McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf club companies are always vying for the top spot, but “top spot” doesn’t always mean the same thing. Some hang their hats on sales. Others on clubs in play on tour. Others on innovation. It’s interesting to me that the top spots can be somewhat cyclical, like a game of OEM musical chairs.

Who do you have as the Top 3 OEMs for innovation of product right now? There are no set criteria here, it’s obviously somewhat subjective. But some things to consider:
* Who has the best looking gear?
* Who has the biggest variety of clubs to fit golfers of all abilities and needs?
* Who has the best performing gear for the widest range of golfers?
* Who is creating the most buzz with their recent release(s)?

Some will say “All OEMs are making good clubs right now” which is certainly true. But I do think some are doing it better or at least more interestingly than others.

Who do you have in the Top 3 in the game right now?

Callaway
Titleist
Cleveland/Srixon

Cobra
TaylorMade
Ping

Golf club companies are always vying for the top spot, but “top spot” doesn’t always mean the same thing. Some hang their hats on sales. Others on clubs in play on tour. Others on innovation. It’s interesting to me that the top spots can be somewhat cyclical, like a game of OEM musical chairs.

Who do you have as the Top 3 OEMs for innovation of product right now? There are no set criteria here, it’s obviously somewhat subjective. But some things to consider:
* Who has the best looking gear?
* Who has the biggest variety of clubs to fit golfers of all abilities and needs?
* Who has the best performing gear for the widest range of golfers?
* Who is creating the most buzz with their recent release(s)?

Some will say “All OEMs are making good clubs right now” which is certainly true. But I do think some are doing it better or at least more interestingly than others.

Who do you have in the Top 3 in the game right now?
Very good question. I think for me it would come down to 3 but I think several other are very close.

Callaway- They have a wide range of clubs for all types and have introduced quite a bit of technology over the last few years: Jailbreak, Flash Face, AI, etc.
Cobra- They have a few different irons but then double that with the OL which they are the first to really embrace.
Mizuno- I think what wins it for them here is the large offering of irons. You have several different irons in each line that they have and can do combo sets quite easily. The success with the new drivers and woods are really helping here too.

Oh wow, what a great question.. Things have changed SO much over the last year or two.

Titleist and Mizuno have improved dramatically in their wood and driver space.
Srixon/Cleveland seems to have a product for everyone.
Callaway continues to dominate.
Cobra is challenging.

As you said, this is highly subjective. I've always liked the look of Mizunos. That clean look is top-notch. I also don't think they get enough credit for meeting the needs of a wide range of golfers. As for innovation, Cobra is right up there with the best IMHO. So, I guess my top 3 would be

Mizuno
Cobra
Callaway

Cleveland - I think they are some some great things for woods / hybrid and always solid wedges.

Titleist - Second to none for irons, and not only because I am getting a set but they hit so cleanly and sound good to me.

Callaway - Maker of big Bertha clubs, a great relaunch.

This is a tough question

Taylormade
Srixon
Cobra

Taylormade is always innovating and trying to improve their lineup. Srixons irons this past year were a massive success and it seems they made a big leap in their woods too. Cobra made the most radical attempt in the OLs. Their woods have also gotten popular and their new 3D printed putters are fantastic

Hmmmm....

Titleist
Mizuno
Ping
And my wildcard pick is Srixon

Taylormade
Callaway
Titleist

In no particular order.

In no particular order:

Callaway
Cobra
Cleveland /Srixon

They are producing some the best performing gear for a wide range of golfers. And they seem willing to push the envelope technologically to provide equipment that targets specific golfers rather than a wide range. For example the B21 driver, OL Irons, the new Launcher Halo XL etc.

MIZUNO - Who has the best looking gear?
CALLAWAY/ODYSSEY - Who has the biggest variety of clubs to fit golfers of all abilities and needs?
CALLAWAY/ODYSSEY - Who has the best performing gear for the widest range of golfers?
CALLAWAY/ODYSSEY - Who is creating the most buzz with their recent release(s)?

Callaway seems to be the big dog. But it's all very close. I could name several for variety and range.

Man it's tough.

Callaway - performance and innovation in every single category.
PING - I think when you look at the stability of their drivers and what they offer the higher handicap player with irons, it's impressive
Srixon and Mizuno - both offer amazing looking irons, and their metalwoods dept have been trending in the right direction.
Tour Edge - great performance and better pricing
Cobra - what they've done in terms of tech has been underappreciated for years
Titleist - is just consistent and getting stronger with he TSi line
TaylorMade - They still make one of the best looking and sounding drivers IMO.

So crap...top 3.

Callaway
Titleist
Let Cobra/PING/Taylormade duke it out for 3rd. With Mizuno and Srixon nipping at their heels.

Well the title answer, and 'for innovation of product' answer would be different for me. Strictly along that line:

1. Cobra - They innovate. They mostly innovate right out of anything I'd play, but I don't think anyone can deny they're willing to pursue some extreme ideas to try to help golfers succeed.

2. Srixon/Cleveland - When you look at the entire range of clubs they have out, it's pretty impressive. From very traditional all the way to 'what are we calling that?'.

3. Callaway - Fairway and driver innovation alone I think would put them on the list, and they seem to push a tech idea to the limits once they start on it. A lot of things on the same lines with noticable changes each year to try to maximize or tailor performance.

Like I said though, my best OEM as a whole list would look different, and Mizuno is coming up on the heels of some in terms of innovation imo.

Last edited:
Hard to leave a couple others off the list but sticking to top three, I'd rank them Cobra, TaylorMade, Callaway.

Callaway, Cobra, Taylormade

Oh wow, what a great question.. Things have changed SO much over the last year or two.

Titleist and Mizuno have improved dramatically in their wood and driver space.
Srixon/Cleveland seems to have a product for everyone.
Callaway continues to dominate.
Cobra is challenging.

This is my list almost exactly..

Hard to leave a couple others off the list but sticking to top three, I'd rank them Cobra, TaylorMade, Callaway.

i completely agree, which is really freaking cool for us gear hoes!

Tough pick for sure but I would go

Callaway
Titleist
Cobra

From a playability/price stand point, and being a loyal customer, Tour Edge gets my top spot.

#2 would be Ping, and my #3 would be Callaway.

However, the bottom line is what ever the golfer wants. They all play the same in my book.

i think for me it’s

1- titleist
2- callaway
3- ping

but i could very easily be persuaded to swap 2 and 3. callaway is doing some amazing stuff with their driver tech, but ping still seems to have some magic pixie dust in their wood line that makes it unbelievably playable for a lot of golfers.

the one that i have the hardest time leaving off the list is mizuno. they have something for everybody. their gear looks amazing, probably best in class. and i think they have some buzz unlike anything they’ve had in the past 10, 20 maybe even 30 years.

Callaway to me is the most complete with and has all the bases covered including balls, shoes and clothing
Cobra now that they have putters is 2nd in my book, having Puma clothing/shoes but only lacking balls
Titleist is making waves with equipment as of late, obviously has the balls and tour presence as well.

Callaway to me is the most complete with and has all the bases covered including balls, shoes and clothing
Cobra now that they have putters is 2nd in my book, having Puma clothing/shoes but only lacking balls
Titleist is making waves with equipment as of late, obviously has the balls and tour presence as well.
What the esteemable and learned @jdtox said.

1. Cobra, my whole bag is Cobra for the Morgan Cup
2. Bridgestone, before the Morgan Cup, I had played different Bridgestone irons for a long time
3. Srixon, because I have grown to really like their balls

Back