Tiger not exempt for upcoming US Open

Why on earth would anybody have an issue with a special exemption to the greatest player of a generation and one that brings more eyeballs to the sport?
Its not taking a spot away from anybody.

My goodness some people need to back away from the keyboard at times.
Whoa, whoa don't be bring your levelheadedness up in here.

Why on earth would anybody have an issue with a special exemption to the greatest player of a generation and one that brings more eyeballs to the sport?
Its not taking a spot away from anybody.

My goodness some people need to back away from the keyboard at times.
I don't believe your statement is factual. USGA sets the field at 156. If you give a special exemption then the possible qualifiers go down one so giving Tiger a special exemption does take a spot away from someone.

Just add Whan to the list of people in golf who need to go. Checking the list of exemptions, the last is a "special exemption". Since Tiger can't meet the handicap requirements any more, it has to be extra special.
I mean you get a 5 year exemption for the other majors if you win the Masters. He was injured and couldn't play for most of those so I don't think it's unreasonable to get a special exemption for the first year you aren't eligible. I would say that for any pro but especially for the greatest golfer of this generation.

Tiger will be here to receive the Bob Jones award in a ceremony on Monday night weather he is playing or not. But he always drives ratings up when he is playing.

We are volunteering on Tuesday and Friday morning and then Saturday PM and Sunday the mid-shift (it's the early shift, but starts late since we are on 18 and nobody will be coming through there until later).
That's AWESOME!!! Thank you for giving your time.

which is too bad, I feel like they get the course setup right way more times than the USGA does. It just always ranks 4th.

I agree. The USGA loses courses on a regular basis. I would say the PGA and US Open are tied for 2nd in my list of majors. Up until the US Open went to more of a rotation I always thought the PGA got screwed on courses a bit.

Just add Whan to the list of people in golf who need to go. Checking the list of exemptions, the last is a "special exemption". Since Tiger can't meet the handicap requirements any more, it has to be extra special.

Tiger isn’t the 1st and won’t be the last to get a special exemption. Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Seve, Michelson, Player and Watson all got them. Hell Jack got like 8 of them.

I have absolutely 0 issues with Tiger getting a special exemption to play the US Open. Yes, that means there will be one less spot for someone to make in through qualifying, but do fans want to see me play the US Open or Tiger (i know...I don't even meet the requirements to try to qualify, but still.)

I can’t find the numbers but out of the 156 man field I would think there’s a few saved for exemptions. I could be wrong and it’s taking a spot too

Last edited:
It has been noted that Jack, the GOAT, received 8 exemptions. So now the time has come to give the 2nd greatest, Tiger, the same treatment. No harm in that IMO.

This whole thread...

season 7 friends GIF

Back