provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
"Multiple reports say Tiger Woods will end his 'indefinite' leave from the PGA Tour and return to action at the Accenture Match Play Championship in two weeks in Tucson, Ariz."

So reports Mick Elliott a writer for Golf Fan House on AOL. He also goes on to say these reports are not substantiated. I guess it's still a wait and see scenario.

I doubt Tiger would play at an Accenture sponsored tournament. I doubt they would want him too.

GREAT! that is awesome. I hope this is true I haven't heard it anywhere else yet.

I doubt they would want him too.

Im pretty sure they would want him in it. The numbers it would draw would be huge.

Im pretty sure they would want him in it. The numbers it would draw would be huge.

From a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense for them. They built an image around him and as soon as they dropped him - he was erased as though he never existed. Accenture doesn't want any connection to Tiger.

Agreed, if it's indeed true. The gossips also say Elin has gotten rid of her divorce attorney. So who knows.

What's funny, is that if this is true and he's going to play, it's another time Tiger should have stepped up and announced it instead of another thing being leaked out.

Agreed, if it's indeed true. The gossips also say Elin has gotten rid of her divorce attorney. So who knows.

What's funny, is that if this is true and he's going to play, it's another time Tiger should have stepped up and announced it instead of another thing being leaked out.

+1 There's no majr downside that I can see from having Tiger come back at an event he's done well in before. I'm sure Accenture won't mind seeing him around as much once the $$ starts solling in from tickets, concessions, merchandise, etc.

You guys do know that Accenture asked all of their employees to take down every Tiger ad in all of their offices and stop wearing any Accenture clothing with Tiger on it - right? They did everything possible to get billboards down. They don't want any association with him. This is different than AT&T dropping him. Accenture built their entire image around Tiger and he was the spokesperson for 6 years. After his fall from grace - they did everything in their power to erase that overnight. If he decides to play it - I could see Accenture playing hardball with the PGA to keep him out.

They can't keep him out if he wants to start 2010 there. At least I don't think they can. Plus TW just might have a couple of thoughts. One might be, thanks for the past support, I owe you this one. Or, perhaps this might be a get even, slap in the face for dropping him in first place. There is nothing to suggest that these sponsors who dropped him won't pick him back up sometime in the future. Once his popularity climbs, and it will, he will be a marketable commodity again.

Plus match play allows him some room for error, and other baggage during his return when compared to stroke play. Mickleson won't be there, so another marquee name would be nice to have. Plus I think (might be wrong) this is where he started last year after the knee rehab time off.
From a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense for them. They built an image around him and as soon as they dropped him - he was erased as though he never existed. Accenture doesn't want any connection to Tiger.

If he decides to play it - I could see Accenture playing hardball with the PGA to keep him out.

This is so wrong on so many levels. First of all, they do want him to play in it. So does the PGA and just about everybody else in the golf industry. Second of all it makes no difference what their personal thoughts are, or what they based their model after, it is not their choice. And lastly, if you really believe that a company of this size based their model on a professional athlete, you are sorely mistaken.

If he decides to play it - I could see Accenture playing hardball with the PGA to keep him out.

Accenture may not appreciate his return at this event, but I don't think there is much they could do about it. It's a Wolrd Golf Match Play event where the top 64 players in the World Golf Rankings are automatically entered unless they choose not to play.

I also think that not many people think of Tiger being an 'Accenture guy.' He'll always be associated with Nike first...

This is so wrong on so many levels. First of all, they do want him to play in it. So does the PGA and just about everybody else in the golf industry. Second of all it makes no difference what their personal thoughts are, or what they based their model after, it is not their choice. And lastly, if you really believe that a company of this size based their model on a professional athlete, you are sorely mistaken.

Accenture tied their brand to the Tiger brand. You can't tell me that they didn't do that.

Accenture tied their brand to the Tiger brand. You can't tell me that they didn't do that.

So did 20 other brands. Yet they all want him to return. Because with his return could be the biggest ratings in golf history.

So did 20 other brands. Yet they all want him to return. Because with his return could be the biggest ratings in golf history.

I agree with JB here, the day this man walks back onto the course will be a tv rating record

Not in the same way or to the same extent. The other brands sold themselves. Accenture sold Tiger.

I don't care who sponsors the event, if Tiger Woods is not currently playing they WISH he was. If he comes back for this event it will be a HUGE HUGE HUGE increase in the viewers, I don't care if Tiger had the wife of the Accenture CEO's on his list of women, they WANT him to play in this. Period end of story.

Now....whether or not it's true, I kinda doubt it, but wouldn't be completely shocked I guess.

I don't care who sponsors the event, if Tiger Woods is not currently playing they WISH he was. If he comes back for this event it will be a HUGE HUGE HUGE increase in the viewers, I don't care if Tiger had the wife of the Accenture CEO's on his list of women, they WANT him to play in this. Period end of story..

Help me to understand why you would say this. Aside from a few more viewers - what would Accenture gain from Tiger playing?

Viewers and that is it Diane. Clearly that is what drives the success or failure of an event on the PGA tour. I promise you they want him in and it's all about the viewers, nothing else.

Not in the same way or to the same extent. The other brands sold themselves. Accenture sold Tiger.

That is NOT EVEN CLOSE to reality. Nike did not for the sake of argument even have golf before TW. Accenture sponsors an event to get name recognition. Plain and simple. Nobody will attract more people than him to that name.

Help me to understand why you would say this. Aside from a few more viewers - what would Accenture gain from Tiger playing?

Why sponsor a tournament at all if you are not trying to gain viewership. Accenture is just like every other company. More people to see their name. TW does that and if you want to assume or think that because they modeled their consulting biz after his life, than so be it.

Viewers and that is it Diane. Clearly that is what drives the success or failure of an event on the PGA tour. I promise you they want him in and it's all about the viewers, nothing else.

I understand that, but I don't think you're looking at the big picture. Here is what I see -
Accenture lost major money by betting on Tiger.
Tiger was basically fired by Accenture.

I don't see Accenture wanting him there based on the past failed relationship and why would Tiger want to play in the Accenture?

Hey - you guys can all say I told you so if I'm wrong.

That is NOT EVEN CLOSE to reality. Nike did not for the sake of argument even have golf before TW. Accenture sponsors an event to get name recognition. Plain and simple. Nobody will attract more people than him to that name.

Then count me wrong with the NY Times, WSJ and every advertising trade out there. I think you are looking at this event in a vacuum.

Then count me wrong with the NY Times, WSJ and every advertising trade out there. I think you are looking at this event in a vacuum.

No, I think you are looking at it in a vacuum from the ad perspective rather than the global position. Not one of those publications you mention has a quote that I have seen from Accenture or TW, so just like most of their stuff, its commentary and fluff.

See you're right, but how could Accenture recoup some of that lost revenue? They could have the most watched sporting event ever, that's one way! Imagine the $$$ signs if Tiger comes back and just like typical Tiger fashion rocks his way into the finals or semis on the weekend. CHA-CHING and Accenture would be smiling the entire time!

You are seeing it as a personal thing. Accenture did not hire him as a personal friend. They hired him because his name sells ratings and more people find out about him. Just like a tourny would do. Why sponsor a tournament if you do not want higher ratings?

Back