WGC Accenture Match Play Championship [Spoilers]

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
All right, let's get this one going! This is one of my favorite weeks of the year, because it's the only Match Play tournament on the PGA Tour schedule. Lots of intriguing matchups are on tap for the first round, which is one of the best days of the golf year with 32 matches out there.

Other good storylines:
*Can Ian Poulter defend his first ever PGA Tour win this year and repeat?
*Will one of the European players like McDowell, McIlroy, Westwood, or Kaymer feed off of the Ryder Cup success from last year and win this match play event?
*Can Tiger turn back the clock to 2004, where this tournament was his only win of the year while he was going through swing changes?
*Will there be a Cinderella story like Kevin Sutherland, who won the tournament in 2002 as the #62 overall seed?
*Is Geoff Ogilvy poised to become a 3-time winner of this event?

Link to a printable bracket: http://i.cdn.turner.com/pgatour/docs/accenture-match-play.pdf

I cant wait for this event. I dont think Ogilvy will do it to be honest, and Im having a hard time choosing between Quiros and Poulter.

Sorry to IJP and fans but I don't think a repeat is in store (super tough draw with GMac, Quiros, and Allenby who's playing well and Fisher who's my darkhorse). I think this one will have a distinct Euro/Intl flavor to it. Sorry to the good ole USA but it looks as if some of the draws will have some of our boys knock each other out early.

I like the 2nd round matchup of Mickelson/Fowler (if Fowler gets through Hanson).

Good call spanks, I removed poulter.
Sorry to IJP and fans but I don't think a repeat is in store (super tough draw with GMac, Quiros, and Allenby who's playing well and Fisher who's my darkhorse). I think this one will have a distinct Euro/Intl flavor to it. Sorry to the good ole USA but it looks as if some of the draws will have some of our boys knock each other out early.

I like the 2nd round matchup of Mickelson/Fowler (if Fowler gets through Hanson).

This is always one of my very favorite events. I really hope we get a couple of big names fighting for the win at the end.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Im shocked that anybody is even thinking about this. Its Tiger Freaking Woods! He is back and he will win!

Really? Again?

yes really again. He is back and John Cook said so. He dominates in all things match play and will win!

I'm surprised Tim Clark hasn't WD'd from this yet. Another last minute scratch perhaps?

I'll bet Westy is ticked....finally get the overall 1 seed in this and he draws Henrick Stenson....while he hasn't been exactly tearing it up lately he has shown a ton of success in this event. Very tough draw for The Tooth.

Im really looking for to this, this comming weekend is going to be Golf Overload. Two days at a golf show and some match play on TV, I can't wait!

I'll bet Westy is ticked....finally get the overall 1 seed in this and he draws Henrick Stenson....while he hasn't been exactly tearing it up lately he has shown a ton of success in this event. Very tough draw for The Tooth.

Really?

Again? :alien:

yes really again. He is back and John Cook said so. He dominates in all things match play and will win!

I don't think he is going to get past Bjorn.

Really?

Again? :alien:
Do you disagree? Or is that a typical 1-16 type match? I think no matter the 1 that has to play a guy with the match play success that Stenson has would be a tough draw. I'm not knocking Westy in the least.

Ahh the trash talking has already begun. I love it! I can assure you that Tiger will NOT be in my line up. Neither is IJP for that matter.

I'm going to try and get to this event. My whole family is down in Tucson (minus the immediate) and out of the whole bunch there is usually someone who ends up with some kind of pass lol. Maybe not. Either way one of my favorite events.

I'm picking Tiger.

Im shocked that anybody is even thinking about this. Its Tiger Freaking Woods! He is back and he will win!

Man, I brought this up in my post to start this thread! To be completely serious, I think that match play suits Tiger more than a stroke play event right now, because he can have a couple of bad holes and it won't hurt him all that much. That being said, I would be glued to the TV for a Woods-Ogilvy or Woods-Harrington second round matchup, and wouldn't be surprised if he lost either match.

Westwood shouldn't be worried if the match goes to 18 with Stenson, because Stenson hit one of the worst shots I've ever seen a tour player hit off of the 18th tee at this event a few years ago:

Westwood shouldn't be worried if the match goes to 18 with Stenson, because Stenson hit one of the worst shots I've ever seen a tour player hit off of the 18th tee at this event a few years ago:

Now that's just embarrasing!!

I like Stenson in this, possibly because I'm not much of a Westy fan, but Stenson is either really hot or really cold. He's harder to guess than even TW, lol.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Okay here we go, after careful consideration, looking at each players stats and consulting my magic 8 Ball here is my team for this week:

Lee Westwood
Ian Poulter
Retief Goosen
Martin Kaymer
Charl Schwartzel
Miguel A. Jimenez
Phil Mickelson
Ernie Els
Graeme McDowell
Luke Donald

Back