Video What is Causing The Early Extension

shadymg

Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen enough Monte posts to know that my early extension is not the fault but the result of a fault elsewhere in my setup and/or Swing itself. But nonetheless I have still struggled immensely with it, and obviously with consistency. My miss tends to be a pull, with an occasional block right, depending how handsy i get in the swing. I've had 4 coaches, honestly unimpressed with all of them, so off to the internet i go! Any help/tips/drills would be wonderful. I'm a 14 hcp, so not horrific, but I go to the range every day so I know I should be better.

Videos of a couple clubs here:

i'm no expert but while your lower body seems to load fine in the backswing, but it looks like your arms are outracing your chest a bit. i wonder if you shorten the backswing a little if you would be more sync'd up.

that's a great point and something i've definitely noticed, where my arms sometimes go faster than my chest, and then of course the ball goes left (BOO!). Not sure how to better time things, or if that's just practice practice?

For what it's worth I don't think your early extension is that bad. Its something I was working on a bit over the winter. The best drill I found to help with it was the step drill. That gets your right knee and hips/pelvis going towards the target rather than towards the ball.

I don't think your early extension is that bad either. You may be leaning/reaching too far toward the ball at setup though. That last swing you look like you are almost going to fall backward trying to find balance after impact.

good observation! i sometimes will be falling backwards (on driver typically) as I really try to get that weight to the front foot heel. Less than ideal for sure. Thanks for the comments on it not being that bad. I just got back from the range and had a much better session, primary focus was on shortening the backswing from what you see in the above videos, and got much better results. My main miss as mentioned before was the arms going too fast ahead of my chest and pulling left

Keep some more bend in your right leg on the way back so you don't reverse pivot. You're starting down with your upper body. Keep your hands high as you load into your left side to initiate the down swing.

Last edited:
It could be that the trail knee is collapsing early, your lead shoulder starts up and back instead of more around? Idk, It doesn't look to bad to me.

Do you have a face on video?

These were from a few weeks back, so god knows how much i've tweaked my swing since then lol. Thanks all for the replies though!! I'm feeling actually better about it not being completely horrific:

Dude. You’re me until recently. Until you learn to use your lower body first and let the arms drop on transition you’ll fight the 2 way miss.

I had enough of it and went through multiple lessons, Golftec etc...

If you’re wanting to go at it online here’s couple of things got me over the hump. The DEAD drill by RST and Shawn Clement’s throw the club and kettlebell drills. The DEAD drill got me learning to use my lower body. Clement rid me of mechanical thoughts while I’ve played.

So I’ve done thousands and thousands of reps with the DEAD drill to engrain the motion but struggled to take that to the course. I’ve done online lessons with them and it’s helped. For the course I’ve implemented the Clement feeling of throwing the kettlebell/club unit to the right of my intermediate target and it’s got me free of mechanical swing thoughts while I play. I’ve been experiencing my best ball striking ever since.

It’s a tough journey. A year of painful golf. Finally I’m letting gravity do it’s thing with a target focus and it’s been liberating. I was almost ready to quit the game a year ago. Now I’m focusing on getting my short game in order to lower the HCP.

Keep some more bend in your right leg on the way back so you don't reverse pivot. You're starting down with your upper body. Keep your hands high as you load into your lift set to initiate the down swing.

This.

But it’s not a bad case. I watched you swing about 5 times each with what I assume was a W and a Driver? I’ve seen some ugly swings. Hell I have an ugly swing. Yours isn’t that bad.

Your right hand grip looks very under the club as if the palm is facing the camera. Have you ever considered using a more neutral grip with the palms facing each other?

Unsure but it seems you have a lot of pressure on the front leg at the end of your backswing , almost a reverse pivot.

Your right hand grip looks very under the club as if the palm is facing the camera. Have you ever considered using a more neutral grip with the palms facing each other?

Unsure but it seems you have a lot of pressure on the front leg at the end of your backswing , almost a reverse pivot.

yeah, his grip is super strong.

