Tiger Woods Signs on w/ Rolex

I think Rolex is buying low on this one and hopes that the investment pans out.

Am I the only one who looked twice at this... "exposed for serial adultery" Just an odd use of words.

Good deal for Tiger! Rolex wanted to stick it to Tag Hauer!

This is good news, it will be good to see some ads come out with Tiger in them again.

I have a question that has been running through my head about sponsorships and its not directly related to TW, but since this is the latest signing being talked about, I figured here is as good a spot as any.

I understand that when a player that you are a fan of signs with equipment that you like or use it makes sense to cheer them on and be excited. In some ways it feels like validation for some in that their gear is being used by the best in the world. However I dont get the excitement when an athlete signs for something like Rolex and/or Mercedes or some jet company. We dont cheer on any other athletes when they sign a Gatorade deal or are pitching local restaurants, so why do we celebrate athletes getting a new endorsement deal? Does it have any bearing on us other than their paycheck? Does it show that we as consumers are such sheep that we are honestly celebrating athletes signing on for millions only to try and sell us goods based solely on the fact that they are supposedly "thrilled to use them".

I watched in my previous life as athletes signed for deal after deal and nobody really said a word, yet for some reason in the world of golf, we cheer guys getting contracts for money to pitch products. Like I said, I understand the equipment side of it and in some ways the apparel and footwear since it goes with the territory, but I dont understand the rest.

Anyway, just my thoughts I have been thinking of recently as it pertained to this signing as well as a few others as of late.

I can honestly say this, never when Tiger was with Buick, did I want to go out and buy one. Besides equipment/apparel/shoes, I do not put much stock in to which golfer supports what.

Just a sign of him getting old, next thing you know he'll be sponsored by Lexus also.

Then again he was with Buick, who's average buyers are over 50.

I'm into it for the wearables factor, I love watches and I'm still looking for a good deal on the Tudor prince tiger endorsed when he was young. I don't hold alot of stock in what clubs the guys play, mostly because I'd never be able to do with it what they do, but the clothes, and watches I like. I'm not sure why I don't care about baseball or football endorsements, the only thing I can think of is they are not my sport of choice even though the talent pool is exceptional. You have me thinking about it though.

I have a question that has been running through my head about sponsorships and its not directly related to TW, but since this is the latest signing being talked about, I figured here is as good a spot as any.

I understand that when a player that you are a fan of signs with equipment that you like or use it makes sense to cheer them on and be excited. In some ways it feels like validation for some in that their gear is being used by the best in the world. However I dont get the excitement when an athlete signs for something like Rolex and/or Mercedes or some jet company. We dont cheer on any other athletes when they sign a Gatorade deal or are pitching local restaurants, so why do we celebrate athletes getting a new endorsement deal? Does it have any bearing on us other than their paycheck? Does it show that we as consumers are such sheep that we are honestly celebrating athletes signing on for millions only to try and sell us goods based solely on the fact that they are supposedly "thrilled to use them".

I watched in my previous life as athletes signed for deal after deal and nobody really said a word, yet for some reason in the world of golf, we cheer guys getting contracts for money to pitch products. Like I said, I understand the equipment side of it and in some ways the apparel and footwear since it goes with the territory, but I dont understand the rest.

Anyway, just my thoughts I have been thinking of recently as it pertained to this signing as well as a few others as of late.

JB, those are some good questions and ideas you bring up. We're an aspirational society, sold this idea that we can be like those who we admire. Wear their shoes, swing their clubs, buy the watch they wear ... I think that golfers feel particularly connected with the professional golfer and the game than most sports - in a way that influences their purchasing decision more directly. (I would probably throw Tennis and Basketball into this same area, btw.) Because of this connection to the players, I like to think we can measure, in part, the health of the game by the endorsements the professionals can get.

From a company perspective, if the target market is playing golf recreationally, chances are people in that market have more leisure and luxury spending dollars available. A healthy game means there are more of these people out there and the best way to reach them is through the game's stars.

Just my quick 2c!

Great for Tiger, but not sure about Rolex? Maybe it will work out for both of them.

Good for Rolex! Tiger Woods in a good person to sponsor, he will always be in the media!

I hardly ever pay attention to athlete signings no matter what the sport or the sponsor. It just really doesn't change my buying decisions very often. With that said, I'm in the market for a watch and have it on my Christmas list and I can say that Rolex just moved down the list. The sooner Tiger goes away, the better.

