To upgrade irons or not, seems to be my yearly questions the last few years

These type of threads are fun, but let’s be honest we’ve seen them countless times, and it’s always the same story.
Guy posts OPclaiming to be a good player
He says he’s thinking about getting rid of old irons/ blades usually wants something “more forgiving“ but he’s “worried”.
People ask questions and offer suggestions
OP feigns interest
OP finally admits he’s not going to buy new clubs this year
People keep talking about iron sets they like anyway, because that’s what we do…

These type of threads are fun, but let’s be honest we’ve seen them countless times, and it’s always the same story.
Guy posts OPclaiming to be a good player
He says he’s thinking about getting rid of old irons/ blades usually wants something “more forgiving“ but he’s “worried”.
People ask questions and offer suggestions
OP feigns interest
OP finally admits he’s not going to buy new clubs this year
People keep talking about iron sets they like anyway, because that’s what we do…
I’m waiting until the “redacted” stuff comes out and already formulating the sincere apology to the better half…;)

I might be just inviting myself to this MN group fitting! Better make room.

To answer the thread though, absolutely getting fit is a great idea after 10 years, I think the new tech will help your consistency more than anything especially since you already seem like a good golfer, getting tuned into another set of the right irons after a decade will continue your low HC trend.

I might be just inviting myself to this MN group fitting! Better make room.

To answer the thread though, absolutely getting fit is a great idea after 10 years, I think the new tech will help your consistency more than anything especially since you already seem like a good golfer, getting tuned into another set of the right irons after a decade will continue your low HC trend.
Mn outing at TopGolf? I mean it’ll only be -22 on Sunday! We’d still be able to hit some balls there right?? Probably still shorts weather!

I have had the same ping zings since I bought them in mint condition in 1997. Made mistake of trying zx5s...SOLD

At -22 it's bordering on pants for me, but only because I have really been enjoying the TM pants! I'm not a crazy person.
Funny thing is… I have boys at school that wear shorts every single day. Doesn’t matter if it’s -30 or not. shorts And flip flops and most likely a tshirt.

I’m waiting until the “redacted” stuff comes out and already formulating the sincere apology to the better half…;)
It’s almost new release time, which I like to think of as my “Holiday Season”. 🙄
I don’t need anything, but I want, I want…

It’s almost new release time, which I like to think of as my “Holiday Season”. 🙄
I don’t need anything, but I want, I want…
I know exactly what you’re talking about!

The golfer’s version of cabin fever—golf withdrawal pain is running strong in this thread.

Luckily I have a top golf near me and Tuesdays is half off day

I wouldn't write off the Cobra Forged Tecs either. After watching Chris Dennis (pro who teams with James Robinson on Youtube) switch to them over the summer and see his game improve with them....

We mention new clubs because that's what we do.

Set up a fitting at 2nd Swing for Wednesday so stay tuned! ;) Let’s see what kind of traj is out there

I used to always blame the equipment for my shortcomings, and was constantly trying new clubs. Finally came to realization that I was the problem and found a happy medium with the gear. Everything in my bag is over 5 years old, and don’t plan to upgrade anytime soon. I’m a believer in sticking with the clubs that make you comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went through this recently and ended up at a Club Champion fitting - 6 hour round trip to discover that the old Ping Eye 2+s and Wishons that were in my basement produced solid results for me. The fitter could not find anything new that was better which is pretty amazing when you consider that the Pings are 30+ years old and the Wishons are 15+. We did tweak the shaft is my G25 driver which, if the fitting numbers hold on the course, will make it somewhat more consistent.

Went through this recently and ended up at a Club Champion fitting - 6 hour round trip to discover that the old Ping Eye 2+s and Wishons that were in my basement produced solid results for me. The fitter could not find anything new that was better which is pretty amazing when you consider that the Pings are 30+ years old and the Wishons are 15+. We did tweak the shaft is my G25 driver which, if the fitting numbers hold on the course, will make it somewhat more consistent.
This also points out something I REALLY LIKE about Club Champion. They go by the numbers and if the numbers show you are optimized in your current gamers they won't try to sell you something else. That kind of integrity and commitment to what is best for the customer is way too rarely found and much appreciated.

Currently gaming some Nike VR Pro Combos from 2010 I believe. Each winter in MN I struggle with the age old question, "Should I get fitted again and upgrade my irons?" My wife always says maybe next year, but I feel there is improvement out there. Over 10 years ago I was playing more regularly and was able to hit shots on command pretty much. I love the look and feel of those irons, but with so many good options out there does a person finally bite the bullet and upgrade? Curious if anyone else drives themselves crazy with these thoughts or just want to tell me quit being a d bag and just do it already!

I feel for you! I have been gaming the Ping G20 irons for 10 years and I play 60-70 rounds a year. This winter (in PA) I am drooling over the Mizuno 921 Hot Metal irons and perhaps the Taylormade Sim2 Irons. Being 66 years old distance has suffered, I want more distance and more height on my iron shots. Those Mizuno's look absolutely gorgeous! It's hard to bite the bullet though and go for the new irons. I watched a youtube video testing ping irons every release from the G15's to the latest G425's and the difference was only 5 yards longer for the pro hitting them, :-( .
Should I just go for the Mizuno's? What do you all think? Any recommendations?

10 years is a long time to play the same set of irons and I played a set of Taylormade irons from 1982 through 1999. So much iron goodness out there for a low single digit like yourself. With a proper fitting the new tech will give you another GIR each round. I promise. :)

Last set of clubs I got were in 2010 as well, so yes, the last roughly 5 years I've had those same thoughts as you every winter haha. This sounds like a great time for an upgrade.

Last set of clubs I got were in 2010 as well, so yes, the last roughly 5 years I've had those same thoughts as you every winter haha. This sounds like a great time for an upgrade.
It’s crazy how much time I research and ponder and wonder and question. Hoping I get some solid numbers and can get some new sticks. It will definitely be very sad if I have to put the Nikes into backup role but they’ve treated me well

Check out global golf, they have a program called you try where you can rent a set of clubs for $50. That includes shipping both ways and you can hang on to them for 2 weeks. Make sure you return them before the end of the 2 weeks otherwise they will charge you for the set.. This is how I tried out my ZX 5 for 2 weeks while on vacation , it was Within the 1st few shots on the golf course that I realized I need these clubs

Check out global golf, they have a program called you try where you can rent a set of clubs for $50. That includes shipping both ways and you can hang on to them for 2 weeks. Make sure you return them before the end of the 2 weeks otherwise they will charge you for the set.. This is how I tried out my ZX 5 for 2 weeks while on vacation , it was Within the 1st few shots on the golf course that I realized I need these clubs
That’s an awesome way but live in MN so isn’t ideal to try for 2 weeks right now

Just make sure you use red golf balls in the snow. ;)

Back