Wedge game is bad

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
At one time not too long ago I would have considered my wedge game a strength. Not anymore. I don’t know what happened but man, I am not comfortable with a wedge anymore. I don’t know if it is the wedges themselves or my swing (probably the swing) but from 100 yards in and around the green I just feel like I have no clue what I am doing..

Are you trying to step on them? Finesse too much?

What sort of contact are we seeing?

Welcome to the club. If anyone needs tips on blading or chunking wedge shots, hit me up!

I completely relate to this- I realize it's early in the season for me but it's a bad feeling to have.

I’ll help good people. I give up on lost causes 😘
New Girl I Give Up GIF

Are you trying to step on them? Finesse too much?

What sort of contact are we seeing?
Sometime maybe good sometimes maybe ****. lol

Usually contact in decent. Or feels decent. Just no control. I try not to hit wedges hard anymore.

Man I know those feels. I found myself using the grind on the hosel more than I needed. Thank goodness I’ve focused on that part of my game over the last few months while working on swing changes and my wedge game is a freaking strength. I’ve dialed in where if I need to hit a certain number I’m coming damn close to it.

Keep grinding and get back to the basics.

Man I know those feels. I found myself using the grind on the hosel more than I needed. Thank goodness I’ve focused on that part of my game over the last few months while working on swing changes and my wedge game is a freaking strength. I’ve dialed in where if I need to hit a certain number I’m coming damn close to it.

Keep grinding and get back to the basics.
I am hoping it is just long winter rust but everything just feels off..

Sometime maybe good sometimes maybe ****. lol

Usually contact in decent. Or feels decent. Just no control. I try not to hit wedges hard anymore.
Wonder if you’re just thinking about it all too much if your contact is decent? Maybe just drop a few balls near an empty green when no one is out there and just kinda hit shots?

Wonder if you’re just thinking about it all too much if your contact is decent? Maybe just drop a few balls near an empty green when no one is out there and just kinda hit shots?
This is a good thought. And buy new wedges 😂

Sometimes with good gone bad, the arm and grip pressure on touch shots get too strong?

On many of these shots set up / ball position, accelerating through the ball, etc, are really important. Now standard chip shots from the first cut…I’m lost.

Try an Edison wedge?

Take a step back, start hitting quality chip shots.

Once satisfied with your chipping, move farther from the green and hit pitch shots.

Once satisfied with your longer pitches, move farther a way, and hit longer approach shots.

The idea is the shorter shots make learning the longer shots easier.

This is what works for me when my green side goes bad. Usually takes to 2-3 days to get things right.

Distance control with wedges is all all motor learning, and motor learning is perishable. You probably won't be clean-whiffing the golf ball any time soon, but a winter without practice will cause you to lose that sharp edge.

If your low point and contact are good, the best thing you can do is go pitch some balls. Hit some to stock distances, and hit some to random targets just on feel. Amount of practice is more important than specific practice. That feel will start coming back.

At one time not too long ago I would have considered my wedge game a strength. Not anymore. I don’t know what happened but man, I am not comfortable with a wedge anymore. I don’t know if it is the wedges themselves or my swing (probably the swing) but from 100 yards in and around the green I just feel like I have no clue what I am doing..
I was there a few months ago. 130 down to 50 i was perfectly comfortable, then trash. Just seemed like a funk and eventually worked itself out.

I’ll be that guy because I care….

How much practice lately? Haha

Saw a pro tip somewhere on how pros set their feet towards the target more on pitches and short approaches. The front foot is at a 45* to the target and the back foot is a little past square towards the target also. I've adopted this setup and it has helped with rotating through contact.

I’ll be that guy because I care….

How much practice lately? Haha
Great question. Not enough. At least not enough quality practice. It’s hard to replicate actual play at times with facilities available.

Back