Tournament handicap question??

fastbasser

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife and I played a 2 person "scramble" or Captain and mate" today. After seeing the handicaps, it was obvious we were in no way competitive as a team. I was told by our Pro they used the "USGA" formula. I asked where I could find it and received no response. . My handicap is 15 while my wife's is 31.. We received 10 strokes. Our opponents were a 12 and a 13. They received 6. It is really obvious their formula really favors the low handicap team. Does this sound correct?

Does anyone know if there is an official USGA formula for this type of tournament??

Thanks in advance.

:drinks:

I would imagine it's associated with the slope differential of the tees you guys played and your overall handicaps, and then a very small percentage of that (as it should be).

I've never heard of the USGA having a specific formula for scrambles though..

I've never heard of this.

I enjoy playing scrambles but never have expectations of winning one where handicaps are factored or "mulligans" can be bought, etc...

Our course owner is a low handicap and always plays with the same. These are suppose to be "fair" for all groups. I am just looking for the guidelines if there are any..

Well, I found out the formula used was as follows.. 35% of my handicap and 15% of my wife's.. Not a good way to play unless you sandbag your butt off or are a real low handicap.

Live and learn.. LOL:drinks:

If its a scramble and for a great cause, it is what it is which is not really golf anyway, just something done on the course that resembles golf to make someone much needed money. I've played many and never worried about whether or not I'd win.

I agreed except it wasn't for a cause. It was for prize money and year end club points. Had I known their formula, I would not have wasted the money..

I agreed except it wasn't for a cause. It was for prize money and year end club points. Had I known their formula, I would not have wasted the money..

If the formula is applied to everyone equally, I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Oh wait...

If the formula is applied to everyone equally, I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Oh wait...

Real easy. Just do the math.

Oh wait...

Kind of where I'm at. It is of course always important to know the format upfront before signing on to play. There are hundreds of formats in golf to make interesting games on the course over just the normal stroke play. Take each format with a grain of salt and then decide if it works for you or not. I play lots of different events, and I skip a few because I don't care for the format. No big deal to me either way. If it is going to make it not fun, I'd say live and learn and skip it next time.

An online scramble handicap calculator seems to agree that the assigned handicaps were correct:
http://www.leaderboard.com/SCRAMBLECAP

So, like I said, if the rules were applied equally to everyone in the field, what was unfair?

I play about 10 charity tournaments per year, which are all hosted at my home club. They are almost all 4-man scrambles, and the team handicap is always half of the average (ie add up the 4 individual handicaps and divide by 8).

An online scramble handicap calculator seems to agree that the assigned handicaps were correct:
http://www.leaderboard.com/SCRAMBLECAP

So, like I said, if the rules were applied equally to everyone in the field, what was unfair?

I found the formula as well. It favors the scratch or low handicap team in a big way .. Not one I would play again with a very high handicapper.. Live and learn..

I found the formula as well. It favors the scratch or low handicap team in a big way .. Not one I would play again with a very high handicapper.. Live and learn..

You don't think that it should? It's a measure to prevent sandbagging.

I think it should just be fair. Better golfers have a more difficult time shooting their handicap.. The 15% of the high handicap player is a killer though when that person has an honest handicap.. I totally agree we have to protect tourneys against sand bagger's though.

I am playing in a couples chapman tourney this weekend with the wife. The handicap system they are using is 1/2 the combined total of the two handicaps and then adjusted to course handicap. So for this tourney, my 3.1 plus the wife's 25.6 = 28.7 divided by 2 = 14.4 - course adjusted to 16.

I am playing in a couples chapman tourney this weekend with the wife. The handicap system they are using is 1/2 the combined total of the two handicaps and then adjusted to course handicap. So for this tourney, my 3.1 plus the wife's 25.6 = 28.7 divided by 2 = 14.4 - course adjusted to 16.

That seems much more fair.. You are not heavily penalized for golfing with your wife..

I think it should just be fair. Better golfers have a more difficult time shooting their handicap.. The 15% of the high handicap player is a killer though when that person has an honest handicap.. I totally agree we have to protect tourneys against sand bagger's though.

In a scramble format it's actually completely logical, since it's not a combined score and your team is likely going to use fewer of the higher handicappers shots.

In a scramble format it's actually completely logical, since it's not a combined score and your team is likely going to use fewer of the higher handicappers shots.

Here is logic.. 2 scratch golfers are going to or should beat a 15 and a 30 handicap by 20 shots..

Here is logic.. 2 scratch golfers are going to or should beat a 15 and a 30 handicap by 20 shots..

You're right. They should beat the other team. Because they're better.

With this being said, you feel it is more important to try and deter sandbagging than have a fair handicap for honest golfers. Somethng is very wrong with this!

With this being said, you feel it is more important to try and deter sandbagging than have a fair handicap for honest golfers. Somethng is very wrong with this!

The handicap that was applied was both fair and deterred sandbagging.

The handicap that was applied was both fair and deterred sandbagging.

Isn't the measure of fairness that if all players play to their 'cap they would tie? If that's correct, pro-rating the indexes so higher cap players count less puts those teams at a competitive disadvantage. I think I'm with the OP on this one. Then again, it is always good to know the rules going into these things...

Isn't the measure of fairness that if all players play to their 'cap they would tie? If that's correct, pro-rating the higher indexed players puts them at a competitive advantage. I think I'm with the OP on this one. Then again, it is always good to know the rules going into these things...

The measure of fairness is whether or not the rules are applied to everyone equally. Unless there were people in the field for whom a different formula was applied, the rule was fair.

Remember that it was a scramble and not a combined score format.

Back