Very nice swing. I might like to see the hips remain more horizontal as opposed to the rise of trailing hip during backswing.

I can't thank everyone enough on the replies. I'll definitely take a look at the DEAD drill. I've tried some of Shawn Clement but it hasn't meshed with my brain.

Those of you noticing the weight on the front in the bacswing ARE CORRECT! This is a new change for me, didn't know it was called a reverse pivot. My reasonfor doing so was after looking at my face on viewI noticed that my left hip would sway wayyyy away from the start line during the backswing. So watched and read about in backswing taking your right hip and that is what moves towards where the left butt is. But as you all noticed, it's putting more weight on my left foot which is a bit weird. Fwiw contact has been much better than whenI swayed. I've always struggled getting the weight over to my left foot at impact (lots of thins).

Final piece on the grip. My left hand isneutral, and you're correct the right hand is strong.i used to have both hands strong and it was a nightmare (pull hooks, duh). I tried going more neutral with both but for whatever reason if that right hand goes neutral,I come over the top. I don't think it causes many issues as long as my left hand stays in control. Bigger fish to fry lol

keeping weight on your target side isn’t awful, particularly with irons and wedges. but a reverse pivot makes a lot of things harder in the downswing.

Crazy how many coaches I've had and I'm asking this lol but...how do I rotate properly in the backswing then, without reverse pivot, to keep that left hip against the wall, but then move the right hip back and towards the front? (If that makes sense, trying to not sway)

Crazy how many coaches I've had and I'm asking this lol but...how do I rotate properly in the backswing then, without reverse pivot, to keep that left hip against the wall, but then move the right hip back and towards the front? (If that makes sense, trying to not sway)
The correct hip action has the left hip as the hinge with the right hip moving back during the backswing. Then the right hip becomes the hinge with the left hip moving back until it is just past or level with the right hip during the early part of the downswing. It is at this point that extension occurs naturally to fire he hips through impact. Use your glutes and tailbone. I am sure you will work it out

Last edited:
Your lower body action now causes your spine and head to tilt toward the target during your coiling. When you get it right your head should feel level and your spine centered at the top of your backswing.

That's the one thing I noticed too. I would imagine that makes it extremely easy for the right hand to push over top of the left hand on the way down.

Google wall drill.

Google wall drill.

Ah, duh. Yeah, i've done that one in the past. Indoors, without a club, my pivot is picture perfect i tell ya! :) but good reminder to just keep on keeping on with that drill, try to turn that feel into real on the range, then hopefully the course. I used to "sway" as an effort to gain more power (or so i thought in my head), so the atleast the positive part of the reverse pivot i've been doing keeping that left hip against the wall (more than before at least) is my impact location on the face has much improved. But It's one of those where i KNEW i wasn't doing it right lol.

Again, can't thank everyone enough for the replies, I actually feel hopeful/optimistic about things!

It's your pivot (back and down)...that's the main cause. You sway back, then you sway forward, your release is a result of those motion patterns (very flat shoulders too, which doesn't help) . To change the EE, you need to change the Pivots. The EE is actually needed or you'd miss the ball, so it matches with everything else you have going on.

Monte's no turn cast might work once or twice as a band aide, but you should look to get your Pivots in order if you want to see identifiable changes that stick. It's not hard though...you can do it.

Ah, duh. Yeah, i've done that one in the past. Indoors, without a club, my pivot is picture perfect i tell ya! :) but good reminder to just keep on keeping on with that drill, try to turn that feel into real on the range, then hopefully the course. I used to "sway" as an effort to gain more power (or so i thought in my head), so the atleast the positive part of the reverse pivot i've been doing keeping that left hip against the wall (more than before at least) is my impact location on the face has much improved. But It's one of those where i KNEW i wasn't doing it right lol.

Again, can't thank everyone enough for the replies, I actually feel hopeful/optimistic about things!
You have to break it down into pieces...learn them one at a time without a club.

Back