Outside of this particular signing (which I think is in a seperate category all together for fans), I think golf signings, at least, somehow show a sign of success in most up-and-coming golfers. These guys support their dream based only by that of sponsorship dollars with the hopes of making it to the "Sunday Show". I think we get excited to see a guy get a deal from household name products because it somehow validates their rise to success. Meaning, when Golfer A gets a deal from a hometown car dealership, who cares, when that same golfer succeeds and all of a sudden gets signed by what we would consider a major sponsor (i.e. Gatorade as you stated), it somehow shows that not only am I seeing the golfer's success, but big business is too. I don't get SO excited if a player is sponsored by the stuff I use, I get excited to see them become somehow validated.

Also, as you know, professional golfers don't have contracts to get paid; so to speak. Sponsorship IS their big "Peyton Manning" deal. This is why I get excited to see someone get sponsorship deals personally. I can be honest and tell you that if Phil got a big deal from say Apple or someone, I don't think I'd care near as much, but again, that's how he gets his "Peyton" money. Usually, Performance + Wins = Big Sponsors = Big Money... (again...not so much in the TW/Rolex deal)

P.S. I am lucky enough to own a Rolex and I can assure you my golf will not be any better even if Tiger wins his next Masters with one on.

Wouldn't Timex have been more appropriate? "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

Maybe this will help him realize it is time for a new coach. :laughing:

LMAO...I am too funny. Lame I know.
I like this one. This is funny, cookie.

I hardly ever pay attention to athlete signings no matter what the sport or the sponsor. It just really doesn't change my buying decisions very often. With that said, I'm in the market for a watch and have it on my Christmas list and I can say that Rolex just moved down the list. The sooner Tiger goes away, the better.

When making an investment grade watch purchase, it seems you should judge a Rolex on its own merits. In 2031 no one will really care if Rolex signed Tiger, but that watch will still be valued by a large community of people and worth a good percentage of how much you paid for it.

i'll take all his old tag's off of him

Wow....How did I miss another Tiger thread! :popcorn:

I think a good deal for both companies. Rolex is getting in on what they hope is the ground floor of Tiger's resurgence. Tiger gets some money. To JB's point I really don't care all that much. Can't really afford a Rolex and if I could I wouldn't be buying one just because Tigger is wearing one.

The only time, that I can remember, buying anything because an athlete either used or endorsed a product, was back in the 80's. I was big into tennis and bought Nike gear because I was an Aggasi fan (had to have the clothing and shoes anyway). I would never buy anything, specially something as expensive as a Rolex or a car, because of anyone's endorsment deal. There are circumstances where I WON'T buy a specific brand because of who is associated with it (Ray Lewis, Michael Vick, TW, Brett Favre among others) because of personal reasons. Sponsorship can go both ways.

The only time, that I can remember, buying anything because an athlete either used or endorsed a product, was back in the 80's. I was big into tennis and bought Nike gear because I was an Aggasi fan (had to have the clothing and shoes anyway). I would never buy anything, specially something as expensive as a Rolex or a car, because of anyone's endorsment deal. There are circumstances where I WON'T buy a specific brand because of who is associated with it (Ray Lewis, Michael Vick, TW, Brett Favre among others) because of personal reasons. Sponsorship can go both ways.

In my younger days I would buy the irons that my favorite players were playing. Went Lynx when Freddie did

What brands do you wear?

When making an investment grade watch purchase, it seems you should judge a Rolex on its own merits. In 2031 no one will really care if Rolex signed Tiger, but that watch will still be valued by a large community of people and worth a good percentage of how much you paid for it.

The bold can also be said for Cartier, Audemars Piguet, and Patek Phillippe. And since the Tiger Woods signing, those 3 have moved up the list above Rolex...

What brands do you wear?

Ashworth, Adidas, Footjoy for golf. Levi for jeans and Dockers and various others. I'm sure there are brands out there that if I knew they were endorsed by certain people, I would avoid.

Hope he appears in a commercial with Phil. In fact, I think I have the perfect idea: Tiger and Phil are tied after 4 rounds at the US Open. Instead of the preparing for the 18 hole playoff the next day, Tiger and Phil decide to engage in an arm-wrestling match in the locker room that evening. Tiger grunts with intensity and Phil does the rolling of the wrist like in "Over the top". Then, right before the bell rings, the camera focuses on the rolex watch on each of their wrists. The commerical, of course, ends there... leaving the viewers in unsatisfied anticipation of who wins the arm-wrestling match and, ultimately, the US Open. But hey, we saw the awesome rolexes.

That would be a great commercial!!!

Back