Tiger is back, and with a new driver

AK jr.

d2 college player
Reaction score
Handicap
From what i can see, Tiger has switched from his trusty Diamana Whiteboard to a shaft with an orange and white coloration. I don't know if this is just paint, but I assume it is a different shaft. My best guest is that it is the same shaft Ryo Ishikawa is playing in his driver and woods, the GD Tour AD DI-8, which to my knowledge is a mid-high launching shaft. Interesting considering last time we saw tiger was was playing a 10* driver and his last shaft was low launch with low spin. His driver head also looked a little different but it may just be a prototype.

It is the VR Tour driver with the UST ATTAS that we reviewed a couple of weeks back.

What driver head was he playing? VR?

Thanks.

Edited my post to add that.

Golf.com is reporting that the shaft was Graphite Design Tour AD DI. We are being told by two others that it is a UST ATTAS. Turns out we are both right. He is playing 2 drivers and has both shafts.

From what i can see, Tiger has switched from his trusty Diamana Whiteboard to a shaft with an orange and white coloration. I don't know if this is just paint, but I assume it is a different shaft. My best guest is that it is the same shaft Ryo Ishikawa is playing in his driver and woods, the GD Tour AD DI-8, which to my knowledge is a mid-high launching shaft. Interesting considering last time we saw tiger was was playing a 10* driver and his last shaft was low launch with low spin. His driver head also looked a little different but it may just be a prototype.

Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7 X

Golf.com is reporting that the shaft was Graphite Design Tour AD DI. We are being told by two others that it is a UST ATTAS. Turns out we are both right. He is playing 2 drivers and has both shafts.

It's definitely a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
This shaft is supposed to be a great shaft!!!!!!!!!

GDTourADDI7X.jpg

TigerShaft.jpg

yes! so im not completely wrong haha. interesting he has completely taken the whiteboard out of his rotation. do you think he will pull a phil mickelson and play both drivers or is this just a practice round deal to find which flight fits the course best.

GDTourADDI7X.jpg

TigerShaft.jpg

ya thats what i happened to see every time they showed him on tv. im not quite familiar with the looks of the attas though i know it is a vaguely similar color scheme

As I mentioned, he has 2 drivers with him and has both shafts there. We have confirmed it from both Nike and 2 media members that were with him today. He preferred the GD out of the two of them (by quite a large margin) we have been told and will put that in play for atleast Thursday's round.

Is it just me or is that the first time I've ever seen him wear sunglasses?

i have seen him with sunglasses one other time i think, but never in a tournament. it will be interesting to see if he keeps them on when thursday rolls around.

Has he switched to the Method putter? I thought I saw a picture from yesterday and it showed a Method instead of the SC putter.

Has he switched to the Method putter? I thought I saw a picture from yesterday and it showed a Method instead of the SC putter.

He has not officially switched yet. According to his people, he has both putters with him and is currently trying them out.

He has not officially switched yet. According to his people, he has both putters with him and is currently trying them out.

That is very interesting JB, thanks for the information and confirming what I saw. It is hard to believe he will switch from his SC after all these years. But really I thought he should have switched a long time ago, since the rest of his bag is Nike, correct?

It is right now and has been. Today apparently he used the SC almost exclusively.

Drive for show and putt for the dough!!! The putter is a money maker for him and the one in his bag has won 13 majors. Tiger will have a heck of a time changing putters.
On a side note many tour players have different putters from other companies that their not sponsored by. Anthony Kim is another Nike staffer that has used a Scotty changed to the Method and is now back to the Scotty.

IF he changes putters, that'll really say what a putter the Method is. He hasn't even changed to a NEWER SC as far as I know, more or less a different model or even a different brand.

I'm sure Nike wants him to, but I don't see him changing.

Drive for show and putt for the dough!!! The putter is a money maker for him and the one in his bag has won 13 majors. Tiger will have a heck of a time changing putters.
On a side note many tour players have different putters from other companies that their not sponsored by. Anthony Kim is another Nike staffer that has used a Scotty changed to the Method and is now back to the Scotty.

Lets not forget guys like Zach that is Titleist and uses a SeeMore. Almost every golfer on the tour picks their putter separately and it is not part of their club deal. However many companies pay guys to use their putters such as Odyssey and SC. And then there are others that pay nothing.

Lets not forget guys like Zach that is Titleist and uses a SeeMore. Almost every golfer on the tour picks their putter separately and it is not part of their club deal. However many companies pay guys to use their putters such as Odyssey and SC. And then there are others that pay nothing.
Exactly... Just curious, is there a player sponsored by Callaway that doesn't use an Odyssey?

Sure. Not always though. Mark Brooks has played 20 different putters. Notah Begay played a SC for a while. Nitties was Odyssey, then Nickent, then Odyssey, then Ping, and most recently Odyssey again. Quite a few from the Euro staff does not either.

Thanks JB!
Now back to the topic..... How will Tiger's driving be this week? I think he will be in the fairway far fewer times than the rough!

You may be right. Its very curious to see anybody tee it up with a new driver let alone someone that has not played much at all recently.

like phil mikelson did a couple of weeks ago

like phil mikelson did a couple of weeks ago

I think Phil shows up everywhere with 2 drivers in his bag! :eyepoke:

Back