We Don't Hit it as Far as We Think?

Everyone obviously thinks that they hit it further than they do. 195 is hard to believe though. I get that with a 6 iron off of a 10.

Been playing for almost a year and have only played on course 4 times, but generally speaking for all of my clubs, I'm surprised how much further some of my shots go on the course compared to the range.

Wait, so you're telling me that I don't hit it 405 yards?

Are they taking into account in those 195 yd averages, the 2x per round that a 13 hdcp'er either tops one 100 yards, pulls it 45° right into an adjoining fairway or catches that tree that promptly drops his ball at the 89 yard mark???
Drop 300 yards off normal drives from some aspect listed above and you go from 195 to 215....

I think this is the mitigating factor to this article and makes the 195 yard average fairly realistic. I don't have an official handicap so I don't know if i am above or below a 13 handicap but I average mid 80's for score and have days where I hit my driver great and days where I hit it poorly. When striking the driver poorly it is because I get steep coming into the ball and either pop it up or hit a big pull, either way both swings result in drives that don't go very far at all. So I could see easily where a 150yard pop up or the pull that went out of play 80 yards off the tee would average out the 250yard bomb.

Back