Up and Coming DTC Brands

golfs_happy

Learning the ropes
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The rise of DTC brands is one that I really have loved, enjoyed and followed as closely as possible. It seems like each and every day I am being introduced or finding a new DTC brands.

Of course there are some of the mainstays or leaders in the market with Sub 70, Takomo, New Level and others. However smaller brands like Indi golf, Argolf, Toura Golf, Caley, Gimar, SMR and many others have all grabbed my attention for one reason or another.

What are some smaller DTC brands you have found or think could make the next leap?

Never paid them much attention. If I cant at least hit them, much less try different shafts and such before making up my mind, I'm not spending my money.

Never paid them much attention. If I cant at least hit them, much less try different shafts and such before making up my mind, I'm not spending my money.
Many of them have trial options and I've seen others have pop up shops to do fittings etc.

What do you consider being the next leap?

What do you consider being the next leap?
I guess by leap for the lesser or little know to getting into the Sub 70 or Takomo recognition Level.

I wouldn't say many leaps on technology. The budget is tough there, which is why I think they excel in making great irons, wedges and putters, but woods while solid still seem to be a half step behind on one area or another.

Maybe that's it? A driver that truly has everything a big company has and hits on all levels and tech.

Haywood may be the closest with their lineup, even tho I can't hit any yet.

I will be honest. This is a space that I have not really followed closely. There are names that I know, but I do not follow them all that closely.

played a couple of sets of the Sub70's with my favorites being the 659TC's. haven't given any of the others a go. i think the DTC space is pretty crowded already.

I guess by leap for the lesser or little know to getting into the Sub 70 or Takomo recognition Level.

I wouldn't say many leaps on technology. The budget is tough there, which is why I think they excel in making great irons, wedges and putters, but woods while solid still seem to be a half step behind on one area or another.

Maybe that's it? A driver that truly has everything a big company has and hits on all levels and tech.

Haywood may be the closest with their lineup, even tho I can't hit any yet.
Fair answer…just wanted to make sure we weren’t thinking the next leap was being in the bag of a top tour player haha

I think you see some good DTC irons out there. Some are seemingly blanks that are tweaked for their design language, which is fine. I thought the new level stuff several years ago was really good in looks, performance, and feel. @Jman and I had some LogicalOne stuff in 2022(I think) and those irons I had were fine. They’ve expanded their line since then as well.

When I think of a DTC brand that really pushed for that next leap I was thinking of Hogan. Along their lines they pushed from irons and wedges to a full lineup and got into Club Champion.

Golfworks/Maltby myriad of heads/myriad of shafts/myriad of grips...pick em and they build for free. Lot of quality stuff.

played a couple of sets of the Sub70's with my favorites being the 659TC's. haven't given any of the others a go. i think the DTC space is pretty crowded already.
I have the raw 659TC as well. Migrated away mainly due to my own lack of confidence with them. I did also note that the 9 iron top line was significantly thicker than the others. in my set.

It's interesting because i feel like they fit a space in the market , but it's not a perfect fit. A brand like Sub70 for example offers a lot of cool little options like various finishes, the heads are actually quite appealing (the 659CB honestly is one of the nicest players cavity looks wise IMO) and the price is several hundred dollars less than a mainstream OEM

However who is their target customer? They have less fitting options than the big guys so for serious players with the money, it's a tough ask. And for more cost conscious good players, you still have to get around that most won't be able to hit before buying.

I feel like DTC brands would be more succesful if they targeted beginners (like Kirkland style irons )

But this seems to be a passion project for many, and they don't want to make these types of irons.

Other than PXG who has had genuine success, many seems to fall into a small niche

Fair answer…just wanted to make sure we weren’t thinking the next leap was being in the bag of a top tour player haha

I think you see some good DTC irons out there. Some are seemingly blanks that are tweaked for their design language, which is fine. I thought the new level stuff several years ago was really good in looks, performance, and feel. @Jman and I had some LogicalOne stuff in 2022(I think) and those irons I had were fine. They’ve expanded their line since then as well.

When I think of a DTC brand that really pushed for that next leap I was thinking of Hogan. Along their lines they pushed from irons and wedges to a full lineup and got into Club Champion.
For sure. While we see a few guys on tour playing the odd club or set I would agree in that is just likely not going to happen. Would be happy to be proven wrong, but much align with you there.

