Triton driver ruled nonconforming by USGA

From the article:

The U.S. Golf Association has ruled that Wilson Golf’s new Triton driver, which has been on sale since Nov. 25, is nonconforming under the Rules of Golf.

“The Wilson Staff Triton DVD with the 9-degree loft is listed on the conforming list,” USGA spokeswoman Janeen Driscoll said Dec. 12. “All other submissions of the Triton clubs were determined to be nonconforming to the Rules of Golf.”

The USGA would not specify the reason the club was ruled nonconforming. A retail source said a Wilson employee indicated there was a problem with the Triton’s soleplate.

Remember when it was supposed to be a formality that this club would be approved? Some people are sipping tea right now.

So much for the "shock" stories

Holy crap... how does this even happen!?

Will it be a quick fix and be approved by USGA? Or is it a scrap the whole idea?

From the article:

Remember when it was supposed to be a formality that this club would be approved? Some people are sipping tea right now.

Because people can't be entitled to their opinions that it would have been the case? Enjoy your tea!

As to the matter at hand, THAT is a bummer, while I'm sure they are rapidly looking to fix the sole plate issue, this is a big deal and makes me incredibly sad for W/S because they were ALL genuinely excited about the product.

Now, will it keep me from using my 10.5 head? HELL no it won't. I'm sure it'll be rectified.

Holy crap... how does this even happen!?

Will it be a quick fix and be approved by USGA? Or is it a scrap the whole idea?

Quick fix to be approved, replace the non conforming ones that people bought, and go on from there. Odd they approved the 9 degree head but not the 10.5 though.

WOW. Guess mine will be nonconforming when it comes (I requested a 10.5).

From the way it sounds, only Kevin Streelman's personal driver is conforming. All retail versions will be non-conforming.

"On Dec. 5, the USGA placed one 9-degree Triton driver on its list of conforming clubs, apparently for use by one of its PGA Tour players."

Back to the drawing board? I hit one in DSG on Saturday, it is a nice driver.

if its just a sole plate then I can see this as an easy fix. YOu can get the new sole plate out to already purchased drivers that are not the 9* head.

good thing I only need the 9°, works for me. That's a big blow.

I guess having a club designer that worked for the USGA on the panel, as well as running the tests that the USGA run isn't enough to guarantee conformity.

then again, Nike released a non-conforming driver with the Sumo and then had to go back and fix/replace issues. So while it's a big deal because of how publicly this was done, maybe it's not a deal killer.

Yikes, that's not good. The tv show was a interesting marketing idea but not sure it was worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick fix to be approved, replace the non conforming ones that people bought, and go on from there. Odd they approved the 9 degree head but not the 10.5 though.

So, is the sole plate different on the 9*, in comparison to the 10.5 and 12?

WOW. Guess mine will be nonconforming when it comes (I requested a 10.5).

Also, they didn't certify "all" of the 9 degree versions as conforming, just the one club that was actually used in play. I think something weird was going on.

I guess having a club designer that worked for the USGA on the panel, as well as running the tests that the USGA run isn't enough to guarantee conformity.

Hearing some stories from folks in R&D, there are some crazy things as to why the USGA will rule something non-conforming. And I mean little things like texture.

So, is the sole plate different on the 9*, in comparison to the 10.5 and 12?

No retail version conforms. It's only Streelman's 9* that they made for him that conforms.

Yikes, I hope they get this corrected. I know they waited on the conformity thing to protect the secrecy of it, but may have been the wrong move.

Jeez. That's a buzzkill.

Very interesting...

Pretty disappointing for Wilson.

I am sure it will be a quick fix, and if it's sole plate specific an easy solution in sending plates out to rectify. Just sucks for the momentum they had after a really enjoyable series.

This is not good at all for them!

Back