Trying New Grips?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When is the last time you tried a new grip? I do not mean changing your grips yearly or anything like that, but rather tried a new style vs what you currently use?

Tried Utx when they first came out. Good grip, just couldn’t mentally make the change and get used to the difference.

Even tried SuperStroke’s grip. Those got slick real fast no matter how much I kept them clean. Humidity and grips is hard :/

I play around a fair amount in the Align category.

As part of the THP Forum Testing for the SuperStroke WristLock. To say it was illuminating and interesting would be an understatement. It has earned it's way into my gamer bag for now. It actually inspired me to try out a SuperStroke Tour 3.0 on my other putter, which is shorter, to try to figure out how much of the performance for me is from the WristLock length / lock feature vs the large non tapered shape it shares with the other SuperStroke grips. Will be installing that this week.

I tried cord grips once.......it was terrible.

I just tried a new putter grip a couple weekends ago. Working out pretty good.

Been quite a while since I've had something new to try on the irons.

Over the last year, I went from MCC+4 to MCC and over the last month to Lamkin ST +2 Hybrid.

On wedges, over the last 2 months, went to GP Tour Velvet+4 and we will see how long they last - TV's tend to slick up on me even with maintenance. But so far, so good. Waiting on Lamkin to have more availability on other grips.

Putter - have changed some to GP Tour Classic and Pro Only Chord over the last month.

When the Z cord came out. That is now my go too. When some releases a new cord grip I will give it a go. But that is all I want to play. I had some UTX cords to use up so my bag is kinda half/half UTX cord and z cord.

Well, as I typed this I forgot about putter grips. I have a tried a few of those.. Most recently the Lamkin sink fit and a pro only cord series grip. Both were short lived and I went back to my favorite.

Probably 5 years.
I tried the MCC Plus 4's back then and fell in love with them and have tried nothing else since.

I have a couple of clubs coming with Lamkin Sonar mid sizes. I have been using CP2 Mids but they are out of stock.

Just last week, went from a regular grip (golf pride tour velvet). To a midsize golf pride mcc plus 4. As I was told with my larger hands it would improve my game and misses. Has taken a round so far to get use to but see the dispersion tighten on miss hits

I've had the same grips on my irons since my 712 AP2's. It's been either MCC Plus 4 or tour velvet on my wedges, hybrids, and woods as long as I can remember.

Last year, went with the Lamkin Sonar/Tour and TS1 grips. Ended up really liking all 3 and have had the Sonar on all my irons woods but driver, the Sonar Tour on my driver and the TS1 on my wedges. And almost a full year of use in, they have all held up really really well. Sonars look the same as the day I got them.

Currently use Tour Velvet but experimented with the following in 2020 and 2021.
- Tour Velvet + align
- Concept Helix

Planning for additional experiments in 2022 with the following grips.
- MCC Plus4
- Tour Velvet Plus 4 (think this is going to be a winner!!!)

Went from the MMC to Aligns, now pretty much i have Tour Velvets

Moving from Wynn Excel oversize to Jumbomax Small.. Both are good for my arthritic hands, but the Jumbomax really seems to be a positive change. I feel like I have much better control with the larger grip.

Been thinking about trying a new style on my irons and woods recently. I have MCCs on them currently and while I love them, with all the practicing I've been doing, they do a good job at tearing your hands up. That may be normal because like I said, I've been on the range three times a week (which I never used to do). So all this swinging is new territory. Though the MCCs are harsher compared to something like Tour Velvets.

Putter grip has been switched like five times this season already. Settled on the Tour SNSR Straight 140cc currently and am a big fan

Tried a new putter grip earlier this year - went smaller and it was no bueno.... quickly went back to my trusty Traxion Pistol GT 2.0...

I have a preference but will look at others that come out. I am constantly trying new grips in the style I like or a new series of the type.

Just recently switched to the GP micro suedes from the MCC grips. I like the softer feel and my hands not getting torn up. My putter grip is staying put no need to change that.

I tend to try new grips one at a time on a wedge or driver to see if I like them. That is how I found the Lamkin Sonar Tours that I am currently playing. I haven't started looking around yet for my next set of grips.

Experimented with Midsize and that was a mistake. I've got the Lamkin Crossline Plus Wrap on my Hogans right now, and will be getting the CP2 Wrap on my Titleist when they are finished next month.

I swore by corded grips, and last season I got a set of Lamkin TS1 in my holiday grab bag, and I have really enjoyed those as well. They have been less harsh on my hands, which was a very welcome improvement.

Last Thursday placed z cord midsize on my driver, 7 iron, and gap wedge. Hang not played yet, but looking forward playing singer than later. This is birthday 2 weeks here and then a work trip to San Diego.

Swing clubs: 2019 when I landed on MCC +4
Putter: last year with Golf Pride Pro Only putter grip.

Back