What is your preferred iron shaft weight?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Easy question. I usually like to hover around 110 but I have found more success with heavier shafts at times. What is your preferred weight and have you experimented with others?

I used to be big on the 115-120 range. Now I'm pretty comfortable at the 95-105 spot.

115-120 seems to be my comfy range. 130 feel way to heavy and I have trouble keeping the club on plane once I move below 110

115-120

Gradually trying to work my way down. Played 125-130 previous. Now 110 in one set currently.

95 was too light.

I play AMT's. So, variable. haha. In the past I have been a 125-130 guy.. I am not sure I want to swing that heavy anymore.

I play AMT's. So, variable. haha. In the past I have been a 125-130 guy.. I am not sure I want to swing that heavy anymore.

I've been 100% TT AMT for the last 7 years. I love the heavier 130ish weight in the wedges tapering down to only 106 grams in the 4 iron.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 8.50.49 AM.png

I went from lightweight 67 graphite to 110 to 105 to 130 to 120 to 115 graphite and now I’ve got some 110 graphites on the way. I like the lighter shafts I’m just not sure my swing likes it as much as I do. Part of me wants to just drop to as low as possible but I’m going to trust the 110 recommendation and see how that performs.

When I first went to graphite iron shafts they were around 65 - 70, and they felt great. My current irons shafts were the result of a Club Champion fitting, where I found that my sweet spot for graphite iron shafts is 95s, still great feel, more consistency, and way better dispersion.

Currently play gram. I do have a set of clubs with 110 recoils. I prefer the 95s. Have played shafts as low as 80. Spent some time at Club Champion a few weeks ago trying new shafts. After several options with a couple different heads fitter said stick with your i95s

I had been playing Steelfiber 95s in my last set of irons. Based on the Mizuno shaft analyzer I tried some 110g shafts at my fitting in the fall and wound up with the Modus 120 which is 110g in my new irons. At the fitting I hit the M120 as far as SF and more consistently. It is early in my season so I am not certain about them yet.

Its funny when people pickup my irons they always comment how heavy they are haha. Current irons have PX LZ 6.5 and they are 125g

95 - 105 but have played heavier shafts successfully.

Its funny when people pickup my irons they always comment how heavy they are haha. Current irons have PX LZ 6.5 and they are 125g

I have heard that a number of times as well. Curious, do you play them at a pretty heavy swing weight?

130 grams. I have tried lighter in fittings, but feel more comfortable with the heavier iron shaft.

I have heard that a number of times as well. Curious, do you play them at a pretty heavy swing weight?
I actually have no idea what the swing weight is 🤷‍♂️

PX Catalyst 80's seem to be the sweet spot for me.

I currently play the Nippon Modus 120 which seem to work great. I do want to get my hands on some recoil 110

85 - 95 grams seems best for me

I tend to see better results with heavier iron shafts. Was fitted into 130g shafts last go-around, but are currently playing lighter shafts and things are working well in the long irons, not so great with the shorter ones. Maybe I’ll give the AMTs a shot?

Started with DGx100 which were 130 also tried the 120. Now i play $taper 120. I like the 120 weight but havent hit x100 in a while and would like to try Modus 130 and see if i like the heavier weight now with a better swing

Played 115g last year with good success, moved to a 95g this year and like them

I tend to see better results with heavier iron shafts. Was fitted into 130g shafts last go-around, but are currently playing lighter shafts and things are working well in the long irons, not so great with the shorter ones. Maybe I’ll give the AMTs a shot?
I never liked the AMT shafts personally but many do

Back