Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show and this is episode 199. Hosted by Dan Edwards, each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today, Brandon Sowell from Volvik Golf joins the show to discuss who exactly is Volvik Golf and how their engineering is taking on fun and performance.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Dan and Brandon dive into all things Volvik including the many patents the company has behind them. This show has a lot going on and is one you will not want to miss as Brandon Sowell goes Off Course.

Episode 199 is here and Dan and Brandon discuss the following topics.

Making Golf Balls Since 1991
Volvik Engineered for Serious Fun
The Volvik R&D Facility
Matte Finishes, Bizmuth and Zirconium
Partnerships
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode. If you get a chance, drop us a review wherever you listen from and let others know what you think of the show and/or channel.

Volvik Engineered for Fun

Continue reading...

Oh this is awesome it drops a bit earlier to listen during my morning prep.

That's a super interesting fact early on. Only one outside of Japan/US, never even thought about that.

Huh, never had any idea that matte / bright spin differences. It makes sense that finishes can make slight changes but I didn't think about it.

On to my listen list for the drive tomorrow!

Just finished it, great episode @Canadan thanks for sharing a lot of the behind the brand with us.

Huh, never had any idea that matte / bright spin differences. It makes sense that finishes can make slight changes but I didn't think about it.
It’s why I won’t play matte balls.

Looking forward to diving in here.

This should be a good one, very curious about what appears to be a Volvik resurgence

You have my interest with bismuth and zirconium. I’ll give this a listen today.

This should be a good one, very curious about what appears to be a Volvik resurgence
There is a great in depth talk about the different offerings. The gentleman knows his way around a fly high to victory ball.

Hearing the matte finish is discussion is really interesting. I think that's the type of thing that consumers want to know from company engagement/marketing.

I will say the talk about the smoothness of the Volvik matte is spot on. They are very smooth in hand. It took Brandon a minute to find the right word to describe how their competitor's feel in hand and I can relate. I have settled on "powdery". Almost like you can feel a small amount of residue at times.

Hearing the matte finish is discussion is really interesting. I think that's the type of thing that consumers want to know from company engagement/marketing.

Almost like you can feel a small amount of residue at times.
I described them as rigid, but powdery might be a better way to say it. I really enjoyed that part of the pod and the way Brandon broke it down by comparison

I described them as rigid, but powdery might be a better way to say it. I really enjoyed that part of the pod and the way Brandon broke it down by comparison
I'd love to see a urethane matte ball from them one of these days.

This ball has always intrigued me. So I'll be giving this a listen later. 👍

The conversation about metal integrated into the core is wild.
I just heard that as well. Now white carbon in the core. I honestly want to try some at some point this year

Great listen as I knew practically nothing about the brand other than I thought they were a long drive ball.

I just heard that as well. Now white carbon in the core. I honestly want to try some at some point this year
We'll have to make that happen in a couple weeks.

Anyone else surprised by how long they have been making golf balls, and the amount of tech they have/own?
I'm honestly shocked. I haven't finished the whole episode yet but until recently I had no idea they made their own balls or any of it. The fact that they are #2 in Korea is a pretty big deal

I can’t wait to tune into this later. I’ve been very impressed with what I’ve experienced with Volvik this year.

After listening to this this morning, I packed up some XT Softs for my rounds coming up.

After listening to this this morning, I packed up some XT Softs for my rounds coming up.
I'm bringing the dozen Crystal Combi that I have to the WWG Championship

I’m about to jump into this one and I CANNOT wait!

Back