Today I did everything wrong on a club build

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Some days my mind just isn’t working right. I had to rebuild my 3W since the shaft splintered on it. A new Pured HZRDUS shaft arrived today and I managed to botch every step. But it’s all good now.
  1. I didn’t have the cutoff wheel set right so i didn’t get a complete cut through. I had to stop and reset the wheel depth
  2. I installed the grip backwards forgetting that the puring mark goes at the 12 o’clock position not the 6 o’clock position. So I had to uninstall the grip abd
  3. The swing weight was 3 grams low and I didn’t have any weights small enough for graphite shafts. So I mixed tungsten powder with epoxy. But I used the quick set stuff so by the time I started to install it into the shaft, it was set up. So I had to remake the epoxy
  4. Not thinking again I installed the shaft 180 deg in the wrong direction lining the pure Mark at 6 o’clocK. Fortunately I realized before the epoxy set
  5. I slipped when turning the ferrule completely flattening one side. So I had to pull the adapter and redo it all

Fortunately it’s all done now and looks great! But man I made a simple repair very hard on myself.

C9604154-B4EA-4524-9FD5-8E20556333E6.jpegF735B555-31AE-4E82-9622-E0EA1CEC9C83.jpegB291562B-982A-4FC1-B4E3-01614B7100EA.jpegC262A828-E9CB-4F9A-93CE-775CE0BCB890.jpeg

I've had those days before, especially with grips. I put on a whole set of grips upside down on my dads clubs because thats how I like mine. Club looks great though!

unless it's math class and you have to show your work
Showing work is stupid. I don't care why you know the right answer... just tell me the right answer

I've had those days before, especially with grips. I put on a whole set of grips upside down on my dads clubs because thats how I like mine. Club looks great though!
Thanks. Hopefully it will perform as well as it looks.

Way to.. stick with it? :LOL:.

That club is now going to dominate on course. It just has to.

Messed up a build myself recently. Turned out to be a pretty incredible mistake.

I'm about to rebuild some Epon blades.

Thinking of buying the equipment to do my own shaft work, I'm sure I'll make more and bigger mistakes than these. 😳

Uhhh, hate to tell you this, but the face of that club is pointing in the wrong direction. :LOL:

Uhhh, hate to tell you this, but the face of that club is pointing in the wrong direction. :LOL:
I tried fixing that but I hit them better this way???

How's the ventilation in your shop? :ROFLMAO:;)

Good job you caught all those in time! Looks good now!

You didn't order the shaft in left handed configuration, did you? See - karma will always get you in the end :cool:

Honestly, I probably would have given up at 2. Good on you for sticking with it.

You didn't order the shaft in left handed configuration, did you? See - karma will always get you in the end :cool:

Honestly, I probably would have given up at 2. Good on you for sticking with it.
No but the pureing was ordered LH!!! I thought it was funny that the wearing was asked.
E0D9823B-AE60-43F5-B90A-6DD081C8C6EE.jpeg

Do you want epoxy and tungsten up the tip of the shaft?
Is it different from a tip weight in how it might move or not move inside?
I ask, as they use rubber plugs quite often at the factory to keep the epoxy out of the shaft tips?

Do you want epoxy and tungsten up the tip of the shaft?
Is it different from a tip weight in how it might move or not move inside?
I ask, as they use rubber plugs quite often at the factory to keep the epoxy out of the shaft tips?
Yes. It’s where the weight goes. Normally I would just use a weight but since the ID is so small, I just mix powder and epoxy and inject it into the tip. It’s not much - just 3 grams.

Yes. It’s where the weight goes. Normally I would just use a weight but since the ID is so small, I just mix powder and epoxy and inject it into the tip. It’s not much - just 3 grams.
I wasn't sure if a tip weight would still "move" inside the shaft tip after install so to speak, versus the epoxy combo.
Do you know why the last tip sheared?

That is an ordeal but sounds like you finally got it right. When it goes bad for me it often gets expensive

Is this perhaps validation for me just making the drive across town and having club guy do it? :LOL:

Is this perhaps validation for me just making the drive across town and having club guy do it? :LOL:
Na. It’s not too hard. The good Jews is that the more you do, the better you become at fixing your mistakes.

Na. It’s not too hard. The good Jews is that the more you do, the better you become at fixing your mistakes.
Do the bad Jews make more mistakes? 😉😱

Do the bad Jews make more mistakes? 😉😱
I don’t know what the deal is but I’ve had nothing but issues with iOS in this forum. It never was an issue until I don’t know a year ago

Back