Hogan coming back will be interesting. I just hope now that they are owned by the same company that owns Zebra, MacGregor and someone else it sticks. I am a lefty so rarely catered to in their sets, but still loved the look and appeal of the PTX irons etc.

I know some consider PXG DTC, but I figure they have kinda moved beyond that.

There are definitely some sets that look and are named in awfully similar fashion. Likely very small subtle tweaks, but I would agree there are some copy and paste models out there. That being said if it gets new people invested and into the game easier then I am all for it!

PXG, Yes I know they are very Polarizing here on THP because of their Advertising mostly (I think).
Their equipment is pretty good and their pricing model doesn't seem as crazy as it did a few years ago.
They are also becoming a All in One vendor. You can get an entire bag including putter from them.

For sure. While we see a few guys on tour playing the odd club or set I would agree in that is just likely not going to happen. Would be happy to be proven wrong, but much align with you there.

Hogan coming back will be interesting. I just hope now that they are owned by the same company that owns Zebra, MacGregor and someone else it sticks. I am a lefty so rarely catered to in their sets, but still loved the look and appeal of the PTX irons etc.

There are definitely some sets that look and are named in awfully similar fashion. Likely very small subtle tweaks, but I would agree there are some copy and paste models out there. That being said if it gets new people invested and into the game easier then I am all for it!

PXG technically still is DTC. Like, my club doesn't have an account with them or anything and you can't buy them in stores.

But i know what you mean. They are the obvious answer but it just seems too obvious that OP probably meant more the Sub70s and Takomos

There's like 10-15 people at my club now who play PXG

Absolutely agree to your last point. I have no issue with that at all.

PXG technically still is DTC. Like, my club doesn't have an account with them or anything and you can't buy them in stores.

But i know what you mean. They are the obvious answer but it just seems too obvious that OP probably meant more the Sub70s and Takomos

There's like 10-15 people at my club now who play PXG
I have played a 2 irons of theirs and the original 0211 driver when it went on that crazy deal last year? Was a solid club, loved the look of it however was just a tad too spinny... well I spun it too much compared to the others I was trying it along side. Ended up selling it for essentially what I paid for it.

I know their marketing and such is poloarizing at best. The product seems to be pretty solid and prices a lot more practical. Their whole transformation has been pretty spectacular actually.

Thanks all so far for tossing out a few other names as there are a few i had never heard of before!

I have played a 2 irons of theirs and the original 0211 driver when it went on that crazy deal last year? Was a solid club, loved the look of it however was just a tad too spinny... well I spun it too much compared to the others I was trying it along side. Ended up selling it for essentially what I paid for it.

I know their marketing and such is poloarizing at best. The product seems to be pretty solid and prices a lot more practical. Their whole transformation has been pretty spectacular actually.

Thanks all so far for tossing out a few other names as there are a few i had never heard of before!

I have 2 full PXG bags and they are pretty nice. The 0317ST set is gorgeous and one of the best feeling irons i have hit. Their woods were fine for me, average.

Parsons using his own voice in commercials is a bold move. He sounds like Magruff the crime dog. "Ruff ruff, play my irons , ruff ruff!"

Yeah it's weird, their pricing model is all over the place. At one point a couple of years back they had a single wedge selling for more than a set of their 0211 blades. LOL

But the 0211 blades for like 799 CAD was an absolute steal

@Jman and I had some LogicalOne stuff in 2022(I think) and those irons I had were fine. They’ve expanded their line since then as well.
I very much appreciated the review and feedback. 🙏🏼😊 And yes, I’ve expanded quite a bit and will continue to for this year. I’ve also changed my business model and offer heads only. Had to get back to my roots. 😊

I don’t know a thing about these brands outside the threads I find here. At my age I’m trying to keep old brands I know going. I order a ton of things online. I don’t know my club specs so would be unsure how to build the clubs

Last edited:
I’ve seen a few people playing Stix Golf clubs

I personally do not pay any attention to them. I don't trust any of their products to have any meaningful R&D behind them.

I'll stick to OEM's that I know and trust to spend my hard earned money on.

I’ve seen a few people playing Stix Golf clubs

If their testing robot isn't named "Mr Roboto" than nothing in the world makes sense

Back