Number 1 thing that pisses me off right now are cigarettes on or around the green. Good grief you couldn't be more of a scumbag

Number 1 thing that pisses me off right now are cigarettes on or around the green. Good grief you couldn't be more of a scumbag

A guy ahead of us was smoking like a chimney last year. He left butts on nearly every green. My friend picked them up, and at the end of our round, handed the guy a plastic cup with about 10 cigarette butts and said "Hey, you dropped these." The dude was speechless.

No kidding. On the tee box as well. The course isn't an ashtray you asshats ... clean up!

No kidding. On the tee box as well. The course isn't an ashtray you asshats ... clean up!
Yeah it's just ridiculous. To me it's no different than throwing beer cans or trash everywhere. Scumbags

You play your pace and I'll play mine.

This right here is what is wrong with golf and why I played a 6 hour round on the weekend. Why doesn't everyone just play at a proper pace? Skill level has nothing to do with it as many guys I've played with can shoot around in 3.5h and score 120+.

This right here is what is wrong with golf and why I played a 6 hour round on the weekend. Why doesn't everyone just play at a proper pace? Skill level has nothing to do with it as many guys I've played with can shoot around in 3.5h and score 120+.

Pace isn't affected by how good you are, it's affected by the little nuances, for example if you have a 200 yard shot at the green and you know that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than hitting the green, don't wait until the group is all the way off, hit when they get to the back/side of the green. Little things like waiting for that slow play down

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

The course I played yesterday had no benches on the tee boxes. Not one. I realize that most golfers ride, but give me somewhere to sit while I wait, even if it's just the par 3s.

I try to fix 3 or 4 on each green. Drives me nuts.

I do the same. It drives me bonkers!!!!!

Pace isn't affected by how good you are, it's affected by the little nuances, for example if you have a 200 yard shot at the green and you know that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than hitting the green, don't wait until the group is all the way off, hit when they get to the back/side of the green. Little things like waiting for that slow play down

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

i understand and what you mean, that said, you still have to wait on them or change your shot, even if it's 20 to 1 that you hit the green if you do it's got a apchance to blow sky high. I had it happen to me a few weeks ago in a tournament. I'm not excessively long off the tee, short par 4 290+, hadn't been hitting the ball well figured at best I'd be a little short but certainly no threat to the green....wrong....ball hit just short took one big bounce and onto the green eventually stopping 25 feet, got to the green and couple of guys wanted to turn it physical. So while I agree with your thought process, even if it's a low percentage shot you have to wait.

I think being hit into is the only thing that really bothers me in terms of what other people are doing.

Speaking of slow play irritating folks, I agree...really slow play for nonsensical reasons is baffling. On the flip side, a slow play situation that most don't experience unless you play on a veterans/military course that supports and sponsors wounded warriors is a situation that irritates me when golfers complain and even try to play through. That happened today while we sponsored blind/nearly blind veterans. I thought for a minute I was going to punch someone out, in the group in front of us, for hitting into a blind foursome and their support people. These types of events are announced far in advanced and signs are posted at the caddie shack desk when you sign in to play. If you can't tolerate waiting on blind warriors to hit their ball and reach their green, then get off the course... change your day and time of play, because I promise you will have a fight on your hands for hitting into them or mouthing off. I'm just saying.

So... with that off my chest.... I also understand ready golf and players thinking it's okay to go ahead and hit if you only have a 20/1 chance of reaching the green in front of you where guys are putting. It makes sense, until that ONE TIME happens. I experience that one time, and almost took a guy's head off as he was putting. I can tell you I was totally embarrassed and will NEVER again hit into the group in front of me... even if I don't think I can reach them.

Slow play and people that won't allow you to play through if you're alone. They try to speed up but their games are soo woefully bad that it makes it unbearable to watch and wait. I normally skip a few holes then come back to them if I'm in a cart alone.

You should have played through, if your pace is fast good for you if someone else's is slow good for them. We all pay to play and and enjoy ourselves out on the course. I play a 4 1/2 hour round usually and have had people behind me hitting into us and trying to play a fast round. I've had people in front of me taking their time and playing a 6 hour round. Either way I try to play my round so if there is room I'll ask the group behind me to play through and will ask to play through a slow group. The one thing I do not do is get judgmental and blame one thing as "what is wrong with golf"

Ball marks not being fixed on the green. It takes less then 10 seconds to fix.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've stopped and fixed others ball marks on the way to my ball. It drives me nuts.

For me, it's the guys that go back and putt from the original spot again after holing their 2nd/3rd putt, to try to make the first one on a weekend round on a full course. During the week, that's fine, but I've run into this the past two weeks when I've been paired up. One guy even, after the hole was done, walked in front of the green and re-took the chip shot he chunked. That was the point when I decided to say something, since the guys behind us had gotten mad at that point.

Slow play
watching bad players plum bob from 60 ft or 6 in
fixing more than my own ball mark on the green

That happened today while we sponsored blind/nearly blind veterans.QUOTE]

I believe there is a punchline written somewhere asking why these guys aren't playing at night (not to disrespect those who served as they are braver and better than I can ever hope to be).

That happened today while we sponsored blind/nearly blind veterans.QUOTE]

I believe there is a punchline written somewhere asking why these guys aren't playing at night (not to disrespect those who served as they are braver and better than I can ever hope to be).

probably shouldn't admit this but I laughed at this, and your sig. I say that with all due respect to the veterans of this country (including my dad).

So usually im a fair tempered golfer. I l9ve to have fun, cut up and just enjoy the day.

Last week I met a single who literally made me want to choke him. He was wearing basketball shorts and a tee shirt, blaring music that had nothing but obscenities in it. Told me in the tee box that my swing had too many mov8ng parts and id never be good at golf. I delt with all this in a very positive way..I tee off right side of the fairway, he hits his ob and in the woods.. he then turns to me and ask if I had a ball he could borrow.. he was left on the tee box...

So that kind of guy irritates me.

I feel there has been a dramatic shift in invites in only the past few years. I've gone to trying to pair up or pass for a couple holes, then I just kinda back off and do my practice thing possibly playing 2 or 3 different balls to keep a steady pace behind, yet not pressuring.

I don't always invite a single to join in - sometimes I'll look back and see some bad shots and know it'll be miserable. Other times I want to spent alone time with the person I'm golfing with. Sometimes I see singles out there who think they should be able to play through every group on the course even when the groups are all keeping up. It's really the single's responsibility to find a game, or find a rhythm that doesn't push the people he's following. Pull out another ball, hit several putts, chips. Or if needed, ask the people behind to join up. I play a lot as a single and have learned to keep my distance and not pressure the group ahead - some rather not play with strangers, especially if they're relatively new to the game and struggling.

Back