carolinaborn82

Reaction score
Just got new Callaway XR OS irons. The PW is set at 44°. They did not come with a SW, so I am using my old Taylormade R7 SW. It is set at 55°. What would be the best way to go about filling in those gaps?

44* - I believe that's called a 9 iron :) just kidding- my ping I pitching wedge is 45* I ended up going 50, 55 and 60 vokeys. Most prefer 4* gaps but I'm fine with 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get xr gap wedge

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would probably go with a 50* to keep a somewhat consistent gap if you wanted to keep your 55*. If it was me though I would upgrade my wedges to narrow the gapping to around 4*

Depends on what you want to use where. Too often people get caught up having certain degree gaps between wedges and you end up with a wedge that you never use taking a spot away in the bag from a club you could actually be using.

Good point. Definitely something to think about.
Depends on what you want to use where. Too often people get caught up having certain degree gaps between wedges and you end up with a wedge that you never use taking a spot away in the bag from a club you could actually be using.

Yeah, 44° seems strong. But I guess that's the wave of the future.
44* - I believe that's called a 9 iron :) just kidding- my ping I pitching wedge is 45* I ended up going 50, 55 and 60 vokeys. Most prefer 4* gaps but I'm fine with 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go 45, 50, 54, 58

I love my Callaway XR Pro 50* Gap. My other Wedges are 45, 55 and 60. Carry yardages are 90, 108, 123, and 136.

It depends on the wedge and what kind of distance you get from them. My PW is 45 and I bought a 50, 54 and 58 to go with it. I found the 50 (about 110 carry) was a lot closer to the 54 than the 45 in actual carry distance. Had it bent to 48 and it got me to the 118 distance I was looking for. The carry distances of my 4 wedges now go 130, 118, 105, 92.

I almost never take full wedge shots anyways. Doubt I try to hit my PW over 130 more than 2 or 3 times a year and 126 is my money range for a PW

I have a 54° Vokey that I could switch out my 55° SW for. That would close in my gaps a little. Definitely don't need a 54° and a 55° in my bag. Then put a 50° between my PW and SW. and a 58° or 60° to round out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Does the OS set offer a GW? You might want to get that, and go with your SW after that.

When I played a set with a 44 PW, I went 48-52-56 in the wedges.

I have the Cobra Amp Cells and the PW is 44 degrees and I play a 48 52 and 56. Great set up for me.

i would recommend a set gap wedge. i think it will approximate the gapping with your other irons better than a gap wedge like your vokey.

It depends on the wedge and what kind of distance you get from them. My PW is 45 and I bought a 50, 54 and 58 to go with it. I found the 50 (about 110 carry) was a lot closer to the 54 than the 45 in actual carry distance. Had it bent to 48 and it got me to the 118 distance I was looking for. The carry distances of my 4 wedges now go 130, 118, 105, 92.

Sox Fan's setup illustrates an issue that can arise when one transitions from a set wedge to a traditional wedge. I'm a big proponent of set gap or "A" (or "D" or "U" or whatever that make calls them) wedges, especially in max game improvement sets, such as the XR OS. Don't pay too much attention to the lofts of the set wedges, just figure out how far you can carry the last club in your set then work from there.

Sox Fan's set does not have a gap wedge option, so he needed to get a little creative with traditional wedges to get his gaps nailed down. Yours does have a gap wedge option, and I highly recommend it. You may be surprised at how versatile the set gap wedge can be on both full and partial shots. FTR, my prior set of irons had a PW at 44*, a gap wedge at 48*, and I transitioned from there to 55* and 59* wedges. My current set has a gap wedge at 50* and I have found no need to change that transition, unless my inner club ho gnaws at me to try a different make :D

What is the best way yall go about getting your distances? Just go to a field and set targets out and hit to them? Or go to driving ranges? What's the best way you go about getting your distances dialed in?

What is the best way yall go about getting your distances? Just go to a field and set targets out and hit to them? Or go to driving ranges? What's the best way you go about getting your distances dialed in?

I use the range to get a rough idea but my true distances I use past experience on the course as my benchmark. I also take my "average" shot distance not the one when I catch it perfect as I don't do that enough to play off it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I drop some extra balls at various yardages on the course (when there's nobody behind me obviously) and swing away. I don't use driving ranges often since the balls and mats don't really represent on-the-course circumstances for me.

Track down a set gap wedge then go 54/58 or 52/56. IMO

I go 43 PW (Wilson D-200) to a 49 Cobra S9 set GW. Both of these are for full shots. Then i have 52 & 56 Callawaw Jaws wedges which are mostly used around the green and for partial shots. Works quite good for me

I've thought about tinkering with my wedge setup lately. My setup is a little odd, but it somewhat works and I'm using the single wedges I prefer to have in my bag in a 52* and 56* for my sand wedge. Currently my set PW is 45* and the AW is 50*, so I have a little overlap between the AW and the 52*. I think if I switch from the AW to a 48* wedge my gapping will even out a little more. What would the difference in spin be between a 48* wedge and a 50* set wedge in general? Right now I do use both the AW and 52* wedge quite often and they're both pretty versatile, just use them differently and I could probably split AW duties with the PW/48* if I switch from AW to 48*.

I've thought about tinkering with my wedge setup lately. My setup is a little odd, but it somewhat works and I'm using the single wedges I prefer to have in my bag in a 52* and 56* for my sand wedge. Currently my set PW is 45* and the AW is 50*, so I have a little overlap between the AW and the 52*. I think if I switch from the AW to a 48* wedge my gapping will even out a little more. What would the difference in spin be between a 48* wedge and a 50* set wedge in general? Right now I do use both the AW and 52* wedge quite often and they're both pretty versatile, just use them differently and I could probably split AW duties with the PW/48* if I switch from AW to 48*.

Where in the wedges do you stop with full swings? If you full swing the AW I would keep it and maybe bend the 52 a degree weak to smooth the gapping.

Where in the wedges do you stop with full swings? If you full swing the AW I would keep it and maybe bend the 52 a degree weak to smooth the gapping.

I take full swings with the 52* also and play it and the 56* for partial shots into the green. I never use the 56* for full swings, at least I shouldn't anyway. I never use the AW for partial swings, unless it's just a chip green side which I also use the PW for.

Back