What’s The Worst Weather You Have Played In?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Think back over your life of playing golf and the weather conditions you have played in. What is the worst it has been out there?

For the sake of discussion, let’s eliminate snow and ice and focus on rain, wind, cold and heat.

What say you THPers? What is the worst that you have gutted it out for?

Untitled-17-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...

High of 50* 15-20 MPH wind and constant light to medium rain. We packed for 70’s and the weather changed on us overnight so we were not dressed for it. Everyone headed to the closest outlet mall to buy a jacket that evening.

Right around 100° and humid on the upper end, and finished a round in downpours with some electric for a few holes, more of a got caught with the pants down and drenched so just embrace it.

I’d say playing in a heat index of around 105* at near 100% humidity and virtually zero breeze.

I’ve done cold, wet rounds, but never remember the wind being too bad.

Worst has to be on a trip to Pinehurst...started pouring rain and 30-40 mph winds during our back 9 on #4. Finished it out and found out a small tornado touched down a few miles away. Maybe not the best choice, but hey it's Pinehurst!

35 degrees and windy. The worst part of the whole thing was we were in Jacksonville. No luck with the weather on that trip.

Cold: mid 30s temps and mid 30s winds (with gusts to who knows what). I hit a driver on a par three that is normally a 7i. I hit a 6i with a tailwind that went 220. The very next hole I hit that same club into a headwind and it went 120. It was a wild day.

Heat: 110 in Phoenix. I told myself afterwards that would not be happening again.

I played once in the Palm Springs area where I tee’d of at about 12:30. The temperature at tee time was 112°. No breeze at all the entire day.

Just this past weekend, the 2nd day of our member/member tournament. It was close to 80 on Saturday and Sunday was low 50's, rain and 15-20 mph winds. It's a links style course, very open so that made it worse. A cold, wet, miserable round.

Close between heat index of 120 last summer or 40mph winds in a dust storm in west Texas.

I got caught out in a pop-up thunderstorm about 10 yrs ago and had to shelter on the leeward side of an irrigation/service building while getting pelted with golf-ball + sized hail. It stopped as soon as it started, and we finished the round with soaked to the bone playing on pock-marked greens.

Tail end of Hurricane at Ocean Reef in the Keys. Played a Tournament with my Friend who lived there. Poring Rain and Winds on practice day, I was a fanatic back then and wanted to play full 18, my Bud said Enough after 9. Rain was so acidic all my Stainless rusted.
We won the Tourny. Great memory because there were so many Sandbaggers that played every year.

At a charity scramble and it was 50 degrees and pouring down rain. Finally got called after 25 minutes of the sky just opening up on us. The greens were all puddles and could not even putt. I was having fun but most weren't because they did not have any rain gear. Felt bad for them but there were heaters where we congregated that helped out with all that got soaked.

Two extremes: the first was playing in snow along with high winds (didn't start until the back nine), the second was playing when the heat index hit 124º.

I can handle cold, but I played in 102 temp once here in Wisconsin. I remember there was no wind, it almost hurt to breathe. No shade whatsoever. Trying to golf when you're drenched in sweat is no fun at all.

Played Bandon Dunes last year and experienced about 40mph winds with hail for a hole. You can see the green covered in hail. It was coming in sideways and drilling your face. And then it switched to a downpour rain, in the low 40s. We were absolutely drenched, and I found out my stuff wasn't as waterproof as I thought. PXL_20230417_220404739.jpg

I can definitely handle the heat, so I'll go to the other extreme and say 40° at tee time no wind with a very small chance of rain. By the time we were on hole 11 it was in the 30's pouring down rain and 15-20mph gusts from a storm that popped up and blew in. We did finish because we knew it would be our last round of the season, but man did it suck.

I've also done the extreme's. low 30s and windy a few times. The first 12-13 holes from two weekends ago were multi layer rounds with hand warmers and heated vests for some. I've also played in the 90s with high humidity, those are some of the only times I would take a cart - walking that just isn't fun.

Honorable mention: once on a trip to San Diego a severe cold front came through and temps plummeted to 68. Wind gusts picked up to almost 5 mph and a couple of small clouds made it only 95% sunny. Locals were hysterical and started boarding up windows and breaking into earthquake kits.

It was terrifying.

Played in a variety of extremes. Live in Coachella Valley for many years and playing in 115 became normal. It was a “dry heat” but man it was hot!

Otherwise, played in a tourney where we saw all 4 seasons and multiple versions of precip. Started cool and windy, about hole 8 it started to snow, then rain and sleet/hail, followed by night sun on the last 2 holes which warmed everyone up. Craziest golf round weather I’ve had.

40 degrees with a steady rain that changed to snow about halfway through the round. And the week ended up not counting for league since our two foursomes were the only groups dumb enough to show up.

One of the worse that I can think of was a like 90-95 degree day here in MN in the summer hot and humid with around 20 to 30 mph wind, totally doable but then a storm moved in. We could see the storm coming and were trying to beat but it started slowly started raining and wind picked up to 30 to 40 mph, we continued to play until about the 15th which was not fun and don't know why we pushed through but then the real storm hit with like 50 mph gust and it down poured and started to hail at least quarter sized with some big lightning. Once that hit we were done and but driving in a golf cart with that wind and hail really hurt getting back to the clubhouse. There was no real cover as this was a links style course.

That crazy cold windy day at Hammock Beach for Distance Bash where @JB kept asking “Why are we playing in this?” Is definitely one of mine.

Played in some wild winds/light rain in Ireland last year at Royal Portrush.

Back