1860VS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Brain
I am in Michigan, and usually along the coastal Great Lakes. Wind can be an issue quite often. As much as I love my 7 & 9 woods, there are many days I just don't want the high launch and backspin they give me without sitting on the knifes edge of trying to keep woods with the weight so far back down and dirty. I need a 17* or so forgiving, but low offset utility iron. I'll be heading to Carl's early next week, but I'm just going to hit myself and pick one., no fitting, but I will consult with one of their excellent floor people. I would appreciate some input as to what " 2 iron like utility they make that both forgiving and has low offset. ( if I miss, it's a bad hook) thanks.

I have the Cobra King Tec Utility 3i. I bought this on a whim to replace my 3h and I absolutely love it. Very long and pretty forgiving. It doesn’t look too offset in my opinion. They do make a 2i so that would fit what you’re looking for.

I can say I love my Srixon U85 4,5,6 iron in all weather and turf types. Had heard the newest ZX Ute was fantastic. Me being Chea...Frugal I checked prior gen U85s and found they were well liked too. Picked up all 3 on Ebay without testing them and glad I did. These Utes are so workable. The 4 iron will just rip thru the wind or fly high if you tee it up. Are there better...maybe. But why spend big and realize muscle irons aren't for you.Screenshot_20220715-203105_eBay.jpg

Srixon ZX, Mizuno FliHi Callaway UTs are still out there to be had. Maybe even the Callaway on their pre owned site. If it says like new it’s actually new condition

17 low offset forgiving.. That's a tougher trio than most. The C722 is 17, looks pretty good, seems forgiving. Fli-hi 2 comes in at 16.5 and is pretty forgiving. Offset is pretty good and it looks real nice bent weak. Mine paired with a tensei white almost completely, and annoyingly, refuses to go left.

So far the SIM DHY has been working out well for me.

I have the cobra king utility iron w/ the UST LIN-Q m40x shaft.... lethal low flight combo.... favorite club in my bag

My 3UI C722 with a XS Tensei White has a wee bit of offset, but struggles to hook as it also tends to be my miss. Pretty forgiving and honestly one of my favorite clubs.

A players distance or GI 3i would cover everything but the offset. I hook hybrids but don’t hook my PXG Gen 3 0311XP 3i (17*).

I just picked the Taylormade P-790 udi 2i used today. 1st range session was solid, it’s (somewhat) forgiving for what it is and was producing beautiful low bullets when I swung smooth. If I tried getting on it too much it would peel off right. So far, impressed.

33f0bc0625740ffbf49313111b9c3336.jpg

14148ce301e4134437e8e94a2fa0231a.jpg

A players distance or GI 3i would cover everything but the offset. I hook hybrids but don’t hook my PXG Gen 3 0311XP 3i (17*).
I also have gone down this route with a Mizuno JPX921 HMP 4 iron which is 19°.
It gets fantastic distance and is very accurate compared to the utilities I tried.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Loved the look of the U500 which comes in at 17° in the 2i. Doesn’t have a ton of offset but not sure how forgiving it is compared to what you’re looking for

I’ve tried at least a dozen. My favorites are the newest cobra or Callaway x forged.

Love the cobra utility 2 at 17.5*

Callaway x forged.
I was going to say that one except for the forgiving part. It'll definitely beat the wind and looks great over the ball, but it's not the most forgiving.

I just picked the Taylormade P-790 udi 2i used today. 1st range session was solid, it’s (somewhat) forgiving for what it is and was producing beautiful low bullets when I swung smooth. If I tried getting on it too much it would peel off right. So far, impressed.

33f0bc0625740ffbf49313111b9c3336.jpg

14148ce301e4134437e8e94a2fa0231a.jpg
Have to second this one. Have the '17 version and nothing has kicked it out of the bag...yet. Going to hit the new version and trying to find a flihi to hit. The Tensei raw white it's paired with helps make it a great combo. My backup version has the hazardous in it.

I picked up a NOS Tour Edge CBX 19/3 and it is working nicely both off the tee and off the grass.

I have a Sub 70 699U utility iron. It is an excellent utility iron in both a pro and regular version.I tried qunite a few of the ones from the big OEMs and didn’t hit any nearly as well. Contact their customer service they are very good at helping get the right setup for you over the phone.

I also have gone down this route with a Mizuno JPX921 HMP 4 iron which is 19°.
It gets fantastic distance and is very accurate compared to the utilities I tried.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
I play T300's, I hit the 20 degree 4 iron very well, High and long. Sometimes too high. Hence statement I'm looking for a 17 degree or so. My kid has the 921's and kills his 4 iron as well......... My old 1 iron was 15 degrees, 2 was 18 and the three was 21. I carried the one iron , a 5 wood and the 3 iron....

I’ve got a hole between my 5W and 4i I just can’t seem to fill. Hybrid just ain’t giving me the warm and fuzzys anymore and I’m gonna go down the UI rabbit hole next.

Had a thought….

Are these UI’s along the lines of UW as far as “replacement” goes? I.E. is a 4UI going to fly like a 3i or a 4i? Are they “one for one”?

If that makes sense…

Had a thought….

Are these UI’s along the lines of UW as far as “replacement” goes? I.E. is a 4UI going to fly like a 3i or a 4i? Are they “one for one”?

If that makes sense…
Utility will be lower flighted, due to CG location though the size differences. Plus, contrary to the internet, utilities irons in low lofts are not as easy to hit as hybrids or fairways for the overwhelming majority of golfers.

I play a 19 degree UW into a 20 degree utility because the distance gaps as it needs to due to difference in launch and ball speed potential on average strikes between the two.

Utility will be lower flighted, due to CG location though the size differences. Plus, contrary to the internet, utilities irons in low lofts are not as easy to hit as hybrids or fairways for the overwhelming majority of golfers.

I play a 19 degree UW into a 20 degree utility because the distance gaps as it needs to due to difference in launch and ball speed potential on average strikes between the two.

So if I’m looking to replace a 3i, the order of “easiness” would go:

Lofted wood
Hybrid
Utility Iron
3i

Maybe?

So if I’m looking to replace a 3i, the order of “easiness” would go:

Lofted wood
Hybrid
Utility Iron
3i

Maybe?
MAYBE. Then skill level comes in, but also exactly what you want in that spot. Gonna hit it into greens? Then which gives you the easiest peak and descent becomes paramount. Mainly a tee club? Then flatter and faster is what most look for.

In the end, it’s all personal, which makes it hard to give the perfect answer. Damn this game. 🤣

MAYBE. Then skill level comes in, but also exactly what you want in that spot. Gonna hit it into greens? Then which gives you the easiest peak and descent becomes paramount. Mainly a tee club? Then flatter and faster is what most look for.

In the end, it’s all personal, which makes it hard to give the perfect answer. Damn this game. 🤣

Damn is right! It’s a funky spot in my bag right now. TM Rescue 4 has been useless unless I want a surprise hook.

Back