What do you get out of Golf?

FlyitWithFury

Reaction score
I absolutely love golf, love the challenge, the camaraderie, the mental game, the physical aspect, the raw beauty of it all. My favorite time to play is first thing in the morning as the world is waking up, getting to hear the birds sing while watching the sun give life to everything it touches. One of my favorite things about golf is hitting a bad shot, it gives you a chance to use some imagination and thought and a chance to immediately redeem yourself.

I joined THP in 2010 and lurked for a few months posted a few times, and came to the realization I didn't have the time or energy to devote to improve my game. Maybe I am wired a little different but this cool Forum actually demotivated me about golf. I didn't realize until a few months ago that I took almost a three year break from the game. I have started playing again and remembered what its all about.

What I get out of golf is the therapeutic escape from real life. I can completely forget about deadlines, or work pressures. Have a laugh with buddies and challenge myself as much or as little as I want that day. I try to use the time as a way to be appreciative of the ability to have so much fun. I really don't care what I shoot and don't really want to get better just want to play the game.

So... What do You get out of Golf?

Besides a living, I get a bond and camaraderie of playing with people that all share passion and love for the game and all it encompasses.
When you add playing with THPers into the mix, it reaches a whole new level.

I am like you. I love the challenge and mental aspect of the game. I love playing in the morning, when the dew is still on the grass. Golf is a huge stress relief for me. I love getting out there and pounding the crap outta the ball. I also like challenging myself and trying to shoot my career round each time I am out.

I've learned a lot of new curses.

I get away. A little peace and quiet. A way to challenge myself and have something to work towards that is enjoyable. I get to enjoy the company of friends and family. Get to learn.

Me time.

Even if I am golfing with somebody, the time I grab a club, address the ball, am complete my swing I am all by myself and in my own space. I love that.

Two different ways, 1 I treat it like the most serious hobby I will never make any money on or be any good at. You have to be clicking on all cylinders in order for a complete game of golf to be successful. However I also think of it not too seriously and that's the best part, you can still have tons of fun with other people, strangers and friends, and get outdoors and see new places.

Frustration.

I get everything out of golf. Happiness, friendship, competitiveness, tranquility, passion, and a vacation from all the other stuff going on.

The group of lads I play with on a Saturday morning is very relaxed and we all enjoy some friendly banter and competition - this rates quite highly for me as something I get from Golf.

Above and beyond that it’s some exercise and satisfying my number one hobby :thumb:

Release. I place where you can lay aside the stress of the day/week/month and Be in your own world for a bit.

I get a lot from golf. First and foremost its time I get to spend with my father we are close to begin with but out on the course its a different bond. I find its also a great way to get my mind off of school and any other stress from daily life there is just something about being out on the course when there is no city noise, just nature. Finally knowing the fact the any shot I hit is completely on me whether good or bad is a great feeling.

Mostly I get good times, for all of the reasons noted above.

~Rock

I get away. A little peace and quiet. A way to challenge myself and have something to work towards that is enjoyable. I get to enjoy the company of friends and family. Get to learn.

Exactly. You nailed it for me as well.

Golf is my release, my escape. Its also fortunately become so much more than that as a method of continuing to learn SO much and to be able to spread that knowledge to help others. Its made me a happier person, a better person, and a better husband by being an absolute outlet. Its so much more than a game for me.

It is my escape from life. I love how I do not have the weight of work or projects on my shoulders as I walk down the fairway (or in the woods if my slice pops up) and only care about what the next shot will be and how to play it. It focuses me and is calming, even during poor rounds.

A little me time. A short time that I don't have to think about the little nuisances of daily life. But most of all, I don't have to hear the constant bickering between my two kids (a 9 year old who thinks she's 18 and a 14 year old who thinks he's the boss :banghead: )

It is a way for me to be outside. I also don't have many hobbies and it is a way for me to feel invested in something. It's also a way I can be competitive and intense like I used to be when I was on actual sports teams

I love the challenge to improve my own game. I played team sports my whole life and I am really enjoying golf because if things go wrong you can only blame yourself. The game has also helped me learn about myself, I have found myself taking a step back after a round and really honestly examining my play. This has translated to other parts of my life as well. This game teaches you to be humble.

Being outside is just a bonus along with playing with life long friends or meeting new ones that share my same passion for golf.

Golf to me, is the perfect harmony between challenge, competition, and fun. What other thing in the world can you do where you are with a group of people, competing against each other, but at the same time respect what they're doing, because you're playing against the course, not them. Nothing they do affects your game. It's always a personal challenge, whether it's for a personal best, or just saying I want to try something different. Golf allows you that because it's just you and the course. You said 'I want to try and work on my draw this hole', boom, done, it's an instantaneous action, response, and result. But most of all, golf is fun. You get away from the stresses of work and life. Whether you're playing alone or with a group of new people, or my favorite, with a group of THP'ers, however it is, I'm at peace when I'm on the course. And that's what makes me happy and live this game.

Dan

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure what I get out of it. I just know I really like doing it.

A healthy outlet for my slightly obsessive personality and over active mind.
A lifetime endeavour to see how good or not so good I can become at this game.
Fun with friends and a way to meet new people.
Exercise.

Fun.

Enjoyment - also I get to spend time with my Dad who taught me how to play the game. Outside of that, I enjoy spending time playing with friends, randoms, and at times not really talking to anyone and just enjoying my time outside on a course....its nice to have some "quiet"/alone time when working in sales....95% of the time at work I am on the phone....

I enjoy the challenge of trying to improve and to play my best when I get out. It almost never happens, but that's why we keep going out.

Being outside with family and friends or even just nice people (which describes 99% of the people you meet golfing) in a beautiful setting is a huge bonus.

And of course there's those memorable times - "Hey - remember that time you hit one off the cart, it bounced back and hit the flagstick and it dropped an inch from the cup?" Or, "Hey, remember that time you swung so hard the ball went behind you?" Those memories are priceless and certainly don't happen playing Tiger Woods on XBox.

An Empty Wallet!

Back