What would happen to your score if you kept driver in the bag and did this.......

jackod

Reaction score
Does your driver help or hurt your score?

What would happen to your score if you kept driver in the bag and did this? On the 14 non par 3 holes imagine you walked from the tee box down the center of the fairway exactly 200 yards and dropped your ball there. From that point you play your second shot and finish the hole, and you repeat this for all 14 non par 3 holes.

Do you think your score would be better, worse, or about the same?

I think probably worse. Driver is a strength of my game, while I do lose maybe one ball or so a round off the tee, I am almost always significantly closer than 200 yards from the green for my second (aside from Par 5s)

Interesting question though

I think probably worse. Driver is a strength of my game, while I do lose maybe one ball or so a round off the tee, I am almost always significantly closer than 200 yards from the green for my second (aside from Par 5s)

Interesting question though
this puts you 200 yards off the tee box - not 200 yards from the green - you could still be 350 from the green on a par 5

this puts you 200 yards off the tee box - not 200 yards from the green - you could still be 350 from the green on a par 5
Ah yes totally misread this - definitely worse then.

About the same. Driver is not my strength and 215-240 is average for me.

Shotscope says my tee shots are the best part of my game and I primarily use driver. That is a strategy I will keep. Long approaches into par 4s and no opportunities to go for par 5s in 2 will not help my score

Worse. I would be giving up around 80-100 yards usually.

I would score worse. Im not the longest hitter in the world off the tee, but I need more than 200 yards from the tee box for my second shot.

From the tees I normally play, this would putt me 180-210 out on par 4s. 300 out on par 5s.

I would shoot worse.

From the tees I normally play, this would putt me 180-210 out on par 4s. 300 out on par 5s.

I would shoot worse.
Exactly my thought. I would be miserable with 200 yard shots in to Par 4s.

My score would definitely be worse. Driver is not a weakness. My accuracy would not substantially improve by hitting 3W or less. Giving up the yardage would be a problem.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think what we've learned from Shotscope and some of the studies is that the "bomb and gouge" approach generally leads to better scores for amateurs. So I'll keep swinging with the driver and even though I may lose a ball or two during the round I'll put myself in a better position more often than not.

My scores would be about the same I think. I'm a short hitter so wouldn't be losing that much distance, but would drop the couple drives that put me in trouble or result in a penalty stroke.

Honestly, it would be about the same for me. I'm not a bomber off the tee, so it would be familiar territory.

I would likely do OK as my course has a lot of doglegs and mid-long iron play is a strength of mine. But there would be very little upside potential.

Overall i'd say worse. But never losing balls does have some benefits. So it's worse but probably not as much as i initially thought

Exactly my thought. I would be miserable with 200 yard shots in to Par 4s.
Having too many approach shots with mid irons, 5-7, gets exhausting. Just no fun at all.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think what we've learned from Shotscope and some of the studies is that the "bomb and gouge" approach generally leads to better scores for amateurs. So I'll keep swinging with the driver and even though I may lose a ball or two during the round I'll put myself in a better position more often than not.
Jlew - each time you lose a ball or two off the tee - are you then hitting shot # 3 from the tee box?

As a senior, 200 yards off the tee is about average. That’s why I play from the more forward tees. So my scores would be about the same, probably a few strokes lower due to being able to play it from the middle of the fairway and no OB, or recovery shots needed.

My score would almost certainly be worse. My driver, even with its faults, is my best weapon. Currently averaging 271 off the tee and typically have a wedge in hand for my second shot. I'm just as inaccurate with a long iron as I am driver, if not more so. I think my GIR would drop to nearly zero if I were 70 yards back, even if it was in the fairway.

Worse. Driver is a weapon for me so far this year.

Probably worse. I’m not a big hitter, but I knock it out further than 200. I’m also pretty accurate with my driver. If I miss the fairway, it’s rare for me to get into any sort of serious trouble. Its definitely the best club in my bag by quite a margin.

Hard to say really but the question is why would I want to do that? Doesn't sound like fun I like hitting my driver

It depends on the course. If it had a lot of short par 4's - like 350 or less - I'd be able to hit a short iron or wedge still into every green. Flip side, I'd give up a stroke on nearly every par 5. I think it'd be a wash to slightly worse. If the par 4's are longer, it will definitely be worse.

Back