Titleist Pro V1/TaylorMade Penta/Nike 20XI-S Testing

I had been using the Warbird just because it was cheap. Would you suggest the Tour i(z/s)?

I liked the I(s) more than the I(z) primarily because it was much more manageable around the greens, which is where I struggle most

Thanks for that write-up Dan. I always enjoy reading ball testing.

You said your putting speed was off, do you think that could be down to the ball?

It's possible. My lines were off, too, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that I was hitting the ball right through the breaks. I'll have to spend some more time on the putting green to figure that out.

I had been using the Warbird just because it was cheap. Would you suggest the Tour i(z/s)?

Well, they're both great balls imo. Some of the differences being the i(z) isnt as soft feeling at impact and wont spin as much off the tee. Its not hard by any means but a different feel. I really didnt notice a spin difference out of the fairway, the i(z)'s seemed to stop fine on the green as well. I'd get a sleeve of both and go to town.

I liked the I(s) more than the I(z) primarily because it was much more manageable around the greens, which is where I struggle most

That's why I tried out the 20XI-S first. Yesterday I just couldn't consistently put the club on the ball around the green, though.

The i(s) is one of my favorite balls ever. Great off the tee and spins quite nicely.

The i(s) is one of my favorite balls ever. Great off the tee and spins quite nicely.

It seems they tend to be a hair less expensive than the others I'm trying. They'll have to be next on my list with the Bridgestones.

If it helps, here is a little info on my game.

Swing speed is on the mid-high end, though I can't give you exact numbers, my average carry is creeping into the 260 range with total near 280. I generate low spin off of my irons and wedges.

It seems they tend to be a hair less expensive than the others I'm trying. They'll have to be next on my list with the Bridgestones.

I love the Nike for their spin. The tour I s spins a little less for me but better off the tee

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I tried the Titleist Pro V1 yesterday. It was a scramble, so I don't have a scorecard to show. I'll just reproduce the entire template from the previous review:

Player Bio

Gender - Male
Age - 31
Height - 5'11"
Weight - 190 lbs.
Dexterity - Right handed
Clubhead Speed - 115 mph
Handicap - GHIN 3.9

Feel

I was actually not happy with the feel of the Pro V1 yesterday. It wasn't as soft as I was expecting, and on the off-center shots it actually felt kinda hard. The cold weather may have contributed a bit yesterday, though.

Spin and Distance

There was a great deal of spin with the Pro V1, but it seemed my iron shots were consistently 5-10 yards short, and I was getting a higher ball flight off the driver and 3w than I prefer. Perhaps I should try the Pro V1X and see if it flies a little more to my liking.

Putting

The Pro V1 putted well, and a couple times I tried the alignment aid, which was definitely more prominent than with the Nikes.

Durability

This ball developed a cut after my first approach shot. It picked up a few scuffs over the next few holes, too. I wasn't impressed with the ball's durability, but at least it didn't develop those smily faces like the old balatas used to.

Overall Impression

I wasn't happy with the Titleist yesterday. There were three approach shots to front pin positions that should have landed just past the pin and rolled back that were right on line but ended up just short of the green (one in a sand trap). That was a rather frustrating product of the loss of distance. By the end of the round I had no confidence in the ball, which is not what I was expecting.

I played the TaylorMade Penta today. I implemented some advice I got from the forum regarding my swing and it worked great. I had a great round. Following is my scorecard and then the review.

9.21 Round.png

Player Bio

Gender - Male
Age - 31
Height - 5'11"
Weight - 190 lbs.
Dexterity - Right handed
Clubhead Speed - 115 mph
Handicap - GHIN 3.9

Feel

I was amazed by the feel of the Penta. When I hit the sweet spot the ball shot of the face with a very light, crisp feel and a nice "snap" sound. By the time I tracked to the ball it was twenty yards further than I was expecting and boring through the air. The off-center shots were a bit more jarring, but I still managed to get good trajectory and was only short by 5-10 yards.

Spin and Distance

Distance off the tee was good, although the inadequacies of my driver shone through again today. I was spraying my drives all over (including one thirty yards left into a hazard). My new Ping G20 should arrive on Friday, and I cannot wait to hit it, especially with the Pentas. I was getting a few extra yards off the irons, and spin was perfect. It was just where I like it. I didn't really have much to do around the greens, except from just off the fringe, so I didn't have an opportunity to see how the ball checked up, etc.

Putting

I didn't notice an alignment aid, but the Penta felt good and soft off the putter.

Durability

I used one ball for the whole round. Not a single cut and just two small scuffs that could have just passed for discoloration. 'Nuff said.

Overall Impression

I found my new ball.

Nice round, bro! I LOVED the penta off everything except the driver. Just spun too much.

Nice round, bro! I LOVED the penta off everything except the driver. Just spun too much.

Thanks, Jacob! I didn't noticed too much spin of the driver, but my drive did balloon on one hole that was directly into a moderate wind. I felt like I was getting more distance off the tee than with the Pro V1. On Friday I should have my new 8.5° G20 with an extra stiff shaft, so I should be able to keep the spin down pretty low. If I have any issues then with spin off the tee then we'll have to have words.

Sidespin was the primary issue for me. Ballooning was not an issue really.
Thanks, Jacob! I didn't noticed too much spin of the driver, but my drive did balloon on one hole that was directly into a moderate wind. I felt like I was getting more distance off the tee than with the Pro V1. On Friday I should have my new 8.5° G20 with an extra stiff shaft, so I should be able to keep the spin down pretty low. If I have any issues then with spin off the tee then we'll have to have words.

Just wanted to say, excellent review Dan! I've been playing the Penta for about 2 months now and I don't think I'm ever going back. As a bit of a Nike fanboy, I was planning on trying out one of the new 20XI series, and I probably still will, but it's nice to see some actual feedback from someone who's used both close together.

Dan, have you tried the Callaway I(z)?? Its another great option.

Great comparison review! I too am a Penta fan and gamer. Love that ball. It seems to stick to the green no matter how far out i am (if i hit it that is). I find it feels great off the putter, spins well plenty from 100 yards and in and checks and rolls as you'd expect from around the green. I also find it's definitely straighter off the tee and longer than Pro V1's. I think it's definitely worth the slight decrease in spin on approaches compared to pro v1's for all the added benefits of length, durability, and accuracy off the tee. Great write ups.

Loved that you included your GolfShot scorecards. That app is amazing!

Dan, have you tried the Callaway I(z)?? Its another great option.

I've been told to give them a shot. Perhaps I'll give them a shot before going all in on the Penta.

Great thread Dan, I recentliy did a ball fitting, and ended up with the same ball that you did. It just feels so great, I was getting the best distance and great accuracy out of it.

The B330 and IZ are two more great balls. The B330 nearly one and the IZ may haev had it, but didn't care for the feel off of the wedges.

nice feedback... felt i had the best results with ProV1x.... I was able to control the spin a little more off drives and around the green...

P
P"

Tappatalk on iPod 8g touch

Thanks, for all the info, Dan. I also use the penta. And, like you, sometimes I get the "balloon" in windy conditions. When it is really windy, I sometimes switch to the prov1x. But in all other situations, I stick with the Penta. Great ball!

I'm also a big fan of the pentas. I played a few rounds with the zstar xv and liked it, but didn't love it. Penta feels softer off every club to me and I love the flight and spin. Best of luck making your decision on the ball you endue gaming.

Back