Tiger Woods Withdraws From British Open

hehehehe

LOL at the haters!

From the BBC:

Australian Brendan Jones was first on the reserve list to replace Woods but he declined the invitation so American Jason Dufner will fill the vacancy at Sandwich.

I want to know why Brendan Jones turned it down! I mean, its The Open!

"Are you Tapatalking to me?"

Just told because Jones' wife is about to have a baby.

From the BBC:

Australian Brendan Jones was first on the reserve list to replace Woods but he declined the invitation so American Jason Dufner will fill the vacancy at Sandwich.

I want to know why Brendan Jones turned it down! I mean, its The Open!

Sorry to hear TW won't be making it but, this gives some new faces a chance to shine. Jason Dufner must be super stoked right now. I hope he has some really good rain gear. Based on the performance at the Ryder Cup, I'd stay away from Sun Mountain gear. ; - )

I was just about to post that and while The Open is a major tournament that comes and goes, I must say that I find it honorable that he would turn it down so that he could see his child be born. Some may think it's crazy, but that shows a lot about his character

no surprise, he is probably out for the year. He needs a Mark Grace slumpbuster.
Yes, it may give other people a chance to shie but it is bad for golf. Ratings will be down just like the US Open

Thanks JB, one of the few valid reasons then!

Tiger is definitely great for ratings, but a struggling tiger is no fun for me to watch. I think I will be selfish and say that I don't want tiger to show up unless he is going to play well because he will get the TV time no matter what.

He detracts from good golf when he is sucking and enhances it when he is on. I understand why they show him so much, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. I think a lot of us on here feel that some worship Tiger like he was Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Tupak, The Beatles and Jimmy Hendrix all wrapped up in a package that is, apparently, falling apart. If Tiger coverage would have detracted even 1 shot of Rory coverage at the US, I would have been screaming at my TV like an old conservative at liberal media coverage (which is always entertaining BtW).

We want coverage of the tourney and the people in contention and not Tiger Cam when he is not playing well. I also don't like his temper tantrums and if he is going to carry on and swear so much, he could at least do it like Samuel L. Jackson. "I'm mother (bleep) Tiger Woods and mother (bleep)Tiger woods doesn't hit (bleep) damn shots like a little (bleep) on the (bleep) damn mother (bleep) Nationwide Tour. Next time I hit the piece of (bleep) ball, it better make sure it gets in the mother (bleep) hole." Tiger L. Jackson haha. Now, I would pay money to watch that!

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

Tiger is definitely great for ratings, but a struggling tiger is no fun for me to watch. I think I will be selfish and say that I don't want tiger to show up unless he is going to play well because he will get the TV time no matter what.

He detracts from good golf when he is sucking and enhances it when he is on. I understand why they show him so much, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. I think a lot of us on here feel that some worship Tiger like he was Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Tupak, The Beatles and Jimmy Hendrix all wrapped up in a package that is, apparently, falling apart. If Tiger coverage would have detracted even 1 shot of Rory coverage at the US, I would have been screaming at my TV like an old conservative at liberal media coverage (which is always entertaining BtW).

We want coverage of the tourney and the people in contention and not Tiger Cam when he is not playing well. I also don't like his temper tantrums and if he is going to carry on and swear so much, he could at least do it like Samuel L. Jackson. "I'm mother (bleep) Tiger Woods and mother (bleep)Tiger woods doesn't hit (bleep) damn shots like a little (bleep) on the (bleep) damn mother (bleep) Nationwide Tour. Next time I hit the piece of (bleep) ball, it better make sure it gets in the mother (bleep) hole." Tiger L. Jackson haha. Now, I would pay money to watch that!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, just keep in mind that "we" as in the general public does in fact want a Tiger Cam almost irregardless of how he is playing. The knowledgeable golf fan is another story....

I was one of those people. To answer your question about what I'm saying now....well not much to say really. I hope he gets better and can get back for the PGA Championship at least.

I'm calling it right now, no PGA for
TW. Now when I calls it a week and half prior I want credit. I'm thinking the entire year may be a wash. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, just keep in mind that "we" as in the general public does in fact want a Tiger Cam almost irregardless of how he is playing. The knowledgeable golf fan is another story....

Yeah. I know exactly what you are saying and it is great for the casual fan, but maybe they could let TGC have rights to the rest of the field for those who don't care about Tiger when he us not in contention.

It is a shame that Tiger is not attending the Open, but like has already been said, Tiger playing badly is not worth watching. When he is on song he is magical, but when bad his game is dire. That said, his bad game is often far better than some pro's good ones, but we percieve it as really bad due to our high expectations of him.

There is quite obviously far more to his injuries than meets the eye. My take on it is that some of these 'injuries' are not all physical. If you catch my drift.

Here we have a young man who has done more for the advancement of our beloved sport in his career than most can imagine. He can only be aplauded for this.

His recent actions within his private life did make him look a real fool to say the least and if this showed us the REAL Tiger then we have all been hoodwinked over these past few years with his Mr Nice Guy persona.

My biggest problem with Tiger is not really his fault. When us mortals in the UK get coverage from CBS or the like, if Tiger is playing, all the coverage seems centered around him. No matter if he is leading or tied last. Yes I know that the guy is a draw for the spectators but please give us a break on the TV coverage. There are at least another 60 playing the comp as well. So as far as me watching golf this year, I really am on cloud 9 as I now get to see players that would normally escape below the radar.

However, it will be a sad day for golf if Tiger stays away for too long. There are not too many 'characters' in the game today, but he is one of those that do exist.

TW. Now when I calls it a week and half prior I want credit. I'm thinking the entire year may be a wash. Just my opinion.

Pretty gutsy predictions! haha

Bummer, not just because TW will be absent but because the events have been lukewarm this year. I had hoped someone would leapfrog right into the limelight, but that sure hasn't been the case. I naturally thought PM would be The Man and I'm disappointed none of the golfers of that generation have stepped in and grabbed the ring. Rory, Rickie, Bubba are all good golfers but I just can't relate to those guys, especially Bubba. I used to like rooting for Phil, KJ, or VJ to finally catch and pass TW but I wonder if we will see that type of tourney much in the future.

Bummer, not just because TW will be absent but because the events have been lukewarm this year. I had hoped someone would leapfrog right into the limelight, but that sure hasn't been the case. I naturally thought PM would be The Man and I'm disappointed none of the golfers of that generation have stepped in and grabbed the ring. Rory, Rickie, Bubba are all good golfers but I just can't relate to those guys, especially Bubba. I used to like rooting for Phil, KJ, or VJ to finally catch and pass TW but I wonder if we will see that type of tourney much in the future.

You dont think Rory has jumped into the limelight?

I do think he has, but I was expecting/hoping it would be a guy who played against TW when he was at the top of his his game.

Pretty gutsy predictions! haha

I'm out on a limb here Smalls...hehe
I can't wait for TW to come back 100%. But after listen to his last couple of NCs I don't see it happening this year

Edit I would like to know who is the face of the open championship across the pond? Is it Rory?

I hope we can keep getting no news until the week before every single event to hear "I am or am not playing". Fortunately for many fans, his schedule is so light, and has been for years, that we wont have to hear it very often.

No suprises here. IMHO...He really should just pack it for the year, have any needed surgeries and recuperate to come back fully next season.

No suprises here. IMHO...He really should just pack it for the year, have any needed surgeries and recuperate to come back fully next season.
Well he said he doesn't need surgery. And there is still a major and some big tourneys I'm sure he'd like to play in. So I'm not gonna count him out till he does so himself. It does seem he will have different names to contend with when he does return.

Tiger Woods Withdraws From British Open - can't say I am surprised nor do I really care. Until he is healthy he is really no fun to watch. I enjoy watching him when he is clicking on all cylinders as there is nothing like it in golf.

I don't think anyone was really expecting him to make the trip. I don't think he is done for the year yet even though I think its probably wise.

Been expecting this....PGA is next, he's done for the year!

I'll give you credit if you recognize who said it first... on post #62. :D

I'll give you credit if you recognize who said it first... on post #62. :D

I learn from the best ;-) skimmer was poured in my ice coffee

Back