THP Auto Repair Shop

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
Welcome to the THP Auto Repair thread! Here you can ask questions and receive answers from certified mechanics. I will also upload videos, general tips, and other great service information. Any other techs/mechanics/instructors please feel free to add content or answer questions too! I know @billyh and @2BFAST should be able to provide a wealth of automotive knowledge!

Bio- @J.B. Cobb III I am currently the night automotive instructor at Cape Fear CC in downtown Wilmington, NC. I teach the 2nd year advanced classes. I also teach the NC Safety and OBD II inspection classes. After growing up restoring old cars and working on tractor-trailers for my parents’ trucking company, I spent 2 years in Nashville, TN attending Nashville Auto-Diesel College where I received an associate’s degree in auto-diesel tech, welding, high performance engines, and business. I was hired by Ford Heavy Duty Trucks as a diesel mechanic and then transitioned into teaching high school and now college. I am a Ford/ASE master tech and have numerous certifications.

Through the school, I have access to tools, service manuals, wiring schematics, OEM publications, etc. If you need any help or have a general automotive question, please post it in the thread and someone will help you!

Wow @J.B. Cobb III I didn’t know your pedigree. I’m all for this section and think it could serve some really good purposes.

I’ll give a little about myself. I started off my career in the Marine Corps as a Motor Transportation mechanic and then transitioned into the automotive world. I worked at a couple dealerships (Chevy/Cadillac and Lincoln Mercury) along with a couple other independent shops. I went back to working on large trucks and then on to heavy equipment with mainly Cat and Deere. I now run/teach the Diesel/Heavy Equipment program at Carteret Community College about 2 hours north of J.B. in Morehead City NC and do a little summin summin on the side with big diesel boats.

I also have access to a TON of resources and can get you pointed in the right directions. So feel free to ask, and if it’s a dumb question, still ask.

Good Job @J.B. Cobb III big respect for this. I have no formal training but I have rebuilt a sh$% load of Tremec T56 and have nothing but respect for the guys and gals that do it on a daily basis!

Ok - This might be fun!
I have a 2017 Chevy Imapla Premier Edition.
Every time I start up, the MyLink Infotainment screen flashes that Program Installed as failed.
It looks like it's trying to do 2 updates because it shows up 4 time.
Car works fine as well as MyLink.

Any idea what this is?
Once I get back in my car, I'll add a screen shot.

All right!

Where was this thread a few weeks ago when my son and I had to remove the steering wheel from his car to replace his headlight switch? <-- this was surprisingly easy by the way and, if I can walk my son through doing this after watching a youtube video, almost anyone can do it. Regripping a golf club is almost more difficult.

Thanks for starting this thread!

At basically idle speed, when I turn the steering wheel left to the stop, I get a clunk and a feeling like I've driven over something from the right front wheel. It happens in reverse and drive. This is a 15 Tahoe, 2WD.

Please, please, please have a logo for this 🤞. Great idea on a thread, kudos to you guys.

Thanks for starting this @J.B. Cobb III ! I am an idiot with cars so I will be watching and hopefully learning!

Ok - This might be fun!
Every time I start up, the MyLink Infotainment screen flashes that Program Installed as failed.

Any idea what this is?

Have you tried to update after connecting to your home wifi?

Darn @J.B. Cobb III that's impressive. In the new world of zoom, I may need to hit you up as an expert. We also need to grab a beer and talk cars.

Have you tried to update after connecting to your home wifi?
Never thought of connecting my car to my Home WiFi....
Shouldn't it work "Over the Air" ?
The car tries to update 2 minutes after I start it up.

Never thought of connecting my car to my Home WiFi....
Shouldn't it work "Over the Air" ?
The car tries to update 2 minutes after I start it up.

They occasionally have problems doing it over the air. Just a thought and if it doesn't work there's either an issue with the update or the radio accepting the update.

Ok - This might be fun!

Any idea what this is?
If the car isn’t still under factory warranty I’d try doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery and keeping the cables touching for about a min or so. If that doesn’t help there’s probably an actual issue that only the dealership can deal with.

Infotainment stuff is usually a dealership only repair. As we can only do direct updates and flashes to it.

Welcome to the THP Auto Repair thread! Here you can ask questions and receive answers from certified mechanics. I will also upload videos, general tips, and other great service information. Any other techs/mechanics/instructors please feel free to add content or answer questions too! I know @billyh and @2BFAST should be able to provide a wealth of automotive knowledge!

Bio- @J.B. Cobb III I am currently the night automotive instructor at Cape Fear CC in downtown Wilmington, NC. I teach the 2nd year advanced classes. I also teach the NC Safety and OBD II inspection classes. After growing up restoring old cars and working on tractor-trailers for my parents’ trucking company, I spent 2 years in Nashville, TN attending Nashville Auto-Diesel College where I received an associate’s degree in auto-diesel tech, welding, high performance engines, and business. I was hired by Ford Heavy Duty Trucks as a diesel mechanic and then transitioned into teaching high school and now college. I am a Ford/ASE master tech and have numerous certifications.

Through the school, I have access to tools, service manuals, wiring schematics, OEM publications, etc. If you need any help or have a general automotive question, please post it in the thread and someone will help you!

Appreciate you my man! I deal drugs and vaccinate the world (no politics, I’ve made almost 4x my salary this year as they’re paying OT to all of us old guys that are willing to and more).

So I can’t golf because if the sun is up I’m vaccinating America. Yay me.

Left or freaking right arm. And if you ask me about your booster before you bothered to have a shot that you’ve been allowed for 7-8 months? I will ******* brain you. Thanks.

Wow cool thread. I literally know nada bout cars except some electronic stuff from another lifetime and maybe how to change the oil and/or a tire haha

Infotainment stuff is usually a dealership only repair. As we can only do direct updates and flashes to it.
I did bring it to the dealers attention when I brought in for an Oil Change/Tire Rotation.
They told me to have OnStar try to reset it over the air.
If that didn't work, they'd have to have for the day to determine the issue.
I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon however it bugs the OCD in me.

Wow cool thread. I literally know nada bout cars except some electronic stuff from another lifetime and maybe how to change the oil and/or a tire haha

Secret. I hate cars and will gladly punch a .50BMG through every engine on every car in America.

Except my car. We cool. :)

Ok - This might be fun!

Any idea what this is?

At basically idle speed, when I turn the steering wheel left to the stop, I get a clunk and a feeling like I've driven over something from the right front wheel. It happens in reverse and drive. This is a 15 Tahoe, 2WD.

I will see what I can find tonight after work.

I am not @J.B. Cobb III but that sounds to me to be a control arm link bushing, or sway bar bushing if your truck has one. But either way, it sounds like a bushing related to the control arm connection, which is why you hear it when at the max travel.

I am not @J.B. Cobb III but that sounds to me to be a control arm link bushing, or sway bar bushing if your truck has one. But either way, it sounds like a bushing related to the control arm connection, which is why you hear it when at the max travel.
GM sway bar bushings are trash.

Ok - This might be fun!

Any idea what this is?
6C23DDE0-0BCC-4914-BCDC-8663F89CCD91.jpeg

I did bring it to the dealers attention when I brought in for an Oil Change/Tire Rotation.
They told me to have OnStar try to reset it over the air.
If that didn't work, they'd have to have for the day to determine the issue.
I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon however it bugs the OCD in me.
Sounds like they didn’t do anything then, just trying to pass it on to someone else to fix.

I get it, my wife’s 19 Grand Cherokee has issues with going back and forth between when she drives it and when I drive it. The memory for both drivers is never correct and I’ve taken it about four times and they say they updated the software, but never fixes it. So now we just deal with it. When the lease is up they can have it back and she’ll get another one lol .